General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first tri is in the books! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-13 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: My first tri is in the books!

Well yesterday I did my first tri and to say the least I'm absolutely hooked...and that's not a good thing...it's going to be an expensive thing! It was a sprint.  500yd/12/3.25

I've done plenty of other races/events before and usually get the butterfly feeling about 5 minutes before...doesn't matter if I've done the event 5x.  Well this was different, I was nervous the night before.  The main reason for my nervousness was the swimming, like most people.

I was part of the first wave and no intention of being a speed demon out to the front I lingered in the back to make sure I was comfortable and went my pace.  Started off ok...was choppier than I had ever swam so I started taking on water and lost my comfort zone rather quickly.  Got back into it and started going...before I knew it I was catching people and fighting for space...getting my fingers kicked and head smacked...so I backed off and let people go as it made me disorientated. I got out of the water and felt wobbly...very weird sensation going from sea to land and in a hurry! Took about 50ft to figure out what in the world was going on...but I knew the worst part of the race was behind me.

T1 took a little longer than it should have but I wanted to make sure I was prepped for the bike.  Jumped on the bike and started picking off all those skinny people that swim like dolphins.  Peaked at 42mph and avg speed was 20mph.  Was very pleased with the bike portion of it...as this is where my strength is.

T2...in and out nice and quick.  Could have chopped off probably 25 seconds looking for something and being cut off by a cyclist in the transition area.

The run was fun...it was part trail...maybe half or so with a couple steep inclines/declines.  Had a hard time telling how far you had gone and I couldn't find the strap for my HRM so I didn't have my watch on me.

My complete time was 1:18:08 and I'm excited about that.  For my first tri I think I did ok and I know my effort level was there...so what more could I complain about!

I can't wait for the next one...that I do know!

2011-06-13 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3546446

Regular
Subject: RE: My first tri is in the books!
Congratulations!  It is a great feeling, isn't it? 
2011-06-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3546446

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: My first tri is in the books!
Great Job man and Congrats!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first tri is in the books! Rss Feed