General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
500 Festival
Total Time = 1h 50m 21s
Overall Rank = 4214/30648
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 165/2759
Pre-race routine:

I got to Indy on Friday evening. It was smooth sailing until I got downtown. Madhouse is an understatement. Between the construction and rush hour traffic and the influx of all the other racers doing packet pickup, just getting into a parking garage was an adventure. Eventually I made it to the convention center, picked up my packet, and wandered the expo. I made the mistake of going to the Saucony set-up and fell in love with some of the new Kinvara color schemes. (Thanks to zappos.com I had them in my hand a week later.)

As usual, I stayed at my Mom's house the night before the race. I missed out on dinner so I had to scrounge to find some food to tide me over until the morning.
Event warmup:

I got up early enough to get some breakfast - my standard fare of pb and banana on whole wheat - and then Mom was kind enough to drop me off downtown so I would have to worry about parking. I hit the porta-potty, dropped off my bag at gear check, did a short jog along the canal, made a final bathroom stop and then jammed into my Corral and waited for the start along with 30,000 of my closest friends.
Run
  • 1h 50m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile is always a little slow going as everyone gets sorted out and spread out. I checked my pace after the first few miles and found I was going a little slower than I wanted but it felt pretty comfortable so I stuck with it. At least for a little while. For some reason, once I got about half-way around the track I got impatient. I tried to pick up my pace. This went fine until about mile ten. Then I was no longer impatient...I was struggling. At some point during mile 11, I was feeling really poor. My heart was racing and I felt like I might hurl. I eventually got to the side of the road and took a minute to walk and gather myself. The last few miles I just cruised it in. My legs had nothing left in the way of pep.
What would you do differently?:

If I had just stuck with my original pacing and hadn't tried to push so early in the race I think I would have finished much closer to my goal time. As it was, I got antsy and blew up.

I also opted to take in only water during the race. I'm not really sure why I went this route. I brought gels along but during the race I just didn't want them. In hindsight, a little sugar and caffeine jolt might have been much appreciated. I do much better, mentally, when I don't let my calories get too low.
Post race
Event comments:

This year I learned about proper pacing and about what I want to do vs. what I can actually do. As much as I may want to go faster, I need to listen to my body and stick with the pacing that feels right.

Last updated: 2010-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:21 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2759
Overall: 0/30648
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-06-02 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed