Max Performance
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 42s
Overall Rank = 153/590
Age Group = 36
Age Group Rank = 16/42
Pre-race routine:

Up early PB&J, coffee,granola bar for breakfast.Packed car, and left early to avoid any traffic issues. My wife was also doing her first tri so we had everything laid out ready to go the night before, or so we thought. Pulled into the parking lot of the race venue and I told my wife, make sure to bring a photo ID. I then realized since she drove to the event, that I didn't bring any ID for myself! After picking up her race packet first, then explaining that I didn't have any photo ID to get mine, they allowed us to show, our bank checkblanks,my insurance card, and a credit card. THank god for that! I was another one hour drive back home to get my ID! Got lucky on that, I guess. Have been plagued by a early season shin splint which I ran through for a number of weeks, giving myself a Tibial stress fracture. 5 weeks out from that diagnosis, my plan was to only swim and then bike; quitting at T2 and not runnning. Well...the race excitement got to me, and I ended up doing a slow jog the full 3 mile run, and finishing the whole race. Now that my leg is pretty sore again, wondering if that was such a good idea?
Event warmup:

Did a 5 minute speed walk, jog. Didn't plan on doing the run portion so didn't spend much time on that. Stretched, got into the water to get use to the cold temps. Did some quick pickups.
Swim
  • 12m 12s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Point to point swim. Swam out to starting buoy, positioned myself to the far right starting line. Plenty of space. I seemed to veer off to the right to much. Goggles fogged up a little so sighting was interesting. No real OWS contact as I was use to. Everyone was pretty spread out. While waiting for the starting horn, you could feel the current slowly pulling you back from the start line.
What would you do differently?:

Start further towards shore, and avoid veering to the right. Probably swam alittle further then necessary due to poor starting spot. Was hoping to get into the mix of bodies with a more aggressive swim group start. But a large starting line area, made that easy to avoid.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

T1 uneventful. Wetsuit,cap,goggles off. Sunglasses on, racebelt on,helmet on,ran to mount line. Exited T1, and mounted bike. This was my first race having my shoes already clipped into the pedals. Left shoe scraped/dragged the ground strangely.

Use rubber bands to place shoes in a more solid postion when starting off to pedal.
Bike
  • 29m 36s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Figured I was only going to swim and bike, due to my shin injury and not run, so I went out pretty hard on the bike thinking I would DNF myself after the bike segment.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

My bum leg felt pretty good considering. Being all caught up in the race atmosphere, I decided that if anything I would speed walk the run segment. I had no intentions of running due to my stress fracture injury, but after pulling on my calf sleeve brace, and running shoes, I was off.
Run
  • 25m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Watching everyone take off on the run, I figured at least I could speed walk the run segment. I started off with a slow jog and bumped it up to a slow run. Was able to run the full 3 miles. Had to stop twice to snug up the tension straps on my shin brace. I had spent alot of time the past winter months, working on my run and speed work. Prior to my leg injury I was gunning for a sub-7 minute mile pace. Coming into the race I hadn't ran for the past 6 weeks, trying to allow time to heal the leg. A little discomfort, but my right leg mainly felt weak. I was still able to run just over an 8 min. mile pace. I ran with some discomfort, but definately held back, somewhat scared of putting to much into the run. No reason to ruin the whole tri season, just trying to accomplish one race's run segment.

Nothing. Possibly NOT run at all. But the race excitement caught up to me. I took it easy. Definately below average run pace for me, but not bad considering I had the intention of DNFing myself and NOT running at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, stretching, icing my leg.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running with a sore leg.

Event comments:

Coming out of this winter, and increasing my running and uping training,along with a nagging shin splint, left me with a right tibial stress fracture. An xray and clinical findings sidelined my run training only 6 weeks or so before the race. Planned on making this my so-called "A" race this spring, but backed off that idea after I couldn't run for 6 to 8 weeks. Will now focus on healing. Max Performance always puts ona a great event! Great pizza after!

Last updated: 2011-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:12 | 586 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/590
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Point to point swim, starting in water. As you swam up to the starting buoys you could feel a slight current pulling you back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:29:36 | 10 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Mostly flat and fast course. A few slow rolling hills, but very minor. Turn around point had a no passing zone, which I really slowed me down. Was behind a couple of slower riders, that had to wait to pass until after we exited that zone. Turn around point was a parking lot right off the beach area,so it was a little sandy in some areas. Last 1/2 mile of bike course went through a tightly closed neighborhood road that was pretty chopping. Otherwise, nice ride. Had to ride thru 2 or 3 single file shouts, around a couple of corners, made you really slow down and lose some speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:15 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out thru neighborhoods, along the water. Nice cool breeze. Most corners/course marked fairly well. 2 or 3 small inclines to tackle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-05 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Escape the Cape

2011-06-06 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3534076

User image

Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Escape the Cape
Nice race!  I was there too for my first.  Rest and heal up for the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape the Cape Rss Feed