General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
United States
Highlands Ranch Community Association, Inc.
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 1s
Overall Rank = 70/180
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

7 hours sleep, up at 4:15 and had the usual b-sandwich and a small OJ, along with 1/2 coffee driving to Westridge. Nothing eventful on the radio on the way over. Arrive at 5.
Got into transition, and found an end spot on a rack situated on the handicap parking spots, impossible to miss for either transition. Set up the mat, debated weather or not to wear socks, opted not to...more on that in a bit.
Event warmup:

Jogged down to the pool, and yes they ran the sprinklers so the run from the pool will be nice and cold. Jogged back up to transition, went through both changes in my head, and went back down to the pool. ~200 of drill laps and wall stretches, out to get the chip, back in the water for another 100 and more stretching. Then everybody out of the water.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

'Self seeded' lanes roughly according to time; of the 4 of us, myself and another guy decided we were both fast 7/slow 7 depending, the other two weren't completely sure. So we start with the 7's then the others, and sure enough lapped them 2/3 through, then #2 passed me with 2 laps to go, not sure why at that point. This and skipping 1/2 my flip turns made for a little slower time, but #4 out of the water isn't bad.
What would you do differently?:

Suck it up and do the flip turns, also need to work hypoxic drills back into my swims...neither workout resource includes that in their content, and I can feel how its made me lazy on my breathing.
Also haven't pool swum with the tri top before, but can't say I noticed the difference.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Overall this went well...sort of. Dropped the cap outside the pool door, up the hill on cold grass, reached the rack and wiped the water from hair and face before helmet and goggles went on, the went to the shoes. Hadn't practiced putting the new shooz on fast, and so of course they didn't go on that way; I give futzing with footgear and extra 20 seconds.

practice how to do the shoes faster. All else was good.
Bike
  • 46m 43s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Out the lot, down Foothills Canyon, onto Town Center looking at a blood red sun through thin clouds. Have I mentioned yet its 52 degrees? I did mention opting not to wear socks, and that made things chilly for the wet feet. Climbed TC, climbed Lucent, climbed B'Way, so far so good, just a handful of bikes in front of me and no one visible behind, this is good...onto Wildcat Reserve, bear down on the big ring, trying to get speed up, I don't feel as fast as I should...check my speed, barely 30 on a 35-40 grade, look down at the rear wheel the same time I feel the psi reach about 20 there...whats another word for OH, CRAP! ? There goes the race.
But wait, you brought a small kit with you, so all is not lost. However, changing a tire on the roadside and doing it when you're in a BIG HURRY are two very different things, as I'm about to discover.
1. Wheel off, bike on grass, wheel in hand
2. Back to bike, unzip kit bag and pull tire irons which are on top, good
3. Start to remove tire bead, remember valve ring, take that off, then back to remove tire bead; rip tube out, fling away in anger
4. Back to bike, dig tube out from bottom of kit bag; remove valve ring and remember to not lose it
5. valve in rim, tube in tire, tube in tire, tube in tire; locate green tire irons scattered on green grass, tire bead finally reseated
6. Pull CO2 charger, ready to inflate tire, notice charger needs be reversed to work; get CO2 straightened, start filling tire.
7. Tire not filling, why not? Lock on charger still locked, unlock it, start filling tire.
8. Tire half full and stops, why? Too fast with the CO2 and valve seems frozen, roll between fingers to unfreeze, finish filling tire.
9. Wheel back on in alignment always a slight challenge, close counts today
10. re-gather tire irons, CO2 charger, mental check to come back for trash after race, back on the road.
I figure those 10 steps are good for about 6 minutes of bike time, not to mention the lost momentum of otherwise ripping fast all the way back down to Town Center for lap 2. Also I am now probably rolling on 80-100 psi, which might be good for a cross trail but not here and not now. Oh. Well.

I would practice seeing how fast I can change a tire while wet and cold. But I just did that in this event, so check.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Wiped my feet on the folded towel, helmet off, hat on, and wrestled with the damp cold feet into the sock-less shoes. Took five steps and then went back for a big drink off my transition bottle, which I had forgotten to do while I was standing there doing the other stuff.

bottle was kind of tucked behind the foot of the rack, put it in a more visible/reachable spot?
Find a shoehorn and add it to the transition kit?
Run
  • 27m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Out onto the trail and the feet feel oh so stiff. That thing about wet sock-less feet on the bike at 52 degrees? Makes them feel like blocks, fortunately mile 1+ of this course is a mild downslope and eventually they seemed to warm up ok.
Best 5k run ever at the end of a race, and done sock-less in the Nike Free runs. This is a very good thing and a big hurdle to clear.

Nothing really. All good here
Post race
Warm down:

walked the lot, had a couple of gatorade cups, had the back wheel checked at the BS tent; then packed up and headed home and then to the kids' swim meet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tire.

Last updated: 2011-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 500 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 4/180
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: pool swim, 20 lengths long run from indoor pool uphill to T1
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:43 | 12 miles | 15.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: two loop course on the HR bike lanes of the west side. http://www.hrcaonline.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=qVU4SLEp_F0%3d&tabid=414
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:27:44 | 03.11 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the paved thru Marcy Gulch and past Rover's Run plus two blocks up Town Center Drive. http://www.hrcaonline.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=dfQgN1AUyX4%3d&tabid=414
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-05 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon

2011-06-05 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3533295

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon

Nice race.  Sorry about the tire that would have sucked.  I'm with you on the cold grass coming out of the pool. I'm actually suprised there were no falls/slips coming out.  I still wish I had gone sockless.  I've ridden quite a bit without socks, and run two races without, but with the bad foot, thought better of it.  Guess we all live to race another day.

Again, good job out there.

2011-06-05 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Good job, Steve- nothing to be ashamed of.  You took a mere 6 minutes to change a flat, I would say that was a big accomplishment.  Best run ever, too- and your swim hasn't suffered a bit.  Overall I'd say you had a darn good day!
2011-06-05 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Yep, very good race all things considered.  Went sockless as well and my feet were a bit numb by the time the run rolled around.
2011-06-06 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Very fast swim!  I can only dream of ever swimming that fast. Sounds like this might have been a break-through run for you...nice job!  Bummer about the flat.  I have never flatted during a tri...that would seriously suck!  Way to not let it ruin your run.  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon Rss Feed