General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not finishing the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-06 2:06 PM

Subject: Not finishing the swim

Gave my first sprint tri a whirl over the weekend, only to get out and not be able to complete the swim; had a kayaker bring me back in. Someone asked me if I was going to continue with the bike and run. Never really occured to me since I didn't complete the swim. But can you continue on if you don't complete a leg? Do you report yourself as a DQ? Not cross the finish line? I wasn't feeling well and the weather was lousy (rain and wind in sunny California in June), so I don't think I could have finished anyway.

Thanks!

2011-06-06 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3535259

User image

Subject: RE: Not finishing the swim

IMO, sure you can.   You're not a bandit, you signed the waiver.  Just make sure you either turn in your timing chip before continuing (and keep your own time) or advise the RD afterwards to DQ you so you don't show up in official results

ETA - people are coming in from the swim in waves for a long time.  Some even lose their chip.  There isn't anyone standing around checking these things.

Edited by ChrisM 2011-06-06 2:58 PM
2011-06-06 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
It is my understanding that in most situations, you can't continue on to the bike or run.  I did SheRox Philly last year and they told us at the information meeting if you need to get out of the water and not finish the swim they would still let you do the bike and run but not be an official finisher.  SheRox is geared towards first time triathletes and 6 weeks prior to that race someone drowned at the Philly tri.  The organizers of SheRox knew a lot of first time OWSwimmers were a little nervous.
2011-06-06 2:48 PM

Houston
This happened to me during my first sprint triathlon.  I panicked on the swim, but I tried to finish.  My bike got a flat on the third mile, so I said "f--k it, and quit." hah!
2011-06-06 2:56 PM

User image

Elite

you should have ran to T1 yelling man I am fast, catch me suckers, and pretended you won

I believe most dont let you complete the tri, but im sure some do....as above poster stated just tell RD or hand in chip/anklet if you are allowed.........i would probably be too mad to continue

2011-06-06 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3535367

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Mrschach - 2011-06-06 3:47 PM It is my understanding that in most situations, you can't continue on to the bike or run.  I did SheRox Philly last year and they told us at the information meeting if you need to get out of the water and not finish the swim they would still let you do the bike and run but not be an official finisher.  SheRox is geared towards first time triathletes and 6 weeks prior to that race someone drowned at the Philly tri.  The organizers of SheRox knew a lot of first time OWSwimmers were a little nervous.

Happened to me at a local tri a couple of years ago - someone took my name as i came in on the boat - and then I went on to do the bike and run (and had fun all the while beating myself up).  The results showed up for a couple of days and then I was moved to the DQ list.

Edited by juniperjen 2011-06-06 4:22 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not finishing the swim Rss Feed