General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend someone for deep tissue massage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-11 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Recommend someone for deep tissue massage
I'm straight-up crippled from piriformis syndrome. Can't lie down. Can't walk very far. Can't stand up for more than a couple minutes. Can't stretch even a little bit. Can't do any exercise at all. The only thing I can do is sit in a chair. It's pretty serious and all of the usual exercises and stretches for piriformis do nothing or even make it worse.

I'm having trouble getting a doctor's appointment, but they did recommend on the phone that I try deep tissue massage to try to work out the knots or whatever. I don't know who to go to. Does anybody know anyone good in the Madison area? I'm not sure a regular sports massage is appropriate. I want someone who can really smash muscles.

Also if anyone has any experience with this type of problem, how many sessions does it take to make progress?

2011-06-13 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3543879

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Recommend someone for deep tissue massage
Nicole Soper, [email protected].  She knows anatomy very well and works you hard.
2011-06-15 11:36 PM
in reply to: #3543879

Extreme Veteran
WI
Subject: RE: Recommend someone for deep tissue massage

Hi Dave!

I've been in a similar boat since end of April: Pirifomis Syndrome, SI Joint Syndrome, and tight IT band  (all the doc's diagnosis).  It's a bear to heal as I've been set back 3 times now any time I've tried putting a load on my hammy (powerwalking sets me back a few days).  Basically, where my hammy connects to my pelvis is the origin and it radiates through a couple of of the hammys.

Time and rest are healers - so I've learned.

I did go to an ART (Active Release Therapy) practitioner who got me over the initial hump.  Bob Zimmerman (Active Rehab LLC) inside Harbor Athletic Club.  [email protected], but best to call 608-332-8255.  He runs his own office so you don't need a membership to the club.  I'm not sure it's considered deep-tissue massage, but more of a soft-tissue movement therapy.

He'll jab his fingers at the pain points while having you do a movement (in my case moving my leg to stretch the ham while he presses on my sits bone moving down my hammy).  You might be sore for a few days after the first couple of treatments, but after 5 I was done.  It's not a cure-all for me, for some it is, but it was a way to break up scar tissue and get my muscles firing correctly again.  The issues now are more acute and just need time and rest.  You may have better results since you have one issue - you're also younger than me!

Check out: www.activerelease.com

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend someone for deep tissue massage Rss Feed