Max Performance
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 52s
Overall Rank = 345/590
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/42
Pre-race routine:

Got to race early. Set up transition, stretched, played with my son.

put water in my new water bottle for a run.mixed a gu roctane in there for hydration on the run.
Event warmup:

Did a quick 5-6 minute jog out of transition from my spot.

Got in the water and did some warm up strokes. Water was cold, and face got numb.
Swim
  • 14m 19s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lack of swim training really hampered performance. Swim felt longer than 1/3 of a mile.
What would you do differently?:

should have warmed up going the direction of the race. not expecting current to be as strong. Between poor navigation, no swim training, and stronger than expected current. had real difficulties swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

ok transition. Cold water affected my ability to concentrate. Slow jog from swim exit to my rack spot.

Tried initially to get suit off standing up. When I almost fell over for the third time. Stopped and let some time go by. Sat down on ground and took the rest of the suit off.
Put on shoes, waited until putting on helmet to take off swimcap and gogles. Should have taken those off after i unzipped my wetsuit.

helmet on,glasses on, and out of t1.

not much. sit down right away to take off wetsuit. take goggles/swim cap off right after the suit is unzipped.
Bike
  • 34m 36s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

had some problems at the start probably lost about 2-3 minutes. had problems clipping in to pedals out of t1. about 300 yards later, thought my chain popped off. stopped pedaling and coasted to a stop, unclipped only to find out my chain was still on.

pedal next time to make sure the chain is off and not just changing gears.

i could have pushed a little harder, got passed a bit, but passed a lot as well.

drink more water. swallowed a lot of salt water on the swim, lots of water and gu drink left over after the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

much better t2 transition. very tough corner coming into t1, had to slow way down, so had no problems there. ran through and racked bike, new bike racks helped out a lot. just put rear tire in place and there you go.

had race number on already from the bike so just a shoe swap and a hat and off i went.

had a bit of an issue getting my bike shoes off, but not much. practice more and this may get faster.
Run
  • 27m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

pretty good. tough first hill. wasn't quite prepared. run course wasn't quite laid out to which side we should be on. did better on the second hill.

could have gone a bit faster, had some hypdration issues. shouldn't have mixed the gu with my water. didn't quite care for the taste, that could be for longer runs. just water would have been better.

same as on the bike. i got passed by some runners, passed some runners.

finished strong. really kicked it up at the finish.

not much. kept good pacing, new shoes are very light. loved running in them. no blisters.
Post race
Warm down:

not much. wanted to go for a quick post-race swim to cool down. water was way to cold for that.

stretched a bit, walked around. drank water, and ate some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training for one. need to swim, bike more. running was good, but need to do bricks to get used to running off the bike. also biking after swiming, which will be tougher to do.

Event comments:

first time i've seen a lot of the post-race festivities. mainly due to the extra giveaways. post race food was salad, and either a pasta w/ meat sauce, or two slices of cheese pizza.

good course mostly flat. good volunteers, good crowd. will probably do again next year.

Last updated: 2011-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:19 | 586 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 399/590
Performance: Below average
HR monitor didn't work during the swim. also forgot to hit lap button on the transition
Suit: xterra vortex
Course: Straight line, with a slight bend to the right
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:36 | 10 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Overall: 313/590
Wind: Some
Course: an out and back course with rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:10 | 03.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 367/590
Course: a kind of looping out/back? tough to describe. Not bad. although we ran up probably the only two hills on the cape.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes