General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MAF-Maffetone Method-any thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-28 11:48 PM

Longmont, CO
Subject: MAF-Maffetone Method-any thoughts?
Trying to find out more about this, anyone familiar? I've read this article:

http://www.rrca.org/publicat/slowdown.html

Like the ideas but want to know more, I see there's a book on Amazon.com called: The Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Way to Exceptional Fitness--anyone have it and can comment about it?

Thanks!
Julia

Edited by msconana 2005-08-28 11:50 PM

2005-08-29 10:47 AM
in reply to: #236142

User image

, Texas
Subject: RE: MAF-Maffetone Method-any thoughts?
IMHO, I have one big problem with the MAF method.

He completely (correctly, IMHO) debunks the 220-age maxHR formula, but then fully expects us to accept his 180-age formula? Why, just because he says it's "scientifically based"? I don't believe you can have a HR based program which does not take into accout individuality.

I strongly suggest you go to a local library and see if you can get find it. I found one copy at mine. Note that he has several books that pretty much all say the same thing, so do an auther search instead of a title search.

I didn't like the book much at all. He never goes into the science of his method and has some interesting shoe thoughts.
2005-08-29 11:44 AM

Master
portland, or
It worked for Mark Allen, Mike Pigg, Chuckie V.... Frankly it's not much different then what gordo describes in his 4 Pillars articles.

From everything I've seen of Mark Allen's on-line coaching program, it's based on the Maffetone methodology.

Maffetone was the first to really preach the use of HRM's. Is his 180-age more scientific then the 220 formula? I find it hard to believe, BUT the results of the 180 formula for me is within a couple bpm of what Friel would describe as the bottom of my Zone 2.

The MAF test that's described in the article is a very efficient way of measuring progress, IMHO.

He has a number of books published, but as the other poster mentioned, they basically all say the same thing.

scott
2005-08-29 3:34 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I used the Maffetone formula to pick a heart rate for training earlier this year. A foot injury prevented me from doing a hard run to get a better estimate of my actual fitness.

Recently I noticed that 180 - age looked a lot like (220 - age) - 40. Both are based on age. I used a spreadsheet to compare the ranges of values from the Maffetone formula, after applying his adjustments, to see what percentage of 220 - age would give the same numbers. I compared from 20 years old to 65. 75% of (220 - age) is the same as Maffetone's recommendation for a beginner 20 year old. 75% of (220 - age) is also close to the top of the Maffetone range, what a veteran triathlete should use, for a 65 year old.

The old (220 - age) formula may not be very accurate by itself but taking a reasonable percentage of it as your training heart rate puts you at the same place as the Maffetone formula. I think Maffetone provides a conservative, safe training method and target heart rate estimate. It's not the only way to get fit but it will work.
2005-08-29 4:45 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
I have heard the 180-age formula is something he thought up in the shower. No joke.
It did work for some people and it works for a lot of people actually. It's not based on anything concete which is why I have a hard time with it. I have a comparison on my site about all the methods if you are interested:
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/heartrate.html

I hope this helps clear up the confusion.
2005-08-30 11:43 PM

Longmont, CO
Thanks Mike!!! :-)
J

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MAF-Maffetone Method-any thoughts? Rss Feed