Plano, Texas
United States
86F / 30C
Total Time = 44m 18s
Overall Rank = 10/496
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/44
Pre-race routine:

Waited in line for a looong time for packet pickup. The race team has promised to improve that for next year. Saw and chatted with Steve and Marcy Webster (Doughboy and Dodgersmom).
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 44m 18s
  • 6.34 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a little late to start b/c of the packet pickup fiasco. Fortunately, it was enough that most of the crowd had already started, and was at least already moving forward. I spent the first mile weaving heavily and running on the grass so that I could hold a decent pace.

I wasn't really anticipating this a full race effort; however, once I started going, it turned into that. I had no HRM (strap wasn't working) and I spent very little time worrying about my pace; rather I was tactically focused on where to maneuver to avoid getting blocked by other runners.

The 2-loop course worked well, as the first loop gave me an idea of where to pick up the pace for the finish. Second loop was not an issue with crowding, so I focused more on pacing and effort, and made up some time apparently. The split times were (note- not the same distance):

Checkpoint -> 26:58.42 -- 4th fastest in AG
Remainder -> 17:19.58 -- fastest in AG!

Overall, I was really happy with how I ran.
What would you do differently?:

Need to start with the faster runners to avoid the crowds. (Although I loved passing people the entire race. There was always a target ahead of me.)
Probably could have held my finishing pace just a little longer. (So pick up just a little earlier.)
Post race
Warm down:

Just grabbed a water and went to find the Glennons. Waited a bit to find Austin's results. There were lots of vendor booths with samples, but I didn't want to wait in the lines.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of recent speed training.
Better pre-race dinner choice. (i.e. not pizza and brownies)

Event comments:

Overall, it was really fun running at night with everyone wearing lights and reflective strips. I was surprised at the # of attendees (it sold out with 3350 people), but think that really added to the experience.

Would have rated this 4 stars if not for the poorly managed packet pickup and crowded finishing chute. Race directors have promised to address the concerns next year.

Last updated: 2011-06-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:18 | 06.34 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/44
Overall: 10/496
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, along Tennison and Democracy, mostly, with two shorter out-and-back sections. Ever so slightly long, (I measured 6.34; confirmed with others.) Two loops, for the 10k course. One water station on the loop at ~1.5 mi. (so also around the 4.5 mi point of the 10k) Blockaded roads, so no vehicle traffic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?