General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training plans and vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-05 3:01 PM

User image

NC
Subject: training plans and vacation

at the end of this month i will be starting a 12 week olympic training plan for a tri in september. however, in looking at it, we will be on a cruise during week 3 of the training plan (approx. 8 hours of activity) with a recovery week (approx. 4 hours of activity) for week 4, which is the week after the cruise. will i totally disrupt the plan if i flip flop those weeks? i don't mind doing some training while i'm gone, but i worry that i won't have either the time or the motivation to get the full 8 hours done. my next scheduled recovery week is week 8. having never really followed a plan before i'm not sure how flexible i can be with it. 

also, getting the swim portion in won't be a problem, and the run i can do on the treadmill if necessary, but what about the bike? will it be alright to use just a regular stationary bike during that time? i know it's not the same as a trainer or being on the road, but i suppose it's better than nothing. there are also spin classes available on the ship, so i thought that might be a possibility as well.

any advice would be appreciated!

2011-06-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3533398

Phoenix
Subject: RE: training plans and vacation
I just had this happen to me a few months back.  I packed everything as if I was going to train in Cancun and Cozumel but the drinks took over and so did the late nights!  Take the week off it will help the body heal and when you come back be ready to hit it hard again.  Even if you hit the gym for a couple of days in the AM on the boat for some running and lifing that would be great. 
2011-06-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3533398

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: training plans and vacation
Overall consistency is key, and not getting injured. Switching things out and reordering things here and there certainly won't hurt your fitness. In fact, following a plan to the letter, rather than listening to your body, adjusting to fit your needs, weaknesses, lifestyle, etc., is worse than being flexible. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training plans and vacation Rss Feed