REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 11s
Overall Rank = 84/196
Age Group = 25-29F
Age Group Rank = 14/26
Pre-race routine:

After a restless night, up at 4:45am, breakfast of oatmeal and peanut butter, gathered my things and my husband and went to the site. Transition set up quickly, if a little squashed, but they had our names by our spot which made me feel like a total rock star.
Event warmup:

Quick dip in the water to determine that it wasn't too bad of a temperature.
Swim
  • 33m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really disappointed with the swim! My time was no better than it was last year without a wetsuit and minimal swim training. I would really like to know how far I actually swam, because I can't believe that I was not any faster than I was before with all of the pool time and technique training. I know I was off course in the middle, but I was really disappointed with my swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Try to be more on course? And look into a wetsuit that fits me better - this was a rental and it fit everywhere but the arms and the legs in that it was MUCH shorter there compared to what everyone else's suit looked like. Kind of like I had grown out of it. First time in a wetsuit, shoulders got a little tired, but not too bad. Loved the free lift in the legs though.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Bike
  • 1h 36m
  • 25.68 miles
  • 16.05 mile/hr
Comments:

If we weren't going up, we were going down. Had driven the course the night before, so I had some idea of what I was getting myself into, but it was tough. I was surprised at the lack of flat in the course as it really was just up and down. It was tough, no doubt about it, but it was actually enjoyable. There were 3 really tough hills where I ran out of gears to shift into, but I was always able to pass someone on those segments as well which was a nice ego boost. Hardly saw anyone in my age group though.

Train more hills. I only had a month of dedicated bike/hill training. Didn't bike all winter, a few times in SC before we moved north and then it rained for 6 weeks. I don't own a trainer. So considering my lack a bike fitness and the climbing on the course - of which this last month has been the only time I've ever actually biked hills, I was pleased. I know with practice I could get my average up there. Just wasn't enough time to prepare and I knew it beforehand, but was hoping for the best.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Surprised I took that long, but it was a long transition run. Not sure where the timing mats were, but I didn't waste any time fiddling around with anything. In, boom, gone.

Nothing
Run
  • 53m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the part of the race that I'm actually really happy with. Holding an 8:41 mile after that bike was pretty impressive to me. I passed a ton of people, and only got passed 2-3 times. The run went by so quickly for me and I definitely could have run further if I needed to. I really enjoyed this part of the race, it was really shady too. The hills were pretty beastly though, but slow and steady, right?

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Across the finish line they were handing out icy wet towels - MOST WONDERFUL THING EVER!
Walked around a bit, ate a hot dog, and then gathered up an left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sighting, first time in a wetsuit, lack of hill training.

Event comments:

This was a great race and a great distance. First time doing an Olympic, and I like the longer distance. Rev 3 did an excellent job with everything. I only wish that I would have the opportunity to come back and race it again next year to see what I could do with some more hill training. Eric warned us at the prerace meeting that the course was brutal, and even though it was, it was fun and challenging enough that you wanted to be done, yet wanted more. I had a great time, would definitely recommend.

Last updated: 2011-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:20 | 1500 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/26
Overall: 126/196
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2xu Velocity
Course: One clockwise loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:36:00 | 25.68 miles | 16.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/26
Overall: 96/196
Wind: None
Course: Hilly would be an understatement.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:50 | 06.21 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 84/196
Course: Flatter than the bike, with 3 mega hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-04 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev

2011-06-04 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3532812

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev
Oh, and I hit 42 mph on a downhill. Now that's a hill!!
2011-06-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3532812

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev
Great job on a tough course!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev Rss Feed