United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 17m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I wasn't really treating this like a race as much as a training day for IM. I was trying almost everything out especially nutrition. The main goal today was to nail nutrition. Woke up, ate my oatmeal with all the goodies I added to it, then I ate a power bar an hour before the swim. I ended up chipping my tooth on this power bar. I ended up playing with the chipped area throughout the ENTIRE race. ha ha It kept me busy.
Event warmup:

Absolutely no warm up. Chatting with folks while I waiting for my wave to go off.
Swim
  • 52m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Up until the first turn buoy if you would have asked me how I was doing I would have told you I was cruising. Either I was up until that point or it was just me thinking that. I was trying out some new adjustments to my stroke. It's possible that it did make me go faster in the beginning and I simply tired out. Who knows. I'm a lousy swimmer; HOWEVER, I got out of the water with energy. That's good. Usually I'm a teensy bit tired when I get out - nothing serious but I'm usually a bit fatigued.
What would you do differently?:

I'm working on getting technique nailed down. I just gotta practice :-)
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I thought this was pretty swift. I usually have fairly decent transitions. I will work on speedy transitions when it's what is making or breaking a goal :-)

nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I may have went to hard for my goal of the day. However, I felt okay. Around mile 20 my leg was bothering me a little. I think it was because I was in a too easy of a gear into the wind. Changed gears and it went away but not after about 10 miles of me trying to figure out what it was. I'm not sure how everyone else felt but I felt like I was getting a headwind the entire time. Absolutely no tailwind. This is where I really tried to focus on nutrition. I felt I did well but I need to work on accessing my nutrition. I was a mess in that sense.

I'm not sure. I can't really complain about a bike pr with untapered legs.
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Same as above.
Run
  • 2h 25m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal here was to run from aid station to aid station and walking for one minute tops at each aid station. I didn't taper for this am currently training for IM and 100 miler so I kind of wanted my legs a little tired. For the first two miles I thought "gosh, this isn't going to be good," but once I got my legs under me I was running strong - slow, but strong. This was by far the best I've felt on a 1/2IM run.

I have to figure it out. I don't think I nailed nutrition but I did MUCH better than I ever have as far as drinking and taking in some calories. My legs (shorts) were white with salt. I have to figure that out. I kind of felt my left leg may have been very close to cramping - they may have something to do with one another. All in all it was a solid training day for me, I think. I wasn't tired after the race nor was I stiff or sore the next day. I got to see a few of my friends on the course which is always nice.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really. Drank some water and ate some food while I waited for everyone to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

um, probably that I didn't taper for this. If I had rested a bit I think my performance would have been better. I'm happy with it, and it was nice to focus on other things aside from getting a good time or a pr. It was fun.

Event comments:

As usual, the event itself is top notch and very hot. It wasn't as hot as previous years but still very hot.

Last updated: 2010-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:02 | 2112 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: One big loop with the buoys to my right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:46 | 56 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:25:36 | 13.1 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back with nothing to really look at :-)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: SUBARU EAGLEMAN IRONMAN 70.3

2011-06-16 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3546909

User image

Subject: RE: SUBARU EAGLEMAN IRONMAN 70.3
I agree that the wind on the bike always felt like it was in my face. And, my shorts were covered with salt, too!....Great job taking a half hour off of last year's time!!!!!
2011-06-18 5:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-20 6:48 PM

Veteran
The wind was weird on this course, at one point I saw a flag blowing one direction then around the corner 5 minutes later I saw another flag blowing in the oppistie direction...
2011-06-21 10:23 AM

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Looks like an awesome bike split!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SUBARU EAGLEMAN IRONMAN 70.3 Rss Feed