General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Danskin
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 36s
Overall Rank = 323/1038
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 50/114
Pre-race routine:

Had toast and headed for the race site. Problems with parking/shuttles, so ended up parking about 1/2 mile away and walking in. Mandatory bike drop off the day before, so I already had my bike/spot in transition. Arrived around 6am with the delays and set up my transition area. Race was delayed 15 mins due to the parking problems.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up, other than my walk in. I was planning to do a little warm up in the water, but no one was in the water ~ making this newbie nervous to go in.
Swim
  • 22m 11s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well this was my first tri, and thus my first OWS with other people. I started off on the far left, but started too far to the front. I freaked out when people started grabbing my feet and ended up starting off way fast (for me). Then I was out of breath, and then I started to think there was NO way I could finish the whole swim. I did some side stroke and breast stroke for about the first 150 yards. Then it started to thin out, I calmed down and the remainder went well. I think the best feeling was when I could see the end and then felt sand under my feet. I had survived, and the second half went fairly well.
What would you do differently?:

Start a little further back in the wave (125 in my wave), but I mostly think just having the experience under my belt now will help in the future.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

There was a long uphill run to from swim to transition area, and my bike was on the furthest side from the bike start (and far from swim enter). Bike racks were assigned by number, so it was the same for all my age group. Getting my stuff on went really well, but I was still a bit winded from the swim, so ended up walking some from bike rack to bike start.

Nothing, I think I needed the extra time to calm down and refocus for the bike.
Bike
  • 42m 6s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went really well for me. I was nervous about getting clipped in in the crowd of bikers and about the number of bikers on the course. But, it all ended up being fine. There was no wind, so a bit hot. I was only passed a few times and passed tons of people. I was enjoying myself on this part of the course, lots of encouragement from the other women.

Nothing, I rode the course before hand and am really glad I did. It made a big difference.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

T2 went better, my rack was also right next to the run start. I was feeling really good getting off the bike.
Run
  • 37m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Well going into the tri, I was thinking the running would be by best event. I was rather wrong. I started off the run feeling good and then after about 3-4 minutes I started getting cramps and just feeling yuck. Then it all blew up. I ended up walking about half of the course, which was a disappointment. It was hot, around 90 with no wind (and this was at 9am!) Oh well, hopefully it will only get better from here!

I'm not sure. I'm started training in December and had a good solid 6 months of training. But, before this I didn't run/bike/swim at all. So my experience with racing/hydrating/running is all new. Clearly I have more to learn! It was humbling, but I was still incredible excited and proud to cross the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

I'm afraid I skipped this one! I talked with my wonderful husband and 6 y/o who had made shirts and signs (what more could a girl ask for). I felt a little better seeing that they were hot and sweaty just from sitting and watching. :) After a little rest, I made the 1/2 mile hike back to my car.

Event comments:

There is wonderful support from all the women at this event. The volunteers were great.

Last updated: 2010-12-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:11 | 880 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/114
Overall: 482/1038
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Triangle. Out long straight away and sharp angle back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:06 | 12 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Overall: 165/1038
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Some rolling hills and a few big hills, two with significant number of people walking bikes up. Crowded course, but most of the roads completely closed off to traffic so easy to safely pass bikers
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:26 | 03.1 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 536/1038
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail run on grass and on mulch. A few hills, one bigger hill right at the end.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin

2011-06-07 4:39 AM
in reply to: #3534632

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin

Looks like a GREAT first race.... you are a TRIATHLETE!!!  I remember the swim seemed endless too and I won't even go into the run... I still struggle with the run, ugh.  You've got the first one under your belt, onto the next which will be even better now that you have been through the whole process!  Nice bike pace!!!

Trek puts on a women's series too... this year's is at Pace Bend Park in Spicewood, Oct. 2nd.  Same kind of vibe as the Danskin...

2011-06-07 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3534632

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!   Congratulations TRIATHLETE!!

You did awesome!  And you did an OWS for your very first triathlon!  Mine was a pool swim, with single people going every 20 seconds or something like that.  I probably would've freaked out in an OWS for my very first one - and you rocked it! 

So awesome, so encouraged -- can't wait to do my next one. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin Rss Feed