W2 Promotions, Inc.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 15m 10s
Overall Rank = 530/1013
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 48/63
Pre-race routine:

This had been on my schedule, but due to work, injury, lack of motivation after Calif. 70.3, I had only gotten my long run back up to 8 miles. So I wasn't going to do this, and ran my usual Tues/Thurs temp and Wed/ Fri easy runs before it. Then on Friday afternoon decided to do it. Not that I would have gone much faster had I "tapered," anyway.

Goal was basically to walk all the aid stations and walk hills as needed.

I had said going into my 70.3 that if I could get an 8 mile long run in (was injured then, too), I'd be happy. Funny how an 8 mile long run going into a standalone half marathon just feels so much more inadequate.

I also had a bailout point, as the 10 mile mark crossed the finish line then went to the final 5K. I could always quit there if things went south

At any rate, it was The Race That Killed My Garmin
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 2h 15m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Miles 1-3 Rush, Moving Pictures. This was a mistake. Wanted Radiohead, but couldn't access the iPod in the armband, so just left it where it was.

The first 3 miles were fairly hilly. First a run up PV drive to Hawthorne, then down and back up a very steep hill where some very nice houses have been built. Then it looped down to Paseo del Mar, but on a side I've never been on, just south of Lunada Bay Drive. Beautiful one lane road ride on the bluffs

A little disorganized. First aid station wasn't ready so we all had to wait to get filled cups. First port-a-potty was still zip tied shut :^

Miles 4-6, Radiohead, OK Computer. Finally got the right music. A little laid back, appropriate for a laid back run

This section followed Paseo del Mar on the roads we cycle on up to the intersection with PV West for the turnaround. Mostly uphill, but, like everywhere else, along the bluffs with some VERY large houses. All on streets, some nice pace booty in this section.

Miles 7-9 - Muse, The Resistance

This was mostly just south along PV West, returning to the start area, with that steep side detour off Hawthorne again. So it went from pretty flat to pretty hilly pretty quickly.

Miles 10-13 - Linkin Park, Requiem

Wow, this was tough. Passing the finish just sucked. Then it's a little roller up, then down, then up, then a big lonnnggggg downhill to a turnaround, followed by... you guessed it... a big lonnnnngggg uphill back up to mile 12, then rollers to the finish. Well and truly done by that point, was a struggle through the last 5K. Near the end, started drizzling a bit
What would you do differently?:

This was a hilly run that I was undertrained for, so, I don't know, run a flatter course and actually train for it?

Pretty happy that even though I gave myself permission to walk the hills, I didn't. Wasn't much faster than a slow shuffle up, but it wasn't a walk

They said the course was flatter than before. The entire course I was saying to myself "if this is flatter, can't imagine what the other one was like." Winning times were a bit slower so the "flatter" claim isn't really true.
Post race
Warm down:

None

Watched my Garmin flash quickly through every screen as I desperately tried to stop it.... Ended up being it's swan song. Can't even get the info off of it now.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

undertrained and overweight

Event comments:

Fun little run, nice that I can just get up and run a 13.1 without getting too jacked up about it beforehand. A bit disorganized, perhaps because it was a new location this year. Aid stations a little iffy, and the busses back up to the mall were a clusterfuck. Perhaps they need more than 4 for 1,000 people, eh? Thankfully, Chris finished about 20 minutes ahead of me so I was able to get in line with him near the front. Otherwise, I may still be there.....

Last updated: 2011-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:10 | 13.1 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/63
Overall: 530/1013
Performance: Below average
Course: PV Drive West with detours then down to Paseo del Mar, return mostly PV Drive West. Last 5K was from Terranea downhill to Wayfarer's Chapel, then back uphill
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?