South Maui Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 52s
Overall Rank = 154/273
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/28
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:00 AM to drink breakfast smoothie, then went back to bed and dozed until 4:00 AM. Transition bag and after-race bag packed the night before, so all I had to do was prep my water bottles, pour a cup of coffee and head out the door.
Event warmup:

Had planned to do a light swim warm up, but lines at the porta-potties were too long and there weren't enough of them near the swim start for those of us who needed a last-minute stop.
Swim
  • 34m 18s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got an open, inside position at the front of the pack to start. We were swimming against a fairly strong current to the first buoy and a few swimmers passed me. I got pushed inside the first buoy by the current and had to come back out and swim around not to miss it. From B1 to B2 we were swimming sideways to the mild swell, so I felt a little seasick but pushed through it. I tried to keep a fairly straight line to B2 and B3, and sighted more. There were a lot of swimmers crossing back and forth. After B3 and into shore I accelerated a bit for a stronger finish. PR'd the swim by 6 mins.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more to the first buoy, especially with the stronger current. Push a little harder. Consider tinted goggles for next year - coming around B3 was directly into the sun to shore.
Transition 1
  • 06m 18s
Comments:

It's a fairly long, uphill run from the beach to T1, but I jogged the whole way.

Have not mastered the "leaving the shoes on the bike method" yet, but was relatively happy with T1 time. Wasted a little time in conversation with a rack-mate - she and I were making sure we both had everything. Had extra squirt bottle to rinse salt off face and sand off feet. Slipped on cycling shoes (no socks!) popped a shot blok and took off.

The transition area was twice as large as last year, so everyone's time was longer.

Cut open the %!*&$ package of shot bloks! Remember its a race and time chatting in T1 can cost you a place or two!
Bike
  • 1h 32m 14s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.17 mile/hr
Comments:

PR'd on the bike by 18 minutes from last year. I felt good, the weather was cool, so I went for it. I passed a lot of people on the bike this year which felt great because everyone was passing ME last year. The bike fit me very well and I was comfortable in and out of aero.

More road bike riding and more hill training in preparation for the race. I made a couple of gearing mistakes that may have cost me some time. Build skills to stay aero longer and build confidence to take downhills faster. Considering I was riding a borrowed road bike I had only been riding for 3 weeks I'm very happy with my bike performance.
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Again, because the transition area was larger, T2 times were longer for everyone as well. Easy to slip off cycling shoes and slip on Zoot racers without dealing with socks.

I might have saved a little time if I could have slipped the shoes off on the bike.
Run
  • 1h 08m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a little slow at the start, but once I hit the first two hills I felt a lot better so I picked up the pace. Took sponges at all aid stations to stay cool, but did not need to drink at every one. Only drank when I was thirsty.PR'd the run by about 16 minutes!

Run volume was very low and slow this winter after recovering from injury last fall. More run training should bring run to sub-1 hour.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, water, and orange and a banana. Big healthy breakfast post-race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Low training volume over the winter and missing two critical peak weeks of training prior to the race because I thought I wasn't going to be racing this year.

I estimated a 3:20 finish, so was happy to come in at 3:24 with the minimal training I had coming into it.

Event comments:

Lots of cheering volunteers, everyone had a great attitude and was helpful and friendly.

I love this race and plan to come in under 3 hours next year!

Last updated: 2011-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:18 | 1500 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/28
Overall: 203/273
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot trisuit
Course: One counter-clockwise loop.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:14 | 24.85 miles | 16.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/28
Overall: 155/273
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Loop through Wailea/Makena, up two STEEP hills, then out and back on rolling highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:50 | 06.21 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 146/273
Performance: Average
Course: Very hilly, hot out-and-back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes