United States
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Whole Grain Bagel w/BP 2 hours prior. Race was only 5 min from house so I road bike (nice not to have to get up 1 hr earlier just to get there)! Banana 1 hour prior with 32 ox Gatorade. GU 10 min before start.
Event warmup:

15 min before swim did some active-dynamic warmups. Jumping jacks, seal jacks, squats and push-ups. did about 4 sets of 10. Got in water 5 min prior but we had to get back out.
Swim
  • 27m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Our wave got delayed since the M 40-44 group got delayed. I don't know if they made the adjustment or not but i guess it would be the same for everyone. Best buoys I've ever seen at any tri race ive done. Huge and easily sighted. Current I don't think was as big of issue as I anticpated. I slacked off pool work this winter and spring and I cold feel it toward the end. I don't kick at all and I need to start doing some work on that which could help my swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Start to develop kicking into my stroke during tri's. I use the wetsuit as like having a pull-bouy and let my legs float thinking I"m saving them for the bike and run, but I think i need to bite the bullet and start working them more. Adjust goggles before starting - mine started leaking within the first 200m and i had to stop, tread and adjust.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Just average. I sat down on my bucket and took the time to dry off which i normally don' do.

wear my bike shirt under wetsuit, don't dry off.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 12s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Couldn't get my bike computer to the screen i wanted to show cadance. I am in the midst of changing my bike technique to spin at 85+ to hopefully improve my run off the bike. Also just need to increase my engine, need to goto that next level.

Spend time in the bike computer manual to learn my keys better.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Transition area was very cramped with people coming in and out both directions. Had to be a little extra cautious.
Run
  • 52m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

AHHH - some major errors - When I came out of T2 I thought I had already been passed by a ton of my age group guys. During the turnaround I stopped for some pics with family friends who where volunteering, walked up the hill, stopped at one of the side streets to say hi to my family - then I miss the podium by 7 min. Not sure if all that took 7 but will not do that again. Photo ops AFTER the race :)

NO STOPPING during the race! Don't ever drink HEED again - ever. I learned very quickly that my stomach doesnt handle that well at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't feel well at finish line from drinking some of the HEED. Had a few pretzels, some watermelon and stretched a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running and core strength have to be my training focus the rest of the season. Speed and hill repeats are in store for me.

Event comments:

Post race results quicker on-line and change to the software that allows you to print your specific data. Due to the limitations of the transition area space, I would have liked to see them keep ALL non racers out -in my rack alone there were more non-athletes hanging around during and after the race. Congrats to the GR TRI team for a great event. If it continues, will step up and attempt 1/2 in future.

Last updated: 2010-11-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Sleeveless
Course: Odd shaped rectangle/triangle design
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average