General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - First Tri Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - First Tri Distance - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of Texas Triathlon
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 36s
Overall Rank = 4/85
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

ate toast (accidentally burnt!! :( ) with jelly, drank ALOT.. arrived at the event at 8:20am, perfect timing. My race started at 10:15. I watched the other swimmers before I finally had to go down. It helped to calm my nerves a lot. Setting up my stuff at transition was neat. I think I did a pretty good job!
Event warmup:

treaded water to make sure I wasn't too nervous. Stretched.
Swim
  • 12m
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

VERY tough swim. Couldn't catch my flow! Was a little panicky from all of the other swimmers. I was in a wave with 85 girls and it made things very difficult. Started near the back and had to pass a lot of people. Was out of breathe early. Very panicked because people kept kicking me and water got in my face. Everything started out ok, but as soon as I started to pass people it started getting hectic. I finished about MOP, but was on my back probably 2/3rds of the time.
What would you do differently?:

Warm-up, be more aware of my surroundings, try to do better on my strokes. I just need to practice swimming in general..
Transition 1
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

My T1 felt very quick, but apparently It wasn't! I think I took too long to put on my shoes.. Definitely going to have to practice this more. Ran the entire way into the transition area and threw everything on. Got on my socks very easily (the main thing I was worried about).

Eventually I would like to try clipping my shoes in and putting them on on the bike.. I think that would help my time.
Bike
  • 24m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I did AWESOME on the bike. Passed a lot of people! The wind was tough.. VERY strong wind for much of the course. Most of the time in your face. I think it tired me more than I would have been otherwise. 20+mph winds. I was neck and neck with a girl in my age group for much of the time and ended up beating her out at the end, which was a good feeling :)

Get more time in on the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

This needs to get better. Not sure why it was so slow? I felt like I was going pretty fast. I think it's my bike shoes..

I think I need tri shoes that are easier to get off and on.. Going to look into it. PRACTICE more!
Run
  • 26m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran pretty fast.. I think I ran too slow on my first mile though. It'll just take practice! It was a very hot day and I had a little bit of a headache. Didn't get passed and passed a lot of people. Sprinted HARD the last 200m and passed two girls in my group! Nice to know I still have some fast-twitch muscles ;)

Run faster the first mile. Time my miles so I know where I am. Figure out mile markers beforehand.
Post race
Warm down:

drank lots of water, took pictures, met up with family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

BAD swim. Wore myself out by swimming on my back a lot. I think my run could have been better if I could learn to do better on the swim.

Event comments:

Race was very large.. But I thought it was definitely very beginner friendly. I think they should have split the females into two different waves.. but other than that, it was great!

Last updated: 2011-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 437 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 37/85
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Rectangular.. 3 turn buoys. Had the wind at our back on the first straight and against it on the last straight. Water was much more choppy on the last straight.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:00 | 06.21 miles | 15.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 8/85
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: BEAUTIFUL. Went up to the TX Capitol, back down, up Caesar Chavez, and then back. A couple of tough hills where you had to get out of your saddle. Strong winds..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:07 | 03.11 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 5/85
Performance: Good
Course: One lap up Riverside and then up a small side street and back through downtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-31 9:01 AM

Charlotte, North Carolina
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - First Tri Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - First Tri Distance Rss Feed