General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mark Allen's 12 Best Strength Exercises Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-07 5:11 AM

Subject: Mark Allen's 12 Best Strength Exercises

Hello All,

I recently decided that I need to incorporate some strength training into my training, but putting on too much muscle that has a negative effect on my speed has been a concern. I know that strength training is a very highly debated subject on the BT board. I was wondering if anyone has seen this article: http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Stren... you think this a good workout to start with? I figure if Mark Allen wrote it, it has to have some credibility to it. Also, what are your thoughts about putting on too much muscle? Thanks in advance!

2011-06-07 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3536334

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Mark Allen's 12 Best Strength Exercises
Link is broken, it is:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Stren...

As to the article, lots of mythology and supposition but very little that is supported by exercise physiology.

There are many good reasons to lift, but for the vast majority of athletes, improved endurance performance is not one of them.

Shane
2011-06-07 6:49 PM

I realize that weight lifting won't increase endurance. I was wondering if you think that the actual workout included in the article, including the number of repetitions/sets, is a good workout plan to begin with. Also, what is your opinion on lifting having a negative effect on speed? Sorry for the confusion from the first post, thanks again.
2011-06-07 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3537873

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
NU_Tri_Guy - 2011-06-07 8:49 PM

I realize that weight lifting won't increase endurance. I was wondering if you think that the actual workout included in the article, including the number of repetitions/sets, is a good workout plan to begin with.

If I were to include strength training in my routine or that of my athletes, I would not take advice from a triathlete but would rather seek out advice about someone who knew about weight training. If you are looking for a good routine to use for general strength (or really whatever you want) I would suggest that you read some posts by MikeTheBear. He is very knowledgable and would likely be a much better source for strength training information.

Also, what is your opinion on lifting having a negative effect on speed? Sorry for the confusion from the first post, thanks again.

For most it is unlikely to make you slower, unless you put on significant mass which is unlikely unless you set out to bulk up. However, it is also unlikley to make you faster so depending on your goals in triathlon, it may be a great addition or it may be a waste of time.

Shane
2011-06-10 8:13 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
If you're looking for increased strength use a proven program IMO.  Crossfit is a great option if you don't drink the Koolaid.  It does have an effect of Vo2 Max and generally won't bulk even though there are Oly lifts involved.  Other than that I would look into some of the more basic, straight forward programs like Starting Strength or a 5 x 5 program.  Maybe 5/3/1 as you progress.  Use google it will yield a ton of results.  I know www.stronglifts.com has an interactive Excel spreadsheet that will spit out exactly what exercises to do and at what weight.  It takes a lot of the thinking out of lifting which is good for most since we tend to over analyze and tinker with programs.  As far as speed, I'd agree it won't really effect most unless you allow your flexibility to become compromised.  If you start to bulk up and slow down look at your diet first.  How your body reacts to an exercise program is mostly if not all dependent on your diet.  If you're eating at a caloric deficit you can't add mass.  At maintenance levels you may add some mass and lose some fat, this is called recomping.  And if you eat in excess of your daily requirements you will add mass if you are lifting heavy. 
2011-06-13 11:55 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the kind words, Shane.

Scott aka uchoog is also knowledgeable. Good post by him.

As for the Mark Allen program, I've seen worse. I generally favor compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and presses because you get the most bang for your buck with these and you can get done faster. But since Mark Allen thinks he has found the 12 best exercises, I will give my own critique.

1. Lateral Pull-downs: A good exercises. Pull ups are better if you can do them, but if you can't, pull downs are great.

2. Leg Extensions: Completely unnecessary if you are already doing squats and lunges and can create shearing forces at the knee which is bad news for the knees. Avoid these. On another, I just spent a week in the Cayman Islands where I always swam with fins. I noticed that swimming with fins felt like a "functional" leg extension. So, if you want to kill two birds with one stone, do some of your swimming sets with fins.

3. Leg Curls: Despite my criticism of the leg extension, leg curls are actually not a bad exercise. However, squats and lunges will also hit the hamstrings so you may be overdoing it with leg curls. Better choices for hamstrings would be a Romanian deadlift or a deadlift from the floor.

4. Bench Press: A weight room standard. If you're new to the exercise and are not sure how much weight you can handle you'll want to have a spotter on hand. If you don't have a spotter you can do overhead presses or as a better option, learn how to push press. Although the muscles worked are not exactly the same, push presses have increased my bench press without bench pressing.

5. Squats: For me, squats are the gold standard for leg strength.

6. Lateral Dumbbell Raise: Normally I would call this a useless isolation exercise but if your shoulders are feeling beat up these can provide some benefit. However, if the goal is to strengthen the rotator cuff, a very important shoulder muscle, I'd prefer doing the Cuban press or even a muscle snatch.

7. Calf Raises: Not necessary but can be somewhat beneficial. I like his method of doing one leg at a time holding a dumbbell.

8. Dumbbell Pullover: I hate these because they feel awkward and hurt my shoulders. Haven't done these in over a decade and never will. A way better choice if you want a swimming-specific back workout is to do a straight-arm pulldown. The exercise is just like it sounds - stand (don't sit) in front of the pull down machine, grab the handles with straight arms, and pull down towards you in an arc. Even better, bend your arm at the elbow in a high elbow catch position and then pull.

9. Backward Lunges: A good exercise. Not absolutely necessary if you're working the squats hard. If you are uncomfortable with squats then lunges can be a substitute. My personal preference is a walking lunge.

10. Bicep Curls: Seriously? Completely unnecessary unless you just want to look good. Work the pull downs hard and your biceps will get some work as well.

11. Tricep Extensions: Also not necessary unless you want to look good. Work the presses hard and your triceps will get some work as well.

12. Leg Press: If you're already doing squats and lunges, you do NOT need to leg press. Completely unnecessary and can potentially be bad for the lower back. I've seen guys doing heavy leg presses and their lower backs have a tendency to round. Rounded lower back + heavy weight = disc injury waiting to happen.

2011-06-14 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Thanks Mike.  Honestly the more I read about Crossfit from unbiased fitness folks the more I like it for triathletes.  The over the top enthusiasm that proponents of the workout style exude is really a turn off but it makes a ton of sense really.  Otherwise google DeFranco's training style.  YouTube it as well.  He is doing some really innovative stuff.  Things that if you dialed it back a notch with the amount of weight being thrown around would work great for any triathlete.  It's all very functional strength and not straightline power like a lot of routines.
2011-06-15 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Was thinking about this thread today as I did a lower body ST circuit.  I've become a huge proponent of incorporating as many movements as possible that engage the hips, glutes, and core.  This includes but isn't limited to deads (heavy BB Deads and single leg DB deads), squats, OH squats, BB Bench (generally heavy), standing OH DB presses, GHRs, Tbar rows, etc.  While not wholly convinced there is no carry over from lifting to tris I do know that strong stabilizing muscles in the core, hips and glutes will help in avoiding injuries like ITBS.
2011-06-17 5:12 AM

Thanks guys, especially Mike for taking the time to break down and give your opinion on each exercise. I'm going to alter some of the exercises I've been doing as suggested in order to make them more beneficial. I'm also going to look into this Crossfit as that seems pretty interesting. Thanks again!
2011-06-17 11:10 AM

Great write up Mike, very good points. Has anyone checked out crossfit edurance? Sort of interesting stuff.
2011-06-17 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3554256

User image

Pro
CyFair

TriGuy25 - 2011-06-17 11:10 AM Great write up Mike, very good points. Has anyone checked out crossfit edurance? Sort of interesting stuff.

It is interesting stuff.  I think at some point you'd end up overtraining.  It might be better suited for off season work.  Just my $.02.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mark Allen's 12 Best Strength Exercises Rss Feed