General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 bucks for the masters swim session Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-27 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Subject: 5 bucks for the masters swim session
Hi all,
There's a masters swim class starting around here but they want 5 bucks per session. Would it be worth it? I don't want to give 5 bucks just to swim in a group doing laps.

2005-08-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: #235449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: 5 bucks for the masters swim session

I just joined my YMCA's master swim session here locally for free (was already a member) - if you are going to do it all offseason, you might think about becoming a member for 6 months, it might be a cheaper route to go. I think the instruction and critique will be good, I suffer from not structuring my swimming workouts, so it works for me to have someone else think through the workout and plan it for me.

Oh, and the swimming gods did get their $5 out of my hide - the nearest Open  Water Swim costs me $5 every time, so I hear where you are coming from.

2005-08-27 9:26 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
That sounds about right for a coached workout, which is what Master's is.  Go a few times, and see what you think. 
2005-08-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #235526

User image

Extreme Veteran
The masters class I'm startig is $6 so you're getting a deal.
2005-08-28 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Ours are $9/session. I'm having the same debate you are.  I can create and stick to the exact same workouts as Masters. I can even go at the same time and swim the same thing they have on their board. Since I'm a good swimmer, I'm not sure I need the technique coaching, although it couldn't hurt. But for $9/session, I don't know if I can choke that down!
2005-08-28 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

I here ya nbo10...I went to my first $5 masters class about a week or two ago.  I got nothing out of it except near injuries.  Here is what I'm thinking...

If your a disciplined swimmer and decent enough your not trying to really improve your times much but more or less trying to get the distance in...Masters classes is not for you.

If you’re searching for some instruction on how to get faster and need drill workouts and the such for ideas on workouts on your own time...Masters classes is for you.

*RANT*  read no further if you don't want to hear my personal complaint.

My problem, I'm the first.  I have a decent enough swim time now that I need to focus more on my bike and run speed first.  So swimming for me is about making sure I can go the distance and that is how I've been training.  Then when I went to the Masters class they had me doing all kinds of sprints.  1.5 years of long distance training and all of a sudden I'm doing sprints...my shoulders didn't handle it very well.  If you know your stuff about swimming and your shoulders are hurting then you know your not doing things right, it should be your lats and tri's.  I don't give a rats ass about how well I can sprint and my shoulders agree.  I'm only going back one more time...and that's to pay them the 5 bucks I didn't have on me the first time.

2005-08-28 7:50 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Uh... if you don't want to go that fast - don't!

Swim in the next slower lane down, be the last one in your lane, etc.  I love masters, but that doesn't mean that I always do their workouts at their intensity.

If you swim master's they kinda assume that all you do is swimming.  You don't have to kill yourself, and I find that throwing in some sprint sets now and again is all to the good.  I do most of my master's workouts at a easy to medium intensity - with SOME stuff being hard. 

I have improved immensely, but I am still in charge of what I will or won't do for that day.  If I don't feel like it, or I need something a little different, I just work what I'm doing into what they're doing.

Edited by cadreamer 2005-08-28 7:51 PM
2005-08-29 3:24 AM
in reply to: #236000

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

Sooooo why are you spending 5 bucks a pop for that? I can do all my own training at my own pace w/o coaching for free.

The masters coach at the swim I went to knows that a majority of his swimmers are Triathletes...he is one himself.  But I would agree with your statement that masters in general are probably assuming the swimmers are there to swim only.  I just don't see why I should spend 5 bucks for..."If I don't feel like it, or I need something a little different, I just work what I'm doing into what they're doing."  Seems like a waste...but then again I'm a single income family with 4 mouths to feed...watching where I spend my money is a big priority.  You do the math...1 class a week at 52 weeks = $260 = enough money to enter 4 or more races during the year...much better spent money if you ask me.  The motivation of knowing I have to train for a race every 3 months is enough to get my butt in the pool.

Hopefully you can see my point…if not, maybe I’m wrong and I’ll just shut up about this.  BTW, is anyone offering group rides with a fee, I’d like to sign up for that. 

2005-08-29 8:30 PM
in reply to: #236158

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Sooooo why are you spending 5 bucks a pop for that? I can do all my own training at my own pace w/o coaching for free. 

Because when I think of doing a 2500 yard workout on my own, it just sounds like drudgery, but if I jump in the pool, and the coach says do 5x100 then I do that.  Then they say something else and I do that.  Before I know it, 2500... done.

I do whatever they are doing, just maybe not the all out intensity stuff.  So a build set, I'll go easy to medium, instead of easy to hard, for example.  I like the variety, it keeps it interesting and fun.

I've gotten a LOT better.  Form, stroke, efficiency, speed.  I can swim butterfly now.  (I know, not triathlon specific, but something I've always wanted to do, and now I can.)  I know the coaches and they help me out with my stroke when I ask/feel ready for more information about how I can improve.

I can swim Pacific Masters events, and I get a magazine because I'm a Masters swimmer.  Since I love swimming, and like to do stand-alone swim events, this is a good thing for me.  Also, there's a lot of triathletes that swim there, and I know most of the other swimmers, so kind of a good group workout activity.  I really like that aspect.  I guess for me, there's quite a bit that's social about it.  I do most of my running and biking alone, it's nice to have at least one thing where you're seeing other people.  And, it doesn't really matter that I'm not all that fast, because we all end up back at the wall anyway, so I don't have the limitations of running/riding where I feel like I'm holding up the group. (Hopefully not forever, but this is how it is right now.)

Yes, you have to decide where your money goes, for me this is what I have chosen to spend my money on.  I hear what you are saying about single income, 4 kids, I don't have that much money either - we all have to decide what gives us the most "bang for the buck."

As far as group rides, have you checked out the cycling clubs in your area?  I thought AZ was pretty good for that aspect.

2005-08-29 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well my $5 tonight was dollars well spent. But as a newb in the water the coaching makes all the difference in the world. But if you've been at this a while and like to work on your own I can certainly see how one might rather swim alone.
2005-08-29 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
The only masters group I've tried was $50/mo plus the USMS yearly fee plus a one time $100 sign-up. BUT that included the pool. if you pay a membership to a gym just to swim, figure out what your workouts cost, say if you only swim 3 X per week. You'll be astonished. Of course if your masters swim workout price is in addition to this then I'm not sure it's cool. My current local club just posts workouts. There is no coaching, no group workout, but no cost. I should hope not.

FWIW The FAST masters in Ft. Worth is a great club and a great deal and I would encourage anyone who could find something similar to do so. M,T,W,Th, evenings and Sat morning workouts, all expertly coached. If you hit them all that would be 20 workouts per month. that is a hell of a deal. And they do meets as well.

2005-08-30 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Five dollars per session sounds like a very good deal to me.  Besides designing a training program to suit your fitness level, a good coach will teach you how to perfect your stroke.  It is one thing to learn to swim on your own but another to have a professional point out the litle imperfections that you need to rid yourself of.  And, you needn't go to these sessions indefinitely; just go often enough to learn the strokes well.  Then, you can train on your own.
2005-08-30 7:28 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
The gym that I go to offers $5 masters swimming class as well. Once a week every Tuesday for 1.5 hour. Classes will start again in mid-September. Since I have never done a masters session, I think I will give it a shot. I will let you know how it goes.
2005-08-30 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
My health club offers a master's class for $35/month, two sessions a week, so I'm getting a great bargain.

Doing my swimming in a class has had several benefits for me. First, there's less temptation to skip a workout if I've paid for it. Second, I get feedback on my stroke that I can't give myself -- and to me, swimming is THE most dependent of the tri disciplines on technique. Third, it's easier to push the envelope when the coach tells you what to do: "10 x 100 with 15 seconds rest? Whatever you say, coach."
2005-08-30 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
My masters class is free with my YMCA membership. They are every Tuesday and Thursday at lunchtime. I don't get much feedback on my stroke but I get to practice with other people, which is good motivation. Most of my training is done by myself, so its fun once in a while to be with other people. Also, I get to practice other strokes and I don't have to bother with building my own workout.
2005-08-30 8:44 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
I signed up for masters swim class!! Once a week every Tuesday, starting next week. Let's see how it goes.

2005-08-31 8:02 AM
in reply to: #235463

Veteran
Michigan
csgomez - 2005-08-27 7:45 PM

Oh, and the swimming gods did get their $5 out of my hide - the nearest Open  Water Swim costs me $5 every time, so I hear where you are coming from.

Huh? It costs you $ to use open water? Pardon my ignorance, but I just don't get that.
2005-08-31 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

Lake Pleasant in AZ is open water and charges $5 to park your car even if your there for just 30min.  I hate going unless I'm carpooling with someone.

P.S.

My comment about wanting to find a group bike ride where I could pay money was sarcasim...and in fact you can -- a spin class.  But at least you get other things when your paying money for that.

Man am I CHEAP!!!

2005-08-31 2:19 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
$1.50 a session here.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 bucks for the masters swim session Rss Feed