No Sweat Racing
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 7s
Overall Rank = 19/28
Age Group = Female 0-99
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Slapped at evil alarm clocks waking me up at 5:15. Ate a bagel, took a shower, got dressed. Drove to the race site. Fixed a swim cap color mix up, got my chip, set up transition. Then had like an HOUR to stand around and wait. Jumped in the water for a 200m warm up. Stood around some more. Watched all the other waves go.
Event warmup:

Out to a buoy and back several times...maybe 200m.
Swim
  • 39m 20s
  • 3219 meters
  • 01m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Okay, no WAY was that actually 2 miles. They HAD to have mismeasured the course. I am fast, but I am not that fast. When I got to the first turnaround (supposedly 800m) I glanced at my watch and saw 10 minutes...and I thought I read it wrong. But I didn't want to waste anymore time looking at it so I didn't look again until I had completed the first loop. 19 minutes? That's when I REALLY knew that the course had to be short. Anyway...

I started out badly from the get-go. It was a small wave. There were only 28 of us doing the full 2mile/10k and we were the last to go. I tried to catch some fast feet but I apparently suck at drafting outside of a pool. Since it was such a small wave I soon found myself with all the room I could ever have wanted in an open water swim. And then I hit the WAVES. Sheesh. This is the choppiest open water swim I've ever done and it probably wasn't even that bad. But...worse than what I'm used to. I was getting pummeled by boat waves from my front/left side. Mistimed most of them and did a lot of breathing to the right. Never really found a rhythm, but was able to sight less than usual and stay fairly straight. Directions were to swim to the second yellow buoy and turn around. I saw the first one go by then finally the second. Bebop around it and on the way inbound the waves were MUCH less severe. I think they were quartering and coming from behind me and actually helping on the way back. The trip back took 9 minutes whereas outbound took 10. That also could be because on the way back in you could kind of cut the corners. Once I realized how short the course was I tried to push it up second half, but I must have gone out too fast. Second lap took a minute longer. Waves were about as bad, but I was having more trouble fighting them the second time. Form went to crap. Also started trying to sight WAY too much. I think I get impatient after about a half hour in the water. Was very happy to turn around and head for home. Pretty much swam by myself the entire time. Small field, long distance...we got really spread out. My arms started to feel tired with about 400m to go so it's probably good for me that the course was short. But still, I would have liked to have gone a full 2 miles...My best 100m was the last 100m...I finally just put my head down and WENT. The time also includes a 20 second run from the shore to transition.

In addition to the rankings in my race...there was a straight up 2 mile swim division too. Overall 38 people did a 2 mile distance as part of the 2mi/10k or 2mi...I was 12th out of the 38. And I would have won the women's swim only division...by over 10 minutes :) I gotta stop doing this running thing...kidding, kidding...
What would you do differently?:

Lots of stuff:
1. Seriously, I NEED to learn how to draft.
2. Learn how to swim with waves trying to beach me.
3. Better sighting (as in less of it).
4. Don't go out so hard (learn better pacing).
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

This is a bit of an estimate. Transition was included with the run times. I hit my watch coming into the transition area and forgot to hit it til after the water station on the way out...but it's pretty close. Took longer than I thought, but there was a lot to do:
1. Remove cap/goggles (was pretty much done by the time I go to my area)
2. Wash off feet
3. Dry feet
4. Socks on
5. Shoes on
6. Tie shoes (one of these days I need quicklaces)
7. Grab hat, sunglasses, and race belt and get out of there

I couldn't have gone much faster without making mistakes due to rushing. Really, not bad.
When I saw how short the swim was I elected NOT to eat the PB crackers I had waiting in transition. I wonder if this was a tactical error and left me energy deprived?
Run
  • 1h 03m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT! I guess we started running at about 9:15ish? SOOOO hot! My face was already flush and red from the swim and the warm lakewater so I think I started dehydrated. Drank some water right away as I exited transition. Started out a bit fast then realized that I had better slow down or I wouldn't finish. Also, I had a minor accident the day before the race. I fell into a hole (dug by my ever landscaping dogs) in my backyard the day before the race. Forced my bad toe into a not very nice position (bent backwards). I was limping around for awhile and was a bit worried how it would feel on the run. Well, it hurt...every step of the way. Stupid toe. Not bad enough to stop, but it was definitely letting me know it was there. Anyway, I digress...I was getting REALLY hot. Grabbed more water at one mile. Had no idea why I was getting so overheated until the 1.5ish mile turnaround and I realized we'd had the wind at our backs. Felt GREAT after the turnaround to have some wind blowing across my face. Kept downing a couple of glasses of water or gatorade at each aid station (every mile) because I really felt like I was overheating. The water wasn't even that cold but when I poured it on my head and neck it felt like ICE because I was so hot. Stayed cheerful and struck up conversations with just about everybody I saw. Some were friendlier than others. I looked at this run as my long run for the weekend....It felt really good to round the turnaround the second time and realize you didn't have all that much further to go. Finished strong. Thanks for reminding me Sue...NO remarkable knee pain. A few twinges was all. Not sore today either.

Train more for the run. The 6 weeks of no running due to my knees REALLY hurt me here. But I wasn't there for the run :)
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, talked with davidsra and waited for my friend Robin to finish. Walked back to the car and went out for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On the swim...inability to draft and some endurance issues with my arms.

On the run...lack of running :) And my stupid toe. And the stupid heat.

Event comments:

Great giveaway bag :) Lots of goodies...a race belt, duffle bag, and a towel. I was given the wrong color swim cap at registration. I couldn't have known because they didn't list the colors anywhere. Robin and I got to our hotel room and realized we had different color caps but were swimming the same event...hmmm. I think they just got more people than they expected, then things like the water level had receded causing them to change the course a bit race morning. That sort of stuff led to us starting at least 15 minutes or so late. But...no big deal REALLY. My biggest beef is that the course was pretty much short...wish it hadn't been.
I wasn't exactly thrilled with my performance. But I did the race to get more open water time because I know I need work on it. And it got my long run in for the weekend. What more could I ask for? Oh, I got to bring home hardware...5th place women got me a cute little bricklike plaque.

Last updated: 2005-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:20 | 3219 meters | 01m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 11/28
Performance: Average
Lap 1: Approx 19 min. Lap 2: Approx 20 min
Suit:
Course: Two loop, out and back, clockwise, keep the buoy's on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  01:16
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Bad
Running
01:03:30 | 06.21 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 22/28
Performance: Bad
I was hitting my lap split button, but missed the 0.1 of the first loop, missed some due to water stations, etc. Suffice to say I was doing slightly over 10 min miles until the last mile when I went somewhat below 10.
Course: Two loops of a 5k. Wind was at your back on the way out. Mostly flat with a couple of very gentle slopes.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-28 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: Splash and Dash

2005-08-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #235768

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Splash and Dash
Nice Job Jen   Uber fast on the swim if the distance was right..all those fromer swims paying off for you.  Hope you had fun and no knee pain
2005-08-28 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Can I just tie a rope to you and you can haul me around on swims? Maybe some skis...

Good race!
2005-08-28 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Holy crap you're fast in the water!!  Awesome race Jen and congrats on the hardware!   Glad your knee was able to behave itself for the run...that's HUGE!!

2005-08-29 6:10 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race!  Nice swim time even if the course was short.  Sounds like your knees are healing up...that's good!  Congrats on the hardware.

TJ

2005-08-29 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
MA

You smoked the swim!!!  Great!!

2005-08-29 9:56 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Wow, you are amazing, Jen. Good job!
2005-08-29 10:59 AM

Online or Offline
Nice job! Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone that it wasn't really 2 miles!

I'm glad your knee isn't giving you issues, nothing remarkable at least! Glad you can enjoy more races this season after your 1/2!
2005-08-29 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Sweet Jesus!  What a swim!  I don't care if it was short or not...you smoked it.  Holy flipping crap you freaking killed the swim!  Not sure if you're going to find too many fast feet in front of you if you're 3/8 AG and 11/28 overall.

So glad to see the knee behaving.  Sounds like you're not even worrying about it anymore which is good.   Congrats on the hardware.  You earned it!

2005-08-31 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race!!

I agree you were smoking on the swim. I for one am always happy to figure out the swim is short...but as a good swimmer I see your point.

Congrats on the hardware too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash and Dash Rss Feed