General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans- How close to follow? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-11 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: Training plans- How close to follow?
I'm training for B2B in Oct as 1st ironman w/goal ~14-15hr.  Done multiple sprints/Oly's & 1st HIM last summer (in 6:24). Been doing endurance cycling for years and did my 1st 4k straight swim a few weeks ago. Run-wise I just finished my 2nd sub-2hr HM of the year, and have run 2 marathons ('09 & '10).  I'm basically following Fink's Be Iron Fit Intermediate plan, but with a dose of MIUAIGA.  For example- I'm swimming 6+kM/wk but sometimes in 3-4 sessions rather than 2 prescribed in Plan.  How much MIUAIGA is too much?  What are the common ways people fail at IM despite putting in those 12-15hr weeks?  I'm asking now 'cause I have ~20wks to mend my ways.

2011-06-12 6:21 AM
in reply to: #3544199

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Training plans- How close to follow?
You need to follow the plan for your biking and running, but it's ok to come up with your own swim plan.

Obviously, we all miss workouts or have to change them because life gets in the way, but you need to do as many as possible.

If you follow Don Fink's plan you will have no trouble finishing.  Your finish time will have more to do with race day execution.
2011-06-12 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3544199

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

My training is largely MIUAIGA, though I do have a general idea what each week will look like, what I should be working on for the week, etc.  On the other hand, if I were following a plan, I think I'd try to stick pretty closely to it.

I would say that reasonable deviations would include moving training sessions, so long as you don't create a situation where you are doing too many key sessions too close together, adding some mileage to a session, so long as your body can handle it, adding in some easy recovery runs or bikes (again, so long as these don't mess up your key sessions), and adding in swims.

Don't do very many straight 4K swims.  You are better off breaking those up into intervals.  One or two straight 4Ks is enough -- you are really just proving to yourself that you can do it more than anything.

Best of luck at B2B!  It's a great race.

(By the way, thanks for your recent comment on my B2B report, which I noticed just the other day -- yes, I drank water exclusively for 2 hours after my first 'mistaken' swallow of Heed.  I think it helped.)

2011-06-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3544433

User image

Master
Central Indiana

brown_dog_us - 2011-06-12 7:21 AM You need to follow the plan for your biking and running, but it's ok to come up with your own swim plan.

Obviously, we all miss workouts or have to change them because life gets in the way, but you need to do as many as possible.

If you follow Don Fink's plan you will have no trouble finishing.  Your finish time will have more to do with race day execution.

Doug & Michael-  THANKS for your thoughts!

Good to hear experienced IM athletes taking a different approach to swim vs Fink's 2 long swims/wk. I'm below ave swimmer & find my stroke sometimes deteriorates at end of long (3+k) session.  Physically I can do more than 3k, but am afraid I risk ingraining bad habits.  I think my peak form (sorry as it is) is only good for ~1mi at this point.

My normal summer riding will have me well above Fink plan time investments.  Run will likely be at or above plan, too.  On basically no taper I ran PR HM 2d ago then rode 83mi yest which included 50mi spirited group ride with multiple hard long pulls (z3-4 HR into 15mph wind).  My R hamstring is not happy today so I'll rest (Mon is Fink Rest Day anyway).  I really need to dial back & follow the Plan's intensity levels (mainly Z1-2).  Still 19+ weeks to go.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans- How close to follow? Rss Feed