United States
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 34s
Overall Rank = 2295/17152
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 142/532
Pre-race routine:

Worked the night shift, got off @ 4AM and drove to the shuttle area. Jumped on the shuttle around 5AM and arrived at the start line around 5:20AM. Used the porto-potty, met up with the wife and the rest of the gang...crashed a corral, didn't want to start in the corral that the bib was assigned to (I picked up the bib the night before..corral #40) way in the back!
Event warmup:

Walked around the start area...light stretch...warm up came in the first 2 miles of the run.
Run
  • 1h 55m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't plan on running this race, but a bib came available (literally) at the last minute. I had worked the night shift and got off at 4AM, so I headed straight to the race on no sleep (and had run the Mud RUn the day before). I knew this would be a little struggle to finish, so I didn't push for a time...ok, I just wanted to finish under 2:00, no big feat, normally! Started with a 9:00/mile pace for the first 3 miles, just to warm up and gauge my effort. Picked up the pace as I entered the 163, since a majority was downhill, with a few rollers and a lot of banking. Hit the porto-potty at the 5 mile mark on the 163. Started getting gassy feeling around mile 8. Legs started tired around mile 11, but I kept a steady pace and had enough for a little kick at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Get sleep prior to the event, hopefully have more than a 24 hour notice that I would be running, try training with Imodium to see if that eleviates the painful, gassy feeling I get towards the end of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited at the gear pick up area for the rest of the gang, ate some of the goodies that they handed out (banana, pit chips/hummus, water). Stretched while waiting...the warm sun felt good. Walked to the shuttles and headed back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No sleep, last minute noitce that I would be running, painful stomach gas.

Event comments:

This was an awesome race. Since I was running for a friend at the last minute, I didn't know what to expect. I never ran in an RnR event, but I see the difference in the organization, entertainment and overall production of the event. Although this is an expensive entry, it shows in all aspects of the event. I would definetly do this run again.

Last updated: 2011-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:34 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/532
Overall: 0/17152
Performance: Average
Course: Beautiful course, starting at Balboa Park and winding it's way to Sea World parking lot. Jumped on the 163 freeway and used the backstreets to the finish...a couple of rlling climbs, but some generous downhills too. Lot's of banking on the 163.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes