Cumberland, MD YMCA
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 20/73
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00am to make the 1 hour drive over. Was not in a rush as mandatory racking had taken place the day before so all I had to do was show up, get marked, and make final preps to transition. Had some sports drink and a Clif Bar on the ride over. Arrived at Rocky Gap at 6:05am and did some pre-race items but just tried to relax and stay calm. It was brisk when I left the house at about 44F but had warmed up about 5F by arrival. Water temp was in the high 60's and felt really good. I have been training pretty consistently since January for this race although I had done one sprint in April I was hoping for a good showing here. I really felt I had put in the miles, previewed the bike and swim course. Notice I did not say the run course, more to follow.
Event warmup:

Not much to report here as I really never do a whole lot. Did get in the water for about 10 minutes beforehand and actually felt pretty good and wetsuit donning was the best I had done. Had plenty of room in the shoulders.
Swim
  • 35m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

OWS has always been my downfall. Never enough OWS practices nor comfort level. Today I felt comfortable from the start. There was some pushing and hitting, but nothing major. Went to breathing every stroke from the start and that seemed to help alot versus the bi-lateral I do in the pool and have attempted in my other OWS's. Not a blistering pace for most but I am pretty satisfied as I typically am closer to 2:30's. Navigation was not too bad even though there were very few buoys (only 3 total). I really feel that I could not have pushed much harder but there was a little something more I could have done.
What would you do differently?:

Push just a tad bit harder during the swim but hoping with more practice this will come more natural.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Struggled a little with the wetsuit on both heels and then had a heck of a time getting into my shoes. The left shoe fell off so I had to get off and reclip only to have it fall off again. Finally just put in on and remounted and got up to speed.

Having the bike racked the day before I made the decision to try to clip in my shoes while on the rack. Should have taken the bike off the rack and clipped in as I think this may have been the problem with the shoes falling off. I also think my heel sticking issue with the wetsuit was due to putting on the wetsuit with socks on. While this helped in donning the suit I did not lube my feet as I typically have done so think this may have added to my issues getting the suit off.
Bike
  • 1h 14m
  • 22 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Good transition, in and out quickly and onto the run

Nothing
Run
  • 52m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Back out of the park and up the hill for a short while, then over a 2 mile descent to the turn around. Averaged around a 7:40 for the first three miles and was feeling pretty good at the turn around. After the turnaround the course detoured onto a back road and at mile 4.5 up a crazy climb and made the decision to walk up about 500 feet as my running was not any quicker. I had passed someone in my age group about .5 miles before the climb and having judged by people at the turnaround figured I was either 2nd or 3rd in my age group. I told myself I would walk up until he passed me back and then continue to run. At the top of the hill he passed and I took off again right behind him. I was just going to play cat and mouse with him until around the 5.5 mile mark and make my move. I thought I had saved much more than him on the hill climb and having put in over 425 miles running this year knew that I had trained enough. At the 5.5 mile mark I zipped by and tried to look like I was cruising, but actually I starting having a cramp in the back of my right thigh. I reached back once but did not want to give him any inkling that I was having issues so I pushed on. I could hear his footsteps and then at mile 6 I tried to kick it up another notch. At this time I could still hear his footsteps so I gave it all I had for the last 2 tenths. Entering the finisher chute I looked back to see him about 40 yards behind me and with no one in front I slowed a little, zipped up my top and ran through.

Not sure, thought I had trained well but this was my first attempt at the Olympic distance as well as my first AG attempt as I have been racing Clydes since I started.
Post race
Event comments:

A great family race and nice atmosphere. Things were very well organized although I think more aid stations on the run were needed.

Last updated: 2011-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:11 | 1640 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/73
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vendetta
Course: Out to first buoy, right hand turn then all the way down the lake and back again to the beach area. Not really a triangle nor any other shape I no has a name.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:14:00 | 22 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Course started out in the park and then immediately up a small hill over the interstate. The next 3.5 miles after this were downhill and fast. Got to the 4 mile mark and was happy to see the average speed of 25mph. The course then turned to back roads that were rough enough to keep my out of aero position for much of the next 10 miles. It was challenging but my training rides had me more than prepared. I tried to push hard and was wanting to rely on my run training to carry me in for the 10K. Really felt pretty good the entire ride. The last two or so miles was a climb back into the park. Saw my average speed decay almost 2 mph over those last two miles. My garmin indicated about 2500' of climbing over the 22 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:15 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with a detour through the woods on the return. Really a very challenging course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-04 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: Rocky Gap International Triathlon

2011-06-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3532685

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Rocky Gap International Triathlon
1st time for me running in Age Group as I have always been a Clyde.  Really a nice race, put on well, and beautiful scenery!  Hope to do this one again.
2011-06-06 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3533353

User image

Expert
North Central WV
So second in your AG?  That is awesome!  Congratulations. I told you that you would be going places once you got onto a road bike.  Great race.  Good on you for pushing at the end to keep you place.  Wish I had been there.  Don't think I will be doing any triathlons this year except for perhaps the SSS. 
2011-06-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3532685

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Was hoping to see you at the Mountaineer in a few weeks.  I can't wait to go back this year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocky Gap International Triathlon Rss Feed