Set Up Events
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 19m 29s
Overall Rank = 27/194
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/31
Pre-race routine:

Going back a week, we decided to do a family vacation at the beach the week before RnR. I had all of my race gear with me, so I got my daily workouts in each morning. I decided to actually do a full week taper for this race. I figured the week down there would allow me to adjust to the heat, so I should be prep'ed for the heat in Macon. After the week at the beach we drove up from FL to Macon, got checked in, and headed to the hotel. Derek, Scott, Mandi, Stephanie, Max, and I grabbed a quick bite to eat, and then back to the hotel for final nutrition prep.

I set up my bottles as normal with Carbopro, but then decided to do something a little bit different. I added endurolytes to each bottle thinking the added sodium would aid with the heat. I put two capsules in each bottle, breaking open the pills and emptying the content in each bottle.

The alarms went off, up, showered, dressed, and I started with morning nutrition (power bar, boost, etc.). Then, we headed off to the race site. I set up my transition, and loaded the bottles on the bike. I remember thinking that my aero bottle seemed to be loose, and not sitting right, but did not pay too much attention to it (insert....more to come later on this). Got everything set up, and then started chatting with everyone before going over to the swim start to check out the swim course.

Derek is a Clyde, so he was starting in the wave behind us, so Bryan, Scott, and I lined up getting ready to rock. The elite wave went off three minutes before we did, and then we started to get the count down from 30 seconds. BANG, we were off.

Event warmup:

No warm up. Met up with Derek, Scott, Bryan, and chatted for a bit. Just as my wave was getting into position for the start I saw Tim (guy from the Beast of the East Sprint a couple of weeks ago). We quickly chatted, and wished each other luck.
Swim
  • 40m 27s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim started fine. I came out swinging, and quickly found my rhythm. I was having a great swim based on stroke, glide, breathing, etc. I knew I was keeping a bit wide on the outside, since I could see the washing machine closer to the buoy line on my right. I rounded the buoys tight and pressed on. The swim really was very uneventful, so not much to tell.

I kinda wished they had extra buoys, or smaller buoys between the buoys that were out there. Once you passed one, you would kinda have to swim a bit before you could spot the next. A few extra would have made it a bit easier, IMO. Still, there was enough to navigate by.

On my approach to the finish I got a bit lost thinking the swim exit was where we started. Once I got closer I could see people were exiting more left to the area next to the swim start, so I had to adjust over to that. I know that cost me a bit in time.

Swam until my hand hit the sand, and then popped up and started my run up to T1. Took a time check and saw 39:XX. Damn, that was slow. Most of my training swims have been around the 35 minute mark, so to see an additional four minutes added (because I was swimming wide, vs right down the buoy line) just pissed in my cheerios. Error 1 for the day.

What would you do differently?:

I should have swam much closer to the buoy line, vs swimming wide and adding so much extra.

Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Actually came out of the water in 39:XX, but there was a long run uphill to the mat at T1. Guessing that it took me somewhere in the range of 30-45 seconds to make that run. Anyway, did my normal T1 change, and then out the door to start the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 41m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Made my way out of T1, and to the mount line. Mounted the bike as usual, and started to get strapped in. I got my right foot in, no problem and then started with my left. For whatever reason I was having issues getting my foot into the shoe. Finally did, but the cup of the shoe had folded down, I loosened it to get it to seat properly. As I pulled up on the tongue to loosen, I managed to pull the strap out of the bracket where the strap loops through. Now my foot is seated properly in the shoe, but the strap is completely loose, so as I am riding I am threading the strap back through the metal bracket. I was having such problems with it I thought I might have to stop to get it fixed. Just as I was thinking that, I was able to tread it and strap the shoe down. This entire process took almost an entire mile to correct. 2nd error of the day.

From there, I started to get up to speed, find my gears, and start my nutrition. Right on schedule I started my nutrition, 2.5 mile mark, and realized why it seemed odd the bike was racked odd. I had put the aero bottle in backwards. Thus, instead of my straw being in a perfect position, it was on the other side of the bottle which caused it to be too far forward. This caused me to have to lean forward to drink, slightly compromising my position. The bottle was still function able and would work, but not how I trained. Error number 3.

Nonetheless, I started working my gears. Keeping it steady while trying not to push. From there, the miles started to click off. The first half of the bike was mainly rollers, up/down, up/down, but nothing difficult. At that point I was holding 21.5 mph avg just cruising. I remember hearing/reading that the course always seemed to go up, and I remember thinking that was not my impression at all. More miles clicked off, uneventful. I closed in on an older guy, and blew right past him. As I passed he fussed at me for not calling "on your left". I quickly apologized, since I did not want to be a di*k, but I got to thinking that no one that passes me calls on your left. Come on Buttercup, it is a race not an training ride.

More miles click off, and I found myself all alone. I saw the USAT Official come by, and I was so glad that there was no one in front of me for a potential penalty. At this point the heat is starting to crank. I normally stick to a nutrition plan of one bottle per hour or 20 miles (esh), and I had sucked the first bottle down in 17 miles. I chalked it up to the heat, and better hydration not over thinking it.

I reached the 28-29 mile mark, and passed a guy who had an American Flag strapped to his rear hydration. As I passed I said "love the flag". He replied with a thanks, and good luck. It was at this point that the course started to climb, up & up & up. There were a few downhills, but nothing compared to the ups. Also, from miles 30-40 we were riding into a headwind, so not only were you fighting to climb these long grinder hills (nothing steep, but long gradual climbs that never seemed to end), but I was also fighting the headwind up them. On the few good downhills, I was fighting to get down them. I would fight to hold 27 mph downhill, and if I stopped pedaling to cruise my speed would quickly drop 27, 26, 25, 24, etc, so I decided it was best to keep on the pedals. I passed a guy on one climb and said I am over this headwind, and he replied with "thank God, I thought it was just me". Also, throughout this time I was playing leap frog with another guy. He would pass on the flats, get right in front of me, and then slow down. I would be within the drafting range, so I would have to pick it up to pass him. We did this for a long time, until I finally got frustrated with him knowing he was going to get me a drafting penalty, so I picked it up and was forced to drop him. I am glad I did, since it was not too long after dropping him that the USAT Official came by.

I got to around the 48-50 mile mark, and out of nowhere breaking the golden rule of nothing new on race day came back to bite me. The endurolytes that I had put into my nutrition wanted to come up. So, for the next 3 miles I was dry heaving off the side of the bike. I was dry heaving so hard I thought I would bust blood vessels in my eyes, or black out. Error number 4. I never did throw up, but I so wanted to thinking that would make me feel better. After 3 miles of that, I finally got everything to settle. Shortly, I was rolling back into T2, dismounted and headed for my rack.

I should have been much more mindful of the temperature that day, and eased off the pace to set up the run.

Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Rolled into T2, racked the bike, did my normal T2 with the exception of putting on my Garmin for the run. I had practiced it several times, and was able to throw it on in seconds. Grabbed my race belt/number, and headed for the door.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 55m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Now it is time for the wheels to fall off the bus.

I was still not 100% over the dry heaving, but felt good enough to come out swinging. As I passed Stephanie I looked over at her, and shook my head letting her know this was going to be a tough day. Nonetheless, I blasted out on the run holding 6:30's. I was not feeling great, but I was managing. I thought the course would be a realize flat first two miles (which it was not, again with long little grinders where you always felt like you were running up hill), and then two miles downhill to the first turnaround. I was just hammering the run, feeling like sh*t, but continued to hammer the run. Made the 180 turn, and started my way up the two mile hill. I got a mile up the hill (about mile marker 5) when all of a sudden I felt my race belt fall off. I recently bought several new race number belts to put in my car, Stephanie's car, and my equipment bag since I had forgotten a couple of times. Apparently they changed the design of where you can adjust it vs just being doubled over on itself and attached. I presume the adjustment area had gotten loose and the entire belt just fell off. I had to stop, go back several feet and pick it up. Error number 4.

I never walk aid stations because I find it 1000x harder to get restarted and continue running after I stop. I knew stopping to pick up the race belt had just doomed me. I already was not feeling great, but after stopping and then restarting I felt horrible. I managed another quarter of a mile running until I was reduced to a walk. This was the first time I have ever walked in a race, and I was just crushed by having to do so. It was at this point that I realized how hot it was on the run course....baking. I started to walk, and saw Bryan going the other way. He was kind enough to throw out some words of encouragement "stop walking you pu*sy." After hearing that I started to run again, but I just did not have an answer to this course (still going uphill), and the heat. I started a run/walk schedule, trying my best to run more than I walked but I just could not get restarted. When walking, I was trying to do a fast walk, but I was still walking nonetheless.

Run/walk I went from aid station to aid station. MAJOR props go out to every aid station. I have never seen support like that. They were great. I would call out what I needed, and they would have it ready when I got there. At one point, there was a lady on her cell phone asking what runners needed, via phone, she was telling the next aid station what you needed to make sure they had it ready. I guess around mile 7 or 8 I started grabbing two ice waters, and a coke to see if that would bring me back from the brick of destruction. Nothing I did would restart the engine, so I continued to run/walk my way through hell. I remember around mile marker 10.5 that I was completely ok with just laying down on the pavement and letting Medical pick me up. I wanted to die, and to be honest, I questioned if I had already died and just refused to lay down? I got to mile marker 11, and told myself only two more miles. I started to pick it up, and again I was walking. I got to where there was 1.5 more miles, and at this point I was getting chicked by a strong female runner. So there I am, walking, with two guys and this female running away from me when I snapped. I was so hot, tired, humiliated, angry, and I had have enough. I started running again, and I was going to run to the finish even if it killed me. I was restarted and hammering back to 6:30's. I blew past the two guys, and started reeling in the female. At this point I could see the red/white striped tent at the front of the park, and I pressed the pace harder. There was a nice hill from the road to the park entrance, and that is where I caught/passed the female. Topped the hill, and just opened it up. I was fueled on anger at this point, and just hammered to the finish. Medical asked me if I needed an IV, and I refused. I grabbed a water and stood overlooking the swim course with my head down. I do not have the words to describe how I was feeling at that point, but the closest one I have is disgusted.

I should have been more mindful of my starting pace, and slow down. Instead of starting the run, swinging for the fences, I should have gone out with a moderate pace that I could hold on this course, in this heat, on this day, for 13.1 miles. I honestly think my ego got in the way of being smart. All of my long training runs have been in the low 7's, or sub 7's, so I thought, I can hold, I can hold without any regard to the course I was about to face. I thought nothing about pacing which doomed me, and I paid dearly for it.

Post race
Warm down:

Fluids, fluids, and more fluids. Stephanie came over to check on me, and I told her how bad the run went. She was shocked when I told her I was reduced to a walk. It is what it is, and I learned a valuable lean this day. So many mental errors made this day much tougher than it needed to be.

Anyways, after gathering myself we walked back to where Stephanie & Mandi were sitting/cheering, and waited for everyone to finish. Tim finished up just as we started walking back, and he looked like he had a good day. Shortly, Bryan came in to the finish, and then Scott & Derek. After everyone gathered themselves, we headed to the lake to wash off and cool off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the key lesson learned from this day, was the reinforcement of proper pacing. Pacing goes out the window with sprints & Olys, since they are short enough that you can blow up the pacing and still hold on to the finish. However, with HIM and/or IM's pacing is king. The past year has been nothing but short courses for me, and this was the first race longer than Oly. I think the reinforcement of sprint pacing over the past year was set in my head, vs. flipping the switch to HIM/IM pacing.

Lessons learned:
- Pacing
- Attention to detail with equipment setup
- Again, nothing new on race day (e.g. tweaking with nutrition). Stick with what works, and what has been tested.
- Reschedule vacation for the week after the race, not the week before
- Did I say pacing?

Event comments:

Again, the volunteers made the run on this course. I think their help kept everyone death-marching forward on a very tough day. Plus, the group of three cheering at the third turn-around were hysterical.

The race started on time, and the entire course was very well marked. Even though I blew up on this course, I still rated it a great race. I will have to be back for revenge on this course.

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:27 | 1931 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 65/194
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Large rectangle, swim was clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:41:16 | 56 miles | 20.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 34/194
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: One large loop through the middle of nowhere in Macon. Mainly rollers the first half, and more climbing the second. The second half definitely seemed to be more uphill than anything.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:55:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 37/194
Performance: Bad
Course: Out of the park for four miles, 180 turn, back roughly two miles, and hung a right. This area had two more out & backs, and then another right and two miles to the finish.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-10 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half

2011-06-16 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3542854

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half
Rough day...it was great how you fought to get to the line.  now you know how my races feel!  The throwing up on the bike must have taken strong mental courage to keep moving.   I know you did not like the outcome. However, you had a bad day (which even the pros have thme), but showed your strength in fighting the whole way.   Some times it takes a good beat down to get stronger. 
2011-06-17 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3542854

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half
Your 'off' days are good ones for most of us! I do undertstnd about not having the result you wanted, but some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you. Coincidentally, I put Endurolytes in a drink bottle once and had exactly the same result! Should be a warning label!

Tough course and you finished strong!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half Rss Feed