United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 13/19
Pre-race routine:

after the am race, Steve drove us back up to the lodge, I got cleaned up, repacked my bike bag with the new tubes and co2, figured out the garmin issues (yay!) showered and went to hang out with Ryan, Alaina, Steve and Ranger. We ate (I brought wayyyy to much food!) drank, bull shitted and Ryan and I did some rolling, stretching and a couple yoga poses. Ow! It was really nice to hang out with the Speedy Pants Couple! :) Before we knew it, time to suit up again, and ride back down to transition to start Oly #2!
Event warmup:

None....this race starts with a tt bike start, then you swim, then you run. So, getting to the transition area was the warm up! :)
Swim
  • 28m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow...putting on a wetsuit while hot and sweaty is not much fun. I used plastic bags and got help from a volunteer. We had to walk a LONG way to get in the water which I'm sure helped my time increase. No way was I going to run in the rubber suit! Swim was ok and the water felt refreshing on loop one, but I tried to breast stroke kick near the exit and got a huge hammie twinge...so I kept swimming and hit the dock. Nice. Got up and walked it to the shore turnaround and instead of swimming to the buoys I just walked out to them...then started my swim which was very nice on the second loop.
What would you do differently?:

Not cramp and not hit the dock lol! Otherwise, nothing. Wasn't going to run in the rubber suit, nor push it on the turn around. I was feeling fatigued and fine with the results.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

this was actually t2. I walked from the swim to transition. Tired and knew I had those bloody hills just waiting for me! :)

Not much, unless I was "racing"
Bike
  • 1h 30m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Ryan had told us between races that this course was more like what we'd encounter at Lake Placid. Longish steady 4-12% grade climbs on the course today. Lots of heavy breathing once again. I think I did a bit better on the descents but was still very conservative. Very conservative.

Not tons. Rode ok, could have pushed a tad harder and again, the scrubbing the speed hurts a lot overall.
Transition 2
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

this was actually t1...a guy just in front of me got stuck in his left shoe, went down to the left and was in my way...Fortunately, I was able to get by him and a volunteer was quick to help him out of the shoe as another biker was hot on my heels. Very dangerous! So glad I didn't end up crashing into him!!! Transition for the bike was a shoot of sorts and fenced in about 5 feet wide. Lucky no one got hurt!
I was super slow getting my wetsuit on (hot and sweaty!) and goodness it was a long hot walk out of transition, then doubling back to the lake to start the swim. Was NOT gonna run it though. WAY TOO HOT in the rubber suit!

Not much. I think running would have been ok if I wasn't so warm, but my rack was 2 up from bike in, so no matter what, I had a long ways to go in a wetsuit to get out of transition. But no biggie as I wasn't pushing for a certain time.
Run
  • 1h 08m 36s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow...tired, hot, hilly run. What fun. I walked more, and tried to keep my hr at or below 160. I was mostly in the 145-150 range, walked up the tough hills and just tried to keep my walk pace moving well, not lumbering or strolling. Wanted to run about the same as the am, but was a tad slower. I saw the Speedy Pants couple, Marie, Steve, Mindy and Ranger on the run. :) Ryan's tip on using off on a hat to ward off the biting horse flies was good advice. Stinky racers must have seemed like a feast! Oh, and spill #2 was avoided...a dude almost bit it right in front of me on the trail...this course is tricky!

run a little more, walk a little less, push more on the downhill finish.
Post race
Warm down:

muscle milk and into the river I went! When I was in transition from swim to run my tire blew again, so instead of eating (I really didn't want to anyways) I got over to the bike mechanic to get my flat repaired. Again.
:( I ran out of time for my massage (Chauffer Steve was anxious to get back to the lodge to get dinner and to bed) but I did NOT want to ride my bike back up the hill to the lodge, and I DID want my tire repaired, so that's the way the cookie crumbled. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Jeeze, I'd say an AM oly lol! I think I did fairly well considering the course, my bad sleep 2 nights running and the effort from the mornings race.

Event comments:

Goodness, this is a tough weekend! Fatigue is setting in and I was so bummed to not get my massage. Dinner was really nice with Steve, Dave, Chuck, Marie, Mindy and Eric. I did get a chance to roll a bit afterwards. Then I had to get all my crap down to another room before heading to bed. Tired. Have to do a half in the morning, and I'm tired.

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:28 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 192/
Performance: Average
Suit: zoot full
Course: same counter clockwise 2 loop course as am oly
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:30:35 | 24.85 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Overall: 245/
Wind: Some
Course: this time we did an out and back course all pretty much on 125. It was mostly nice recently paved black top, with some chip seal at the end and a few rough spots near transition. A really long climb back after the turn around, and of course, the climb just a few miles from transition
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:07
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:36 | 06.55 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 245/
Course: Same hilly fire trails as the morning. Oy!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes