General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bullseye bug bite Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-06 10:01 AM

Regular
Subject: Bullseye bug bite

I finished my first tri this Sunday, hooray, but afterwards I noticed this bug bite on my hand that was red in the middle, pale around that, then a red circle around that. It was a dime shaped thing; the discoloration wore off as the day wore on and is now gone. All that remains of the bite is a small raised area the size of a mosquito bite except for it's raised a little more and slightly reddened. It itches like a mosquito bite.

Yikes! The first thing that came to mind was Lyme disease, are there any other bugs that leave that tell tale mark? Thoughts?

2011-06-06 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3534635

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Bullseye bug bite
My first thought was also Lyme disease. Have you seen a doctor since the bite occurred? Where in the US was the race? were you going through the woods, weeds, swamp, etc? I would think your assumption is correct but it could also be a spider bite. I would see a Doctor, just to be sure. But in addition, how was your race? what were your times? Congrats on finishing your first Tri!
2011-06-06 10:07 AM

User image

There's a couple like that but you MUST assume the worst until/unless you have a Dr telling you different.

Go see your Doc.

2011-06-06 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX

I would always go for the safe route of seeing your doctor.  That being said, it takes about 24 hours of attachment by the tick to transmit Lyme's disease, so it's quite likely not that if you didn't pull a tick off of your hand (after not noticing it for a while).  And it is also very dependent on the area you live/race.  Only certain ticks transmit Lyme's.

I don't know what else specifically gives bulls-eye reaction.

2011-06-06 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You don't need to have a tick on you for a full day to get Lymes.

I'd say go to the doctor and get tested, but also ask about taking preventative antibiotics just in case it's Lyme. Blood test may not always be accurate and may need to be repeated. There is a screening then a more definitive test which is a Western Blot test.

I got Lyme's last year and didn't treat it right away so was on antibiotics a long time.

Google Lymes and you can read more and see what the bullseye looks like. Other thing you can do it mark it to see if it changes size.

2011-06-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3534656

Regular

dmbfan4life20 - 2011-06-06 10:05 AM My first thought was also Lyme disease. Have you seen a doctor since the bite occurred? Where in the US was the race? were you going through the woods, weeds, swamp, etc? I would think your assumption is correct but it could also be a spider bite. I would see a Doctor, just to be sure. But in addition, how was your race? what were your times? Congrats on finishing your first Tri!

It was the Hawk Island Tri in Lansing and it was big fun. I set a goal to finish in 1:30 ( I didn't haven anything to compare so it was a tad arbitrary) and I finished in 1:20.

Lansing, does everybody equate that to Lansing Michigan? I'm sure there are other Lansings out there...

No, I didn't go to the ER but I'm thinking of going to see my doc, just in case. Like I said the discoloration went away...also, I think it's usually a couple days after the tic bite that the motling sets in, but I can't be sure; this happened during the race at sometime.

Thanks for the congrats!

2011-06-06 11:21 AM

Regular
I guess I will set up an appt. to go see the doc; I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry, thanks all!
2011-06-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3534841

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
18 years ago I had a mark like what you described, on my arm. I never saw a tick. By the time I saw my doc the mark was gone and he told me, "everybody worries about Lyme's and nobody ever has it." To humor me he sent off a lyme titer and lo-and-behold it came back positive (the syphilis titer was negative he told me). I got on antibiotics early and heve never had any sequelae. I think you are doing the right thing getting checked out.
2011-06-06 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3534841

User image

Phaethon - 2011-06-06 12:21 PM

I guess I will set up an appt. to go see the doc; I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry, thanks all!

Last year I pulled a tick off my calf in June. I dumped it into a alcohol cap filled with denatured alcohol just to preserve the beastie. Called the Doc the next day and said I had a black legged tick attached to me, what would it hurt to have the antibiotic regime for Lyme's?

When I looked at the symptoms of Lyme's and thought about what it feels like daily when training for the longer tris I realized I would have no clue which was the reason for exhaustion, muscle soreness, etc. Seemed like a reasonable precaution.

Doc agreed with me so I went on the 7 day whatever it was to kill off Lyme's.

2011-06-06 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3534869

wannabefaster - 2011-06-06 11:33 AM 18 years ago I had a mark like what you described, on my arm. I never saw a tick. By the time I saw my doc the mark was gone and he told me, "everybody worries about Lyme's and nobody ever has it." To humor me he sent off a lyme titer and lo-and-behold it came back positive (the syphilis titer was negative he told me). I got on antibiotics early and heve never had any sequelae. I think you are doing the right thing getting checked out.

Congrats on the syphillus !!!  Whew!

2011-06-06 1:53 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I've had Lyme Disease twice.  It doesn't sound like it, because the mark showed up and faded too quickly, plus it's typically larger than dime size - more like a quarter.  Also, it typically comes with flu-like symptoms and fatigue that, like Daniel said, is only comparable to IM training.  The first time I had it, I was at the beach on a 90 degree day, wrapped in a blanket, and still shivering because I was so cold.  That was 10 years ago, and to this day, I still have trouble with temperatures - I'm always either hot or cold.

That said, you should still go to your doctor and request a blood test.  Occasionally the symptoms manifest themselves differently, so it's better to be safe just to be certain.

2011-06-07 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3534656

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland

dmbfan4life20 - 2011-06-06 11:05 AM My first thought was also Lyme disease. Have you seen a doctor since the bite occurred? Where in the US was the race? were you going through the woods, weeds, swamp, etc? I would think your assumption is correct but it could also be a spider bite. I would see a Doctor, just to be sure. But in addition, how was your race? what were your times? Congrats on finishing your first Tri!

x2 my thoughts as well.  Deer tick

2011-06-07 8:17 AM

Regular
CT

Consult  your doctor fast.

Had lyme two years ago, and i was on it almost immediately, still sucked. Like others also had the late afternoon chills before the rash developed. Developed belles palsy two weeks later then had to have a spinal tap to see if th elyme it got into the spine,  that incidently didn't close up nice and layed me out when my brain sagged from lack of fluid!

The blood test is indirect, it detects antibodies to lyme. So if its a first exposure, one likely tests negative. Takes a few weeks to test positive, then you likely test positive for a few years or more! Not dismissing the blood test, its an important baseline.

My doctor recommends two doses of dox quickly following any confirmed tick byte. A host of things, like RMSF can eff you up too.

Edited by GottaSki 2011-06-07 8:20 AM
2011-06-07 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3536549

GottaSki - 2011-06-07 9:17 AM

My doctor recommends two doses of dox quickly following any confirmed tick byte. 

Lyme is Bad!  Better safe than sorry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nJDHVD8QQ&feature=relmfu

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bullseye bug bite Rss Feed