General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking in Gatlinburg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-01 11:41 AM

Subject: Biking in Gatlinburg
I am going on vacation outside of Gatlinburg next week, and was wondering if anyone out there can tell me if there are safe roads to ride my tri bike.

2011-06-01 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3527534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Subject: RE: Biking in Gatlinburg
jmerchant - 2011-06-01 11:41 AM

I am going on vacation outside of Gatlinburg next week, and was wondering if anyone out there can tell me if there are safe roads to ride my tri bike.

You can ride inside the National Park. It's hilly(mountains). It will also be colder there than it is in the city. I went in July once and was not prepared for the temps.

It's beautiful there. The main drag is rather repulsive but the park is breathtaking. Have fun.
2011-06-01 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Riding in the park can get a little hairy with all the tourists traffic. However, on Wednesday and Saturday mornings the Cades Cove Loop is closed to cars until 10am. It's 11 miles around with some nice little hills and was just repaved last year. It is a gorgeous ride. Get there early enough to do as many laps on you like before the cars and it can't be beat.
2011-06-01 10:52 PM

As long as you like hills you should be able to find some awesome places to ride.  In the City of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg the ablilty to get a good ride in will be hard at best.  Alot of traffic and traffic lights. 

Here is a good site for you.  http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/bicycling_smoky_mountains.htm  they outline several routes some shorter some longer.  Depending on where you are staying Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Townsend, or Wears Valley the trips to those locations are between 5 and 30 minutes. 

I personally like the Cades Cove for the scenery.  The Footbills Parkway would also be a great ride.  Its basically a highway accross the tops of the mountains but there is usually not too much traffic. 

I would try and contact some cycling clubs or bike shops in and around Gatlinburg Sevierville, Maryville and Knoxville.  They will probably be more then happy to point you to some other rides in that area.  Oh and sevier county/Sevierville has plenty of rural country road to explore.  Good luck and have fun.   

2011-06-01 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gatlinburg to Clingman's Dome and back!  You can eat as much pasta as you want after that ride.  Plus a handful of Snickers bars.
2011-06-02 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
Was just down in G-burg for Memorial Day weekend at my inlaws new cabin. I didn't take my bike, but did go for a run one day and there were plenty of nicely paved, very low traffic roads that you can find. I will tell you one thing though, the hills in G-burg were much, much more difficult than any I've run in Central Indiana. They don't have a flat spot anywhere down there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking in Gatlinburg Rss Feed