United States
Ironman
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 04m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 74/98
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 3:30 and had a decent size breakfast, then chilled out for a few min before heading over to the race site. Sipped on gatorade/water until about an hour before the race. Got transition all set up and ready to go then hit the porta potties. about 15 before I had a gel, salt stick and headed to the beach. Note to self, wear sandals next time when walking to the beach and put them in my morning clothes bag, my feet were killing from walking over barefoot.
Event warmup:

short swim just to get used to the water temp.
Swim
  • 45m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

at the actual start of my wave i got all the way out to the right away from the crowd which worked out well at the start, I had some open space for the first 10 min of swimming. This was a double edge sword because I wasn't able to draft at all for that first stretch, i actually ended up off the course a little bit because i was swimming so strait, i ended up having to cut back in towards the buoy at the first turn. After that i was dead on the line the rest of the race. The second buiy was much more crowded as the wave behind me was catching me, i picked up my pace and pushed away though and i was good for the home stretch at that point. The last stretch was really crowded and i actually was able to do some good drafting through this part. Now coming out of the water was my first sign of trouble as soon as i put pressure on my legs they felt sketchy. I was able to run out and get to the wet suit strippers, which were great, but dropping down on my butt then getting back up is what set of the cramp in my quads.
What would you do differently?:

maybe get back in with the main line in the first stretch sooner so i could try and draft more.
Transition 1
  • 08m 29s
Comments:

I took some time to to stretch and wait for my legs to loosen up. I had some Gatorade, a banana and a salt stick, and a gel. Once the cramp went away I made my way out to the bike course!

I would like to avoid a cramp in my leg coming out of the water, I usually only get cramps on the run portion so I am a little unsure why that happened but it loosened up.
Bike
  • 4h 15m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.13 mile/hr
Comments:

i will try and look at the positives for me. I made it through the entire first loop without getting off my bike once, despite a ton of people walking up that big hill, i rode past them! I was able to get some serious speed on the descents and stay in control. On the flats on the second half I was down in the aero position for a ton of it, i did not like those long gradual climbs though. On the second loop up that big hill i ended up walking up the top part but that was the only time i walked on the bike course all day. I was good with getting a ton of calories on the bike which is why i was able to get through the run ok in my opinion.

Get more hill work in/get a tri bike!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

quick stop, racked my bike, put on sneakers and had a banana and the last of the Gatorade on my bike, then off I went.
Run
  • 2h 58m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Now the first two miles were ugly, my legs were not happy. The first time up the bigger hill i had to stop and stretch for a few min until the cramping stopped, but after that i was able to get through the rest of the run, although i walked up most of the hills and ran the rest, but the run was a breeze compared to the bike course.

Do better on the bike so I can run closer to my normal 2 hour half marathon time.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was timid as this was my first 70.3, i feel like i could have pushed a little harder on the swim and cut some more time off my swim.

Event comments:

Amazing first 70.3 Experience now on to the rest of the season!

Last updated: 2011-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:47 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/98
Overall: 771/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:15:51 | 56 miles | 13.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 74/98
Overall: 843/
Wind: Headwind
Course: Mountains and long flats/gradual uphills with headwinds fun!
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:58:18 | 13.1 miles | 13m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/98
Overall: 825/
Course: mostly flat 2 loop course along the lake and under some really cool ledges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes