General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Trialthlon Series, St.Paul Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

America's Trialthlon Series, St.Paul - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
St.Paul, MN
United States
TriAmerica
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 40s
Overall Rank = 55/202men
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/34
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5:30 AM. Brushed and got dressed. Had a granola bar and some coffee first thing (5:40AM) ... took my vitamins and drank some water...

Had all my stuff prepped from the night before.
Event warmup:

Setup my bike and laid out my stuff on my towel. Walked around the transition area. Went down to the beach and swam out around 50 meters... at roughly 7AM. National Anthem at 7:16AM... international distance waves kicked off from 7:18 to 7:45. Sprints started at 8AM... or roughly there abouts. My age group was 2nd in the sprint line up ... we had the nude or condom caps... (as I called them...) lol It was cold ...I was shivering with the 60-62 degree weather in the morning. The water was warm though... so I was ready to dive ... First swimmmer got out in 22-23 minutes ( a woman) prior to the sprints even starting... How do they do that so fast!!!!!!
Swim
  • 17m 55s
  • 850 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did pretty good... not stellar .. but I managed to do freestyle the probably 90% of the time. I took breastroke to turn the bouys (2 of them) and a few times to gather my navigation... did a breif 1-2 minutes breastroke at roughly 1/2 and 3/4 the way .. then kicked it back into high gear with the freestyle.
What would you do differently?:

Freestyle all the way. Concentrate on fluttering and drafting more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

I put my shoes on by sitting down and pulling my socks on first... this is obviously an area where I need work.

Lose the socks and put the shoes on the bike and gear 'in' after take off... that will reduce time quite a bit... not doing now... need lots of practice... as I am still uncomfortable strapping in while biking...
Bike
  • 37m 40s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Bumpy road... I got cursing pretty good on the hills... felt like I did roughly 20+ MPH average... the event time will confirm no doubt...

Push harder.. bike training has been lagard for me...
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I prepped my shoes prior to stopping... taking them off was a breeze... Putting on shoes was quick enough... Felt fast to me... I didn't do the bike on 'top' of shoes... but pulling them out was very easy... had a drink from my bike bottle prior to taking off.

hustle more.... get a seat to pull shoes on ... make it easier then sitting on pavement .. possible more efficient.
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't drink at all... had some water in transition

TEMPO... I pushed the first mile in high gear and just starting trailling off quick.. If I had done a 10K I would have be lousy... need to practice tempo with gradual increase in speed and not decreasing like this one was ... first mile was awsome .. but the last was terrible.. all in all it averaged out pretty nice..
Post race
Warm down:

water ... walked around ... felt pretty strong still...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental drive... I treated this race with a passive ambition. I just wanted to beat my last time mostly. I could have pushed harder.. but didn't want to...

Event comments:

Pretty good race... would have like more refreshments... no energice at this race... lol. lowkey race compared to the LTF one in July... all in all I liked it ... I'd say it was average in my opinion having done 3 this year now with this one being the lowest on the quality benchmark... but it was still a good race ..and I would do it again...

http://www.sommersports.com/results/displayresults2005.asp?event=ta...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:55 | 850 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/34
Overall: 61/202men
Performance: Good
HR AVG 144/MAX 154 . My watch said 17:56... waiting on official times wet suits were allowed
Suit: 2 piece
Course: Rectangular across west to east - to south - then back west..
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:40 | 12.43 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/34
Overall: 48/202men
Performance: Average
Split 1/2: HR AVG 153/MAX 162 - 18:17.1 Split 1/2: HR AVG 154/MAX 161 - 20:15.8
Wind: None
Course: Parkway , 2 big hills ... one of them knocked me (and others from the looks of it) down to 10 MPH. Big hills going back got crusing up to 32 MPH .. awsome feeling going fast like that...
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/34
Overall: 74/202men
Performance: Below average
1 mi - 7:26.0 - HR AVG 160/MAX 164 2 mi - 8:06.8 - HR AVG 160/MAX 166 3 mi - 8:55.2 - HR AVG 161/MAX 167 .11 - 0:55.4 - HR AVG 168/MAX 171 (PUTTING in the extra push at the end)
Course: Round the lake... small spur at start
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-28 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: America's Trialthlon Series, St.Paul

2005-08-28 7:10 PM
in reply to: #235892

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: America's Trialthlon Series, St.Paul
hey, we probably passed each other out there today! i was there for the olympic course. great job! results are up now. http://www.sommersports.com/results/2005/triamerica/stpaul/
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Trialthlon Series, St.Paul Rss Feed