General Discussion Race Reports! » Wendy's International Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wendy's International Triathlon and Duathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Ultra-Fit
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 34s
Overall Rank = 46/508
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:18. Alarm was supposed to go off at 5:00. Rush out the door, grabbed coffee at Tim Horton's and a whole grain bagel. Drank water on the way. Setup my transition area, pumped up my tires and noticed a leak. Had to change a tube in the TA, but was ready to go on time.
Event warmup:

Swam about 250 yards or so then treaded water waiting for the race to start.
Swim
  • 13m 28s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my second tri and it was much better than the first. I told myself to ignore the fact that I was in a race and resist the urge to push myself in the swim as I tend to do in the bike and run. I just remained calm and relaxed the whole swim. Didn't stop at all and felt great the whole way. Since the water is probably on about 4-5 ft deep along part of the course, I had to site often to avoid people walking from the earlier waves, which was a surprise.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go a little harder, but I don't want to push too hard in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Came into T1, wetsuit off, helmet, glasses on, I put the race belt and number on in T1 fiddling with that cost me a few seconds. Grabbed my bike and saw a lot of traffic coming my way, so I jumped in front of it real quick as not to get caught behind that in the TA.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 48m 25s
  • 17 miles
  • 21.07 mile/hr
Comments:

This race was a bit congested on the bike as a lot of people did this race. I pushed myself really hard on this and it shows with my average speed being strong. Great day for biking since it wasn't too hot. I didn't even go through all my fluids. Took a Gu at the 12 mile mark and that seemed to help me sustain my effort. I took one turn too wide and ended up going into the gravel, but stayed calm and recovered. I don't think I was ready for that last hill, I slowed down heavily there. I also think I took my feet out of the shoes a bit too early as I didn't capitalize on the last hill into the parking lot.

Wait a little longer before taking my feet out of my shoes. More hill practice.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Nothing to write home about here, helmet glasses off, socks on, shoes on, hat on, take off. . I tried to get a quick drink out of one of my water bottles and that toko me 10 seconds cause I had to open it and then the top popped off spilling water everywhere, I gave up and ran out.
Run
  • 22m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty easy run. Up hill on the trail on the way out meant downhill on the way back. I love the big puddle on the trail you couldn't get around (I thought the warrior dash was last weekend). I plowed through the puddle while everyone else was trying to go around it. Kicked it in at the finish. It was pretty cool with all of the people lining the finish line. Gave me an extra kick.

I need to focus more on running like I was in the first half of the year. I should be doing sub 22 on a 5K. I am going to focus on speed work for the next month.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked up the step to grab some food and then stretch, but I ran into some people I knew so I talked with them and never really got around to stretching (which explains why I am sore this morning).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just more speedwork for the bike and run. I PR'd everything from my first tri, so I can't argue with it.

Event comments:

Great race, a great vibe with all of the spectators. I feel pretty good with my results and I am trying to figure out if I how I can possibly improve and PR everything in the next race. I guess I need to get some speed work in between now and then.

Last updated: 2011-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:28 | 880 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/50
Overall: 76/508
Performance: Good
(Official timing didn't catch my entry into T1, so numbers are from my watch and rankings are derived based on those times).
Suit: Yes
Course: Straight line along the shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:25 | 17 miles | 21.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/50
Overall: 52/508
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Loop on decent roads
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:47 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/50
Overall: 72/508
Performance: Average
Course: out and back gravel and grass for 70%, a bit of pavement on the dam.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 7:02 AM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Wendy's International Triathlon and Duathlon

2011-06-14 12:06 AM
in reply to: #3545571

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: Wendy's International Triathlon and Duathlon

stellar race.

what!? you put socks on and messd with your water bottle in T2 and still came out in 1:00 - cool

i too splashed through the puddle. the only right way to do it.

2011-06-15 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3545571

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: RE: Wendy's International Triathlon and Duathlon

Thanks Brue.  I think the 10-15 seconds lost putting on socks is worth the lack of blisters, sore feet, or really stinky running shoes.    

Look forward to maybe meeting you at an upcoming race.

-Kevin 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wendy's International Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed