General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon- Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Rapids Triathlon- Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Rapids, Michigan
United States
Tris4Health
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:15, strong fresh-ground coffee, smoothie with banana, apple, greens, ginger, yogurt, peanut butter, multivitamin, and skim milk. Out the door at 4:15 to arrive as transition opened at 5:15. A good parking spot and place on the rack is priceless.
Event warmup:

Rode my gear .7 miles to transition, lots of walking around, and a few hundred yards in the reservoir.
Swim
  • 15m 32s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good the whole way, kept my head down and kept going, stopping briefly when a kayak crossed my path to help a struggler. My lats were even sore afterward, which is a sign that I pushed a little more than usual.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Had trouble getting out of the suit, but there were strippers right there, so I sat down, and they yanked it right off.

Let the strippers do there thing before I even try.
Bike
  • 35m 33s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode hard, doing most of the distance with a group of guys who would pass me on the uphills, and whom I would repass on the downhills and flats. It was a constant game of leapfrog, taking care not to draft, although some of those guys definitely violated the 'within three bike lengths' rule for much longer than 15 seconds without passing.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Good T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I know how to suffer on the bike, but when I get to the run, I feel as if I can't go any faster. I'm willing to suffer, but I can't my my arms/legs do the thing. I shortened my stride and tried to concentrate on a quick turnover on the rising grades, and lengthened my strides on the dowgrades.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with friends, walked around a bit, stretched, at the food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I think today was a really good race for me, all three legs.

Event comments:

It was the inuagural year, so there are some things to improve, but the location and the courses were great, as were the numerous volunteers. The course was well marked and monitored, and they had closed off much of it to outside traffic. So, the racing itself was awesome. They need to publicize the location of the awards ceremony well ahead, and they need to have free food and drink at that location as well. Also, I only found out that you 'had' to pick up your packet a day in advance, which is a ridiculous waste of gas and time, forcing the race to dominate the whole weekend for a family. It was obvious that they would have to have packets that morning, and they did. Drop the pretense, please.

Overall, though, it was a great race, and I will do it again, trusting that next year will be better with everyone's experience.

Last updated: 2011-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:32 | 820 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Triangle, out and to the left in the reservoir just above the dam in the Thornapple River in Ada.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:10
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:33 | 12.43 miles | 20.98 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: It was essentially the Grand Rapids Wheelmen Ada Time Trial course, which I am familiar with. Gentle slopes along Grand River Dr. Nothing too taxing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:31 | 03.11 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Course: The course generally followed a road up the river, which meant that there was a slight, uphill grade, although it could only be desribed as flat. This was great, because that meant that the second part, particularly the last mile, was slightly downhill, which made for a good finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 4:28 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Grand Rapids Triathlon- Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon- Sprint Distance Rss Feed