View Member's Race Log View other race reports
El Reno, Oklahoma
United States
Total Time = 2h 23m 54s
Overall Rank = 23/135(m)
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

The venue is about 40 minutes away, so I left around 5:30 or so with breakfast in my belly and coffee in my cup. I arrived around 6:10 or so, parked and made my way to transition. After I pumped my tires, I noticed that my front carbon HED wheel was losing air. So, just before transition closed, I grabbed my spare practice wheel and threw it on. I'm anxious to see my pics on the course because my TT bike will look a little silly with mismatched wheels. After a mandatory meeting and potty stop, I waded into the water ready to start the race.
Swim
  • 26m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was a two lap 750 meter swim with a triangle buoy set-up. I started on the left and was right up at the front of the crowd. The gun went off and we started. There wasn't too much bumping and thrashing. I had some difficulty sighting, but generally it went well. I kept my pace even and steady, breathing on every stroke. I felt good.

I finished the first lap in around 13:30 or so. I jogged it around and got right back in the water. This time I could hug the buoys and draft off some faster people that sighted better than me. Nothing much happened on this loop. Again, I took it easy.

The water was pleasantly warm and clean tasting (you can't help but inhale / swallow some during a swim). It was very cloudy and I couldn't see past my elbows when I was swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I rinsed my feet in the kiddy pool and then was stripped by a couple of ladies. Threw my gear on and off I went. I took my time in transition, electing to run in my cycling shoes and clip in after the mount line.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 15s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The course involved two loops about 12.5 miles each. It was the flattest course non-sprint course I've done. During the first loop, I hammered a little too much and had my heart rate up pretty high. I traded places with a few dudes. I don't really have much to report on this ride. It was a nice course with some scenic farm views; and some pungent manure smells.

Towards the end of my second loop, I started passing some people on their first loop. I passed this one lady that yelled at me for not announcing I was approaching on her left. That was odd. I passed (and was passed) by a bunch of people and not one of us announced it. This wasn't the trails at Hefner Lake. This was a race. Expect to get passed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I changed socks, couldn't find my rack, and took my sweet time.
Run
  • 44m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

It had started getting a little windy at this point. So, running south on the two 3.1mi looped course was a little tougher. I wanted to average about 7:00 min/mi and see what I had at the end. Secretly I knew that if I ran a 50 min 10k, I was on my way to a PR. So, I didn't have a real sense of urgency out there.

I slipped into cruise control after the first 6:45 mile. I was clicking them off around 7:15/7:30. It felt good. After the first loop, I was going to pick it up a bit, but I never really did. Maybe I didn't have anything in the tank. I dunno. Still, I felt solid, if not a little fatigued. I didn't kick or sprint at the end. I kept it smooth and eased on to the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, hot dogs, brownie and sun chips. Then waited for about an hour and a half for the awards. I placed "First" in my age group because (1) the first place 30-34 year old placed first overall; and (2) there aren't a lot of fast 30-34 year olds. The award was a really cool license plate with the race logo and events on it. Too bad I had already gotten one at the earlier Splash and Dash. Oh well. Its nice. But what do I do with two?

Last updated: 2011-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/135(m)
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: