Max Performance
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 52s
Overall Rank = 309/590
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 23/36
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Onset, MA with family in tow the morning of the race. First triathlon so wanted to have plenty of time to grab race package, set up transition and warm up swim.
Event warmup:

The swim course is in a bay with temps ~65 degrees. I wanted to make sure that I got acclimated to the cold water to avoid shock and that take your breath away feeling.
Swim
  • 12m 48s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good warm up and was able to acclimate. However, I was in the newbie wave which began about 28 minutes after the first wave. By the time my wave got in the water for the start I need to get used to the water again. Good start with the expected crowd to deal with. Kept calm and had an uneventful first half. However, once I began with a breaststroke break just after half I kept taking them. I managed to swim it in a little choppy (too many breaks) but at least it was done.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more! I started training for this sprint 2.5 months ago with 2-3 days of lap swimming per week - typically double the distance of the race swim. I took 1 OWS clinic which helped greatly - in colder water, rain and cooler air temps. Helped me get used to my new wetsuit as well.
I'm not going to feel too bad about my time. Before training it had been about 20 years since I actually swam a lap! BT, TI and You Tube helped me get through. Now I'm thinking about a swim coach and adding some structured training/drills etc.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

I was a little too disoriented coming out of the swim. My intent was to take the top half down during the jog into T1 but somehow only managed to loosen the collar. I can't say my actions were quick but I did everything I could to not waste time. No problems with the wetsuit, helmet, eyeglasses, socks, bike shoes in that order.

I can't think of anything. This is the first time I've ever gone from a complete swim to the bike - yeah didn't practice that one. I didn't count on wet feet to pull shoes over!, but I did manage to set up the socks 'condom style' which made things easy.
Bike
  • 34m 24s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

They say you should do your first tri with what you have. Well it was between a 14 year old mountain bike and a 30 year old 10 speed. I opted for the 10 speed with $400 of upgrades. I passed and got passed. Overall I think it was a pretty decent ride considering the bike is about 30 lbs.

Train more! Just 99 miles of training in the last 2 months. I think I have it in me to eventually post a decent split. A new bike would definitely help, and maybe that would make me want to spend more time on the bike. I'm sure once I get on a modern bike I'll say I should have gotten one sooner. I did enjoy this leg (my favorite of the day) and think I could fall in love with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

About as good as it gets I guess. I didn't like the speedlaces I bought and went with laces. Don't regret that at all.

Not much, I guess just do things faster and try different lace options.
Run
  • 25m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This is supposed to be my strength but obviously still getting used to running off the bike. Took about 1.5 miles to get comfortable in my usual stride. I'm not fast but have been running consistently for 4 years (7 marathons and a bunch of races under that). This was the most leisurely 5K I've ever done :)

More bricks! - did 2 with 4, 5 mile runs after. I can go forever on the run but have trouble getting into the 5K mode afte the other 2 legs. Eventually if/when I do longer distance tri's I think my run will actually be better overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza with my kids - I was just happy to finish and couldn't stop smiling afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Short training period for the swim and bike. 30 year old/30 lb bike.

Event comments:

Must give a shout out to Max Performance. They put on a great event. They also sponsored the OWS clinic which helped immensely. They are terrific in helping newbies and most likely the growth of the entire sport.

My first tri - I am totally stoked!

Last updated: 2011-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:48 | 586 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 265/590
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Point to point swim in the bay.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:40
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:24 | 10 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Overall: 306/590
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back - flat and fast for the most part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:39 | 03.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 292/590
Course: One moderate/big hill, the rest rolling to flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-05 1:56 PM

User image

Massachusetts
Subject: Escape the Cape Triathlon

2011-06-06 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3533316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Escape the Cape Triathlon
Congrats! I was there also, and agree it was a well run race.
2011-06-06 4:55 PM

was awesome, I had a blast
2011-06-07 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congrates on your race! Max performance puts on a great venue everytime!

Have fun and good luck with the rest of your season!

Jeff

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape the Cape Triathlon Rss Feed