General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chamois Cream on IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-31 4:33 PM

User image

Subject: Chamois Cream on IM?

Hi all,

Anybody take the time to apply chamois cream before the bike leg?  If so, did you also put on dry tri shorts? 

I started using the stuff on long ride days and it's been a great benefit, but now I'm wrestling with how to work this on race day.

Thoughts?

2011-05-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3526203

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Chamois Cream on IM?

I did a full change on race day in my first IM, and I had a tube of chamois cream in my T bag. The volunteer squidged some of the chamois cream onto my chamois while I changed out of my swimsuit. By the time I was ready for my shorts, the cream was already applied! I just put it on and took off.

Now, it helped that I knew the volunteer, but I also worked T1 last year, and from all the stuff I saw, that was not an unreasonable request at all.

I will likely do the same thing this year, except I wont' do a full change, and I won't wear a swim suit, just swim bottoms and do only bottom changes. I will likely have my volunteer get my shorts all lubed up while I'm changing out of my swim bottoms. If there is no volunteer, I'll take the extra couple of seconds to do it myself. Kiss

If I were not changing clothes at all, I'd just have the cream in my bag, squidge some into my hand and put it where it needs to go in T1. It's like you're in a locker-room... so you can pretty much do what you need to do (within reason, of course) and be on your way.

2011-05-31 5:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I put chamois butt'r on before the race and am fine all day.

I don't change in T1. First IM I changed to new tri shorts in T2.

2011-05-31 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3526222

User image

Whizzzzz - 2011-05-31 2:46 PM

I did a full change on race day in my first IM, and I had a tube of chamois cream in my T bag. The volunteer squidged some of the chamois cream onto my chamois while I changed out of my swimsuit. By the time I was ready for my shorts, the cream was already applied! I just put it on and took off.

Now, it helped that I knew the volunteer, but I also worked T1 last year, and from all the stuff I saw, that was not an unreasonable request at all.

I will likely do the same thing this year, except I wont' do a full change, and I won't wear a swim suit, just swim bottoms and do only bottom changes. I will likely have my volunteer get my shorts all lubed up while I'm changing out of my swim bottoms. If there is no volunteer, I'll take the extra couple of seconds to do it myself. Kiss

If I were not changing clothes at all, I'd just have the cream in my bag, squidge some into my hand and put it where it needs to go in T1. It's like you're in a locker-room... so you can pretty much do what you need to do (within reason, of course) and be on your way.

They applied the cream to the chamois????   Now that is above and beyond the call....   I know what goes on with my chamois.  If I was working the men's tent  I'd be all... "you want me to put the what ,,,, where?????"     Women's tent, we'll I guess I'd be more obliging. 

I did a complete change too to bike shorts, but I put the chamois cream on the night before.

2011-05-31 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran

desitin. best. stuff. ever.  

my secret weapon!

put it on before the swim and you will be fine! 

2011-05-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3526328

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
ChrisM - 2011-05-31 5:56 PM
Whizzzzz - 2011-05-31 2:46 PM

They applied the cream to the chamois????   Now that is above and beyond the call....   I know what goes on with my chamois.  If I was working the men's tent  I'd be all... "you want me to put the what ,,,, where?????"     Women's tent, we'll I guess I'd be more obliging. 

I did a complete change too to bike shorts, but I put the chamois cream on the night before.

Yes... they were clean shorts and the stuff came right out of the tube... she just squirted it on my chamois, rubbed it in a bit and handed the shorts over to me. I rubbed it in the rest of the way and on they went! 

2011-06-01 10:41 AM

User image

I wore Orca 226 shorts all the way through the race and put Assos on before the race and again in T1.

That's what I've done for 4 HIMs as well and it worked then too.

2011-06-01 4:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yup I had a sample size in my T1 bag to reduce the bulk/weight, just applied it myself. I stayed in the same shorts for swim and bike - so my shorts were kinda wet - no biggie.

I also had a backup sample size at bike special needs but didn't have to use it.

2011-06-01 4:19 PM

User image

over a barrier
Yes....applied in T1

Shorts were soaking wet. Reapplied at special needs.
2011-06-01 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I used body glide before the swim start and then had little tubes of it in special needs and reapplied just to be safe.  They had jars of vaseline on the run portion so I just grabbed a handfull of that and kept on trucking.
2011-06-02 1:38 PM

User image

Thanks all. So it sounds like some of you put it on before the swim, and it holds up pretty well under the wetsuit.  Since I'm not vying for a Kona slot (LOL), sounds like it's worth the 2-3 minutes to get comfy.   

I think I'm liking the idea of doing that, and carrying a travel size in the jersey pocket/one in transition bag just in case.  I'll have to try that out on my next swim/bike session this weekend.

Destin - will check that out as well.

Thanks all!

2011-06-05 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3529465

Just be sure and try putting chamois cream on mid ride.  I rode the CDA course on May 15th - I came back into town after 1 loop of the bike and doing the higgins point out and back.  Had serious chafing going on and applied more chamois cream directly to my parts.  To say it stung was an understatement.  I know some people like it applied to chamois, others directly to parts, so I just want to caution to try whatever you want to do before race day

2011-06-05 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I take the time to put it on.  I'm not modest so I just squeeze some in my hand and shove it down my shorts.  I've worked the change tent and it's really quite common....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chamois Cream on IM? Rss Feed