General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coeur d'Alene Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-31 2:47 PM

Subject: Coeur d'Alene Triathlon : Official Thread
This will be my first year doing the CDA Tri, and my first Olympic distance tri. Woo-hoo!! Super excited.  The open water is exciting and scary to me at the same time.  I'm deciding between a sleeveless or full sleeve wetsuit.  I like the sleeveless because I feel less confined and have a greater ROM, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by freezing! :) Any of you CDA veterans have any helpful input??  Thanks!

2011-05-31 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3526031

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Coeur d'Alene Triathlon : Official Thread

I've never been in that lake this early in the year. I am heading up there in June to volunteer for IM CDA so I will be taking the wetsuit to give it a shot and see how cold it really is.

Given the fact that a lot of people wear booties and hoods for the IM swim I imagine the water is pretty cold. Especially this year with so much snow left on the mountains.

Good luck in your first Oly, hope you have a great time!

2011-06-01 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I'm not a race veteran, but I am a local.

In early August, the lake will be at its warmest.  I'm sure the water will be mid 70's and a lot of people won't wear wetsuits at all, sleeveless will be fine - you might even get too warm in one.

I haven't signed up yet, but I have been training for Cd'A Tri since January.  I haven't done any tris yet, my first sprint is this Sunday.  Assuming I survive a couple of sprints that I'm signed up for, I will be signing up for Cd'A Oly also.

2011-06-01 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Oh cool, I thought the Oly was the weekend after the IM.

Yeah August should be nice a warm.

2011-06-02 10:17 PM

It is plenty warm in August for sleeveless. I was almost to hot in a full sleeve suit. A full sleeve suit would be more versatile for other colder swims though if you are only going to get one.
2011-06-23 5:49 PM

Thanks for all your messages.  I was thinking it should be pretty warm in August, but a couple people told me I should consider a full sleeve as that lake stays colder than many all year long, plus all the late run-off this year.  I'm feeling better about the sleeveless option now though - thanks for the insight. 

This is only my second year of doing triathlons - without knowing how much I'll get into it for the longterm, I'm having a difficult time deciding what to get and what I'll use most. So does anyone have any suggestions for deals on wetsuits or economical places to check out for buying one?

Thanks!

2011-06-24 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

This site is usually a good resource. They almost always have a deal on Xterra wetsuits.

Xterra's aren't the best suits on the market but many people use them and are very happy with them. Since you are just getting in it might be better to get a decent Xterra than spend $500-600 on a high end suit.

2011-06-24 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3564792

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
amandabc123 - 2011-06-23 3:49 PM

Thanks for all your messages.  I was thinking it should be pretty warm in August, but a couple people told me I should consider a full sleeve as that lake stays colder than many all year long, plus all the late run-off this year.  I'm feeling better about the sleeveless option now though - thanks for the insight. 

This is only my second year of doing triathlons - without knowing how much I'll get into it for the longterm, I'm having a difficult time deciding what to get and what I'll use most. So does anyone have any suggestions for deals on wetsuits or economical places to check out for buying one?

Thanks!

You might also consider just renting a suit until you're sure you want to commit.  I think Fitness Fanatics, in the Spokane Valley has rental suits.

2011-07-26 3:47 PM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA
I swam CDA recently (July 23, 2011) and it is warm enough to swim with no wetsuit (it feels slightly chilly) and its perfect for a full sleeve wetsuit.
2011-07-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3615819

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Does anybody know if they close Cd'A Lake Drive at all during the bike?  My family was thinking of leaving after the swim start and driving out to Tony's to watch the bikes go out and come back.  Just wondering if that would be a traffic headache during the race.
2011-08-06 9:43 PM

User image

New user

Inland Northwest
Even if the road is open, it will be a traffic headache with all the bikes on it.  The roads are open during a couple of other triathlons I have done, and sometimes cars back up a long way.  Sometimes flaggers holding traffic for bikes cause backups, and sometimes the bikes themselves are the problem.  I have had to pass SUVs driving slowly behind slower bikes at Valley Girl, and it is an interesting experience.

2012-01-27 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d' Alene, ID
The first year I did the CDA tri I did it with out a wet suit and was warm. In Aug the top of the water is fine. As for the cars on Lake shore drive. The road is not close to traffic and there is no way to get a car down to Tony's and back before the end of the race if you are a mop.
2012-06-21 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran

I figured I would bump this back up to the top to see if anyone is in for 2012?  We will be driving over from Seattle and I would love to hear about the race.

2012-06-22 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4274544

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
itritoo - 2012-06-21 6:50 PM

I figured I would bump this back up to the top to see if anyone is in for 2012?  We will be driving over from Seattle and I would love to hear about the race.

I will be registering in the next couple of weeks.  I did it last year, it was my first oly and I had a blast - it's a fun race.  Good for spectators too - transition, the park, the beach are all right there.

Don't know how familiar you are with Coeur d'Alene.  The start/finish is downtown in the city park, pretty much the same setup as Ironman Cd'A.  The swim is at the city beach. 

The bike goes east along the lake for about eight miles - pretty flat except for one pretty good hill that is about a half mile long.  Then it gets interesting, you climb a long hill for about two miles and end up on the other side of I-90.  You get a little break and then there is a category 4 hill that is about three quarters of a mile long - it's the toughest on the course.  After that, it's some rolling hills and then a big downhill back to the lake and into town.

The run is an out-and-back north along the lake and Spokane river - it's all flat and some of it is pretty well shaded.

2013-03-07 11:23 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Does anyone know if there is a Thread for Cda IM 2013?   My main question is will Kootanai county sweep the bike course any time soon.   I am worried about the bike portion and would like to get on the course and practice soon as weather permits.   Maybe this weekend.
2013-03-19 5:14 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=450329&posts=539&start=1

Here is the link to the CDA thread. There is a Iron distance subforum that has all of the longer races in it.

2013-06-07 6:41 PM
in reply to: amandabc123

User image

Regular
Hey, I've got a question! Anybody heard anything about an Underpants Run? I know it isn't common at IM CDA, but it has been done.

N.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coeur d'Alene Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed