Walla Wall Multisports
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 44s
Overall Rank = 102/213
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 11/15
Pre-race routine:

Up around 6AM, look out window, curse softly, have a coffee and peanut butter toast. There were 4 of us racing and about 12 coming to cheer so the racers left around 7:30 and when we got to the parking lot were told we'd have to park off in the distance and hike our gear in over the hill. We decided to ignore that and drove down to the pkg lot and found a spot.
Event warmup:

Mostly just shivered a lot. We thought about swimming a bit but decided against that. Which ended up being a bad idea... lesson one from my first triathlon, warm up in the water.
Swim
  • 14m 37s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

They had shortened the course because of the cold. At first I was like, "whatever, I trained for 1500M I'm swimming the whole thing". That thought immediately went away when we jumped in. I hadn't ever swam in my wetsuit or in open water like that before and after about 100 M I had a little freak out and had to do the breast stroke/backstroke for a minute or two to figure out that I wasn't going to drown out there. Then I got it together and finished it out with freestyle. Not ideal though. I felt like I finally got a good stroke rhythm with about 50M left in the swim, so at least I finished with style.
What would you do differently?:

I'd practice in open water I guess, but honestly, it's just been too cold here in CDA to get in any of our lakes, so... what can you do.
Transition 1
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

I must have done something wrong in the swim because when I stopped to pull off the wetsuit in my transition area I was so dizzy I almost fell over. So instead of risking the horrible embarrassment of falling over and knocking down all those fancy bikes, I just sat down on my bag and finished changing gear while sitting. Did this slow me down, probably, but we're not breaking any records here so who cares.

something, not sure what.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I was surprised by how long this took, I thought I was doing a lot better. There was some wind, but I didn't think it slowed me down all that much. I definitely faded during the last couple miles around the community college and on the resevoir road.

I think I'd have a gel or something about half way through. And I'd bike harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

This went fine.
Run
  • 53m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

First two miles were hard, I hadn't ever practiced running after getting off the bike and, surprise surprise, my legs felt weird. I think my pace at this point was probably 10-11 minute miles. I knew that the legs would get better so I kept on going and they did. I used the secret trick of being glad I could be doing this thing and I was able to speed up a little. I got passed by a ton of people, mostly spandex-clad legit racers, so I didn't feel too bad about that. About a half mile in the leader passed me going the other way. Then as I came back in to the parking lot on the final stretch he was there cheering people on, I thought that was a class act move.

Do the brick workouts that everyone said I should. Sneak in an ipod.
Post race
Warm down:

Kneel down, my 6 year old son climbed on me, got a big hug and I had some orange slices. The orange slices were awesome.

Event comments:

Cool BBQ afterwards, not enough people cheering though, we did our best to make up for it since we were waiting for the rest of our group to finish. I think they should have shuttles bring people in and clear up space for a beer tent of some kind. Great race though, we had a really good time.

Last updated: 2011-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:37 | 800 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 71/213
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU something
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:03
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:10 | 24.85 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 108/213
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The course was great. Really pretty.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:57 | 06.21 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 117/213
Performance: Good
Course: Great course. Started off on a trail for a mile or two then ran along a creek on paved trails.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes