of 4

2011-06-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3532140

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Conservative Republicans

jsnowash - 2011-06-04 9:02 AM
verga - 2011-06-04 8:44 AM
Well, yes... Revere was captured by the British, but not until after he had begun to spread the word that they were on their way, and numerous other riders were continuing to spread the word. But he was certainly not riding through town "ringing bells" and firing "warning shots" to warn the Brithish.... Here are Palin's exact words: "He who warned the British that they weren’t gonna be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and by making sure that as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were gonna be secure and we were gonna be free … and we were gonna be armed." Not exactly the account of history you're implying above.....

If she sat there and drooled she would be more articulate than the current pResident.

57 states, Bethalyzer etc.....

For the record if the I would vote for a dead goldfish rather than the two clowns we have now. 

Edited by verga 2011-06-04 9:51 AM

2011-06-04 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3532196

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
verga - 2011-06-04 10:51 AM

Well, yes... Revere was captured by the British, but not until after he had begun to spread the word that they were on their way, and numerous other riders were continuing to spread the word. But he was certainly not riding through town "ringing bells" and firing "warning shots" to warn the Brithish.... Here are Palin's exact words: "He who warned the British that they weren’t gonna be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and by making sure that as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were gonna be secure and we were gonna be free … and we were gonna be armed." Not exactly the account of history you're implying above.....

If she sat there and drooled she would be more articulate than the current pResident.

For the record if the I would vote for a dead goldfish rather than the two clowns we have now. 

Honestly... the truth is, as scrutinized as these folks are, it's almost inevitable that they're going to get caught on tape saying something stupid or factually incorrect at some point (granted, some more than others).... Lord knows I wouldn't want someone recording every word that comes out of my mouth.....
2011-06-04 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3532196

User image

Elite

You truly believe that?  I think you're in a small minority if you think President Obama is not articulate. Not a fan of the progressive income tax structure?  I can understand that.  I don't agree with it, but I understand it.  Not a fan of the estate tax?  I can understand that.  I don't agree with it, but I understand it.  But to say our president is not articulate, I am with the majority who disagree with your opinion.

If Palin could communicate well she wouldn't have been dumped on the way she's been dumped on.  If Sarah Palin had the ability to communicate like George Will, do you honestly think she'd be seen in the same light?  I don't.  

2011-06-04 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3532234

User image

Master
ChineseDemocracy - 2011-06-04 11:43 AM

You truly believe that?  I think you're in a small minority if you think President Obama is not articulate. Not a fan of the progressive income tax structure?  I can understand that.  I don't agree with it, but I understand it.  Not a fan of the estate tax?  I can understand that.  I don't agree with it, but I understand it.  But to say our president is not articulate, I am with the majority who disagree with your opinion.

If Palin could communicate well she wouldn't have been dumped on the way she's been dumped on.  If Sarah Palin had the ability to communicate like George Will, do you honestly think she'd be seen in the same light?  I don't.  

He is the least articulate person to hold the office. He can't speak to a 5th grade class with out a teleprompter, can't make a toast to the queen of England with out Cue cards.

http://www.hapblog.com/2009/06/shock-msnbc-actually-making-fun-of.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/us/politics/06web-baker.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNRXGRFJdDY

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2716323/posts (post #5)

It is very easy to appear  articulate when you just read what is put in front of you, but let him go off script for more than a minute and all best are off.

I have taught high school for 16 years, never used a telepromtper. The English teachers at our school laugh at him and the majority of them are democrats and over half voted for him, once, not again.

As for palin being dumped on the media have their agenda, ask yourself why have tghey been following her around since the bus trip began. If she is so bad why waste all that time?

2011-06-04 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3530949

User image

Pro
Tejas

Looks like this thread is getting side tracked a bit. Note it is titled, "Conservative Republicans" and asks if a member of said group could vote for Palin.

Edited by mdg2003 2011-06-04 11:29 AM
2011-06-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3531370

User image

Expert

scoobysdad - 2011-06-03 1:47 PM As a conservative, I believe Palin serves a purpose even if she is completely unelectable as a candidate. She can draw attention to issues that would not otherwise be covered and can say things that legitimate candidates may think but would never say. The Left will also spend considerable time, money and effort to discredit her and all they'll end up doing is making the legitimate GOP candidates look more moderate and electable by comparison. Finally, in the end, she'll also be able to throw considerable support behind whichever GOP candidate turns out to be the frontrunner. I've said this before and every day it's getting closer to happening. Eventually, Paul Ryan will get in this race and he will be not only the GOP candidate, but the next president of the United States. Mark it down.

I think that Ryan has come under far too much heat recently to effectively pull Centrists to the polls. His going to be demonized and vilified as the guy who wants to kill Medicare, so that's also going to turn seniors against him. Personally, I think Romney should get the GOP nod and if he puts up a good show, I would consider voting for him over Obama.

2011-06-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3532288

User image

Melon Presser
UWMadTri - 2011-06-05 2:00 AM

scoobysdad - 2011-06-03 1:47 PM As a conservative, I believe Palin serves a purpose even if she is completely unelectable as a candidate. She can draw attention to issues that would not otherwise be covered and can say things that legitimate candidates may think but would never say. The Left will also spend considerable time, money and effort to discredit her and all they'll end up doing is making the legitimate GOP candidates look more moderate and electable by comparison. Finally, in the end, she'll also be able to throw considerable support behind whichever GOP candidate turns out to be the frontrunner. I've said this before and every day it's getting closer to happening. Eventually, Paul Ryan will get in this race and he will be not only the GOP candidate, but the next president of the United States. Mark it down.

I think that Ryan has come under far too much heat recently to effectively pull Centrists to the polls. His going to be demonized and vilified as the guy who wants to kill Medicare, so that's also going to turn seniors against him. Personally, I think Romney should get the GOP nod and if he puts up a good show, I would consider voting for him over Obama.

*thump* (hitting ground)

Hell hath frozen over ...

But to take your point into consideration, and also readdress the OP and other thoughts ...

I know the media have a field day with Palin. Different media with different slants portray, and edit to portray, the worst of what comes out of candidates they don't favor.

I try to really look for strong points and strong moments applicable to the race at hand--in experience, presentation and writing--and with Palin, for the most part, I'm still looking. (Let me reiterate that I could be considered a conservative Republican).

You make an excellent point, though ... a solidly centrist Republican would be able to snag a good part of the swing voters in both parties.

This has been alluded to in previous posts, and also this: if we (by that I mean Republicans) could get a decent centrist Republican for the pres candidacy, I'm okay with a real right-winger (not grossly unqualified and illogical right-winger like Palin) for the veep.

2011-06-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3532250

User image

Elite
verga - 2011-06-04 12:11 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2011-06-04 11:43 AM

He is the least articulate person to hold the office. He can't speak to a 5th grade class with out a teleprompter, can't make a toast to the queen of England with out Cue cards.

http://www.hapblog.com/2009/06/shock-msnbc-actually-making-fun-of.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/us/politics/06web-baker.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNRXGRFJdDY

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2716323/posts (post #5)

It is very easy to appear  articulate when you just read what is put in front of you, but let him go off script for more than a minute and all best are off.

I have taught high school for 16 years, never used a telepromtper. The English teachers at our school laugh at him and the majority of them are democrats and over half voted for him, once, not again.

As for palin being dumped on the media have their agenda, ask yourself why have tghey been following her around since the bus trip began. If she is so bad why waste all that time?

verga, Palin is followed around because she provides entertainment.  She is hilarious.  She is not a serious candidate for president.  She will provide an excellent foil for whomever does win the GOP nomination.  Next to Palin, the eventual GOP winner will look and sound like Ronald Reagan.  

btw, were the candidates utilizing teleprompters in the presidential debates?  I may be wrong, but I don't think so.  Obama defeated McCain in each debate.  Palin was beaten soundly by Joe Biden.  As far as I know, teleprompters were not used.  The teleprompter jokes are funny no doubt...but the president has taken part in hundreds, if not thousands of interviews with the press, and has delivered his message quite well. (obviously, some don't like the message and political discourse descends into a spiral of character assassination)  

as for your fellow teachers laughing at the president...hey, a lot of folks out there make the mistake of biting the hand that feeds.  

Edited by ChineseDemocracy 2011-06-04 1:21 PM
2011-06-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3531352

User image

Buttercup

mdg2003 - 2011-06-03 2:40 PM One thing is certain, a lot of time and money is being spent to discredit her.

... Bottom line; she scares the bejeebers out of the other side.

There's no need to spend money to discredit her - she's done that so thoroughly and capably all on her own. A quitter who was too bored, lazy and ADD to finish her governorship. A reality-tv star wannabe. A whiner who, apparently, considers large swaths of America to be *not* Real America - how unPresidential.

And if her own words and erratic behavior aren't enough to sufficiently display her lack of temperance and intellect for the job, there are the Republican vanguard who are repulsed by the thought of her Presidency. David Brooks, Kathleen Harper, George Will, Peggy Noonan - not only do they consider her unfit, they don't consider her a grown-up. Aside from the vanguard, consider the Conservative Republicans on this forum - they want her to go away, too.

I consider myself "the other side" - liberal, unaffiliated voter - and I will tell you she doesn't scare the bejeebers out of me. In fact, this thread has generated a few bursts of laughter in me.  But I also know there is no way she will ever face-off President Obama in the general election. He won't have it that easy.

There is simply no way she would survive the primaries. Sarah is all about Sarah's cult of personality; she has no policy chops, no consistent positions, no IDEAS. She is Narcissus Incarnate and could not possibly sustain her attention long enough to 1) pursue the nomination or 2) survive the scrutiny, questioning, debates, and long and arduous process. Nor would she deign to do the hard and serious work of seeking donations from serious people with serious bank accounts.

Mitt Romney's great challenge will be to minimize his obvious and deep disdain for having to share a debate stage with her without coming across as too paternal or unlikable. For once, I will actually feel sorry for the guy as he attempts to respond to her nasally nonsense while containing and masking his contempt for her.

2011-06-04 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3532288

User image

Elite
UWMadTri - 2011-06-04 11:00 AM

Nice example of what is wrong with this country. Looking for wishy washy watered down candidates to pull the "centrist" vote. What exactly is the difference between a "centrist" Republican and the wishy washy watered down "centrist" Democrat we have in office right now? Hummm centrist big government... centrist big business..... such a hard hard decision.... so many differences....

2011-06-04 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3531870

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
TriRSquared - 2011-06-03 9:16 PM

I do not think Palin is a dumb as people make her out to be (the media really dog piles on her mistakes).  And she does have "some" good points. 

Yesterday Sarah Plain explained that Paul Revere warned the BRITISH by ringing BELLS and firing SHOTS. Zero out of three ain't bad. She failed to address the obvious questions: 1) is she eating paste when we're not looking, 2) is the beastie boys version really more accurate, and the obvious question, 3) is she really smarter than a fifth of gin?

BTW, I'm a Dem but am generally tired of the way elections get won, and am looking for some - any - compelling alternative to the satus quo. Sarah is compelling, but in a TMZ kinda way. Not smart. No vote.

For the record, not sure what happened, but I quoted TriRSquared, and it showed up as his post. It was not his, it was mine. Carry on.

2011-06-05 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3532641

User image

Expert
powerman - 2011-06-04 5:57 PM

Nice example of what is wrong with this country. Looking for wishy washy watered down candidates to pull the "centrist" vote. What exactly is the difference between a "centrist" Republican and the wishy washy watered down "centrist" Democrat we have in office right now? Hummm centrist big government... centrist big business..... such a hard hard decision.... so many differences....

People trying to compromise is what's wrong with this country? No, what is wrong with this country is the mindset that it's "Us against them" and the idea that Centrism and compromise are the problem, as opposed to the solution. It's the pack mentality of narrow-minded individuals who believe that politics is a zero-sum game, as opposed to a scenario where neither party should be happy with the results but still able to have a friendly discussion at the end of debate.

2011-06-05 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3533217

User image

Melon Presser
UWMadTri - 2011-06-06 2:15 AM

People trying to compromise is what's wrong with this country? No, what is wrong with this country is the mindset that it's "Us against them" and the idea that Centrism and compromise are the problem, as opposed to the solution. It's the pack mentality of narrow-minded individuals who believe that politics is a zero-sum game, as opposed to a scenario where neither party should be happy with the results but still able to have a friendly discussion at the end of debate.

Maybe sorta kinda off-topic, but (this is COJ! If it's all not off-topic, what would it be??? )

On a little-little scale, COJers have a hard enough time reaching majority, much less a working majority, much less an approximate consensus, on anything political. I think the different viewpoints and the right to articulate them is awesome and marvelously U.S. American.

Unfortunately, we then bemoan politicians who can't seem to get anything done ... small wonder? The judicial system is adversarial, and the political system in many ways is, too.

So we elect a bunch of people, throw them together in Congress, have a wickedly polarized and essentially bipartisan process to elect a President, then expect the President to be fair, neutral, and work for the good of the whole nation?

2011-06-05 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3532584

User image

Pro
Tejas
Renee - 2011-06-04 4:59 PM

mdg2003 - 2011-06-03 2:40 PM One thing is certain, a lot of time and money is being spent to discredit her.

... Bottom line; she scares the bejeebers out of the other side.

There's no need to spend money to discredit her - she's done that so thoroughly and capably all on her own. A quitter who was too bored, lazy and ADD to finish her governorship. A reality-tv star wannabe. A whiner who, apparently, considers large swaths of America to be *not* Real America - how unPresidential.

And if her own words and erratic behavior aren't enough to sufficiently display her lack of temperance and intellect for the job, there are the Republican vanguard who are repulsed by the thought of her Presidency. David Brooks, Kathleen Harper, George Will, Peggy Noonan - not only do they consider her unfit, they don't consider her a grown-up. Aside from the vanguard, consider the Conservative Republicans on this forum - they want her to go away, too.

I consider myself "the other side" - liberal, unaffiliated voter - and I will tell you she doesn't scare the bejeebers out of me. In fact, this thread has generated a few bursts of laughter in me.  But I also know there is no way she will ever face-off President Obama in the general election. He won't have it that easy.

There is simply no way she would survive the primaries. Sarah is all about Sarah's cult of personality; she has no policy chops, no consistent positions, no IDEAS. She is Narcissus Incarnate and could not possibly sustain her attention long enough to 1) pursue the nomination or 2) survive the scrutiny, questioning, debates, and long and arduous process. Nor would she deign to do the hard and serious work of seeking donations from serious people with serious bank accounts.

Mitt Romney's great challenge will be to minimize his obvious and deep disdain for having to share a debate stage with her without coming across as too paternal or unlikable. For once, I will actually feel sorry for the guy as he attempts to respond to her nasally nonsense while containing and masking his contempt for her.

No need to spend the money, but a crapton of it is being spent to highlight her every mistake. You may have a point about scaring the bejeebers out of the left ... she does seem to really pizz off the average liberal voter IMO. So much so that they can never resist taking time from their busy days to point out her shortcomings and let everyone know how dumb they've been told she is.
2011-06-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3533294

User image

Buttercup

mdg2003 - 2011-06-05 2:40 PM

... she does seem to really pizz off the average liberal voter IMO. So much so that they can never resist taking time from their busy days to point out her shortcomings and let everyone know how dumb they've been told she is.

Why do you think conservative pundits point out how dumb they think she is?

Is it possible that people - liberal or conservative, including the conservatives on this board - observe her and draw their own conclusions that she dumb? Why do you assume that people need to be told what they can see for themselves?

2011-06-05 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3530949

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
I've been staying out of the thread mostly, but wanted to make this point about Palin.

1. I think the press gives her a very hard time.
2. I think some of that is deserved, but a lot isn't.
3. I don't think she is stupid or dumb.
4. I don't want her as President of the USA.

2011-06-05 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3533584

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-05 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3533217

Elite
UWMadTri - 2011-06-05 11:15 AM

Compromising on how to run this country into the ground is not a solution to me. You show me any "solutions" that have come out of Washington in the last 20 years. Nothing but partisan politics and the extremes of both parties driving this country off a cliff. Come election time they prop up some puppet that is likable enough to get elected..... Problem is none of them are LEADERS.

The President is largely a meaningless figure head.. Meanwhile the Legislature keeps writing checks we can't cash. Partisan politics rolls merrily along. Any time either side gets a win, they write checks and blame the other guys... then the other side wins and they write a bunch of checks real quick before the other side takes back the check book.

What we need is a Legislature that will take away their own power and take back all the money that has been handed out. That of course will never happen. Because every 4 years the voting public votes for who they think will give them the most. So you want to sit here and tell me that compromise is the solution. Ya... that's working so well for us.

2011-06-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3533258

Elite
TriAya - 2011-06-05 12:04 PM

Unfortunately, we then bemoan politicians who can't seem to get anything done ... small wonder? The judicial system is adversarial, and the political system in many ways is, too.

So we elect a bunch of people, throw them together in Congress, have a wickedly polarized and essentially bipartisan process to elect a President, then expect the President to be fair, neutral, and work for the good of the whole nation?

Ya, that would be a refreshing change.

Look at the topic... that fact that that nim rod Palin was thrust upon us for consideration to possibly lead the most powerful nation on the planet.... after BRIEFLY serving on the PTA, being a mayor in a po-dunk town, and getting elected to run Alaska.... the largest state in the nation... but on the bottom of the list in every thing that matters, budget, economy, citizens, work force for the state.... And why.. .why was she thrown out on stage????

Because a weak politician.. who I happen to respect as a a man.... compromised on what he thought would get him into the Big Chair. Not the best decision for the country... but what he though was the best (desperate) decision to get him into the WH.

Pretty sad.

Edited by powerman 2011-06-05 6:43 PM
2011-06-05 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3533696

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
powerman - 2011-06-05 6:42 PM

Look at the topic... that fact that that nim rod Palin was thrust upon us for consideration to possibly lead the most powerful nation on the planet.... after BRIEFLY serving on the PTA, being a mayor in a po-dunk town, and getting elected to run Alaska.... the largest state in the nation... but on the bottom of the list in every thing that matters, budget, economy, citizens, work force for the state.... And why.. .why was she thrown out on stage????

Because a weak politician.. who I happen to respect as a a man.... compromised on what he thought would get him into the Big Chair. Not the best decision for the country... but what he though was the best (desperate) decision to get him into the WH.

Pretty sad.

Care to comment on the executive experience or legislative accomplishments of the person who is in the "Big Chair" as well?

Pretty sad, too.

2011-06-05 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3533766

Elite
scoobysdad - 2011-06-05 6:31 PM
powerman - 2011-06-05 6:42 PM

Pretty sad.

Care to comment on the executive experience or legislative accomplishments of the person who is in the "Big Chair" as well? Pretty sad, too.

Exactly... that's why I didn't vote for him. His lack of accomplishment as a Senator has been great experience for his lack of accomplishment as a President. But he was the man the "people" wanted... pulled in all those great "centrist" votes.

The sad thing is.... the people that approved of Palin were never going to vote Obama to begin with. McCain gained nothing. Half the people that voted FOR McCain voted neither for Palin or McCain but against Obama. And Partisan politics rolls merrily along.

The only people that could actually do some good will never be elected. Ron Paul is a great example. Worse yet is if he was even elected... Congress would just wait him out for 4 years and he would not accomplish one single thing. No... I don't have a very positive outlook for our political future.

2011-06-06 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3533573

Pro
Tejas
Renee - 2011-06-05 5:23 PM

mdg2003 - 2011-06-05 2:40 PM

... she does seem to really pizz off the average liberal voter IMO. So much so that they can never resist taking time from their busy days to point out her shortcomings and let everyone know how dumb they've been told she is.

Why do you think conservative pundits point out how dumb they think she is?

Is it possible that people - liberal or conservative, including the conservatives on this board - observe her and draw their own conclusions that she dumb? Why do you assume that people need to be told what they can see for themselves?

She ticks them off too! What I'm trying to say is basically there is something there that we are not seeing on the news media outlets. Take our Veep for example. He is a walking gaffe the media portrays as someone who might need help tying his own shoes. yet he gets re-elected in his home state. Is everyone in Delaware stupid? Of course not. There is something special about these people that drives them. And gets them to where they are in politics. I hope she doesn't run. I think she serves the party best at what she does best. Poking a stick in the hornets nest and giving it a stir.

Edited by mdg2003 2011-06-06 6:45 AM
2011-06-06 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3532584

Champion
SRQ, FL

Renee - 2011-06-04 5:59 PM

[Palin] apparently, considers large swaths of America to be *not* Real America - how unPresidential.

Again, not a fan of Palin, but the same could be said of our current President.

2011-06-06 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3532649

Champion
SRQ, FL
rkreuser - 2011-06-04 7:08 PM
TriRSquared - 2011-06-03 9:16 PM

I do not think Palin is a dumb as people make her out to be (the media really dog piles on her mistakes).  And she does have "some" good points. 

Yesterday Sarah Plain explained that Paul Revere warned the BRITISH by ringing BELLS and firing SHOTS. Zero out of three ain't bad. She failed to address the obvious questions: 1) is she eating paste when we're not looking, 2) is the beastie boys version really more accurate, and the obvious question, 3) is she really smarter than a fifth of gin?

BTW, I'm a Dem but am generally tired of the way elections get won, and am looking for some - any - compelling alternative to the satus quo. Sarah is compelling, but in a TMZ kinda way. Not smart. No vote.

For the record, not sure what happened, but I quoted TriRSquared, and it showed up as his post. It was not his, it was mine. Carry on.

Interest, I didn't see it.... internet gremlins.... anyway thanks for posting the clarification. 

This one has been beat to death in the new the last few days.  I said she has "some" good points... this was NOT one of them...

And I'm sure as hell not voting for her....just trying to be fair.

2011-06-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3534341

Buttercup
TriRSquared - 2011-06-06 9:00 AM

Renee - 2011-06-04 5:59 PM

[Palin] apparently, considers large swaths of America to be *not* Real America - how unPresidential.

Again, not a fan of Palin, but the same could be said of our current President.

Palin campaigned on the Real America nonsense; those are her words. I've never heard Candidate or President Obama claim there are Real Americans (and by implication, non-Real Americans).

So, no, the same could not be said of President Obama.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Conservative Republicans Rss Feed  

of 4