Greeley Triathlon Club
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 8s
Overall Rank = 32/226
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

We arrived at the race very early as we were only about a 10 minute drive. We had an excellent choice of spots for transition and I selected a spot right on the end and next to the median with plenty of space to move about. After dropping our stuff off, there were numerous trips to the port o potties (hydration was not an issue). Then we watched several of the youth and junior race starts. By the time we stepped into the water, nearly 2 1/2 hours had passed.
Swim
  • 08m 45s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

My best OWS in a triathlon. I really enjoy this aspect of the race. It's just so different from anything I've ever done before.
What would you do differently?:

I feel great about how I did with this and I'm stunned that I did this well in my age group!
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Transitions still plague me a little bit. My goal was to really improve these, but I don't think I've made a lot of progress. I would like to be through transition in less than a minute, but that didn't happen. I probably need to emphasize it more as an aspect of my practice. I'm not sure if it will continue to be such an issue as I move into the Olympic distance. I think I'd take something between 60-90 seconds in that case.

Practice transitions a little more.
Bike
  • 30m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was a little harder than I anticipated and I felt like I was giving everything I had on it. I didn't try to really push beyond that because I wanted to have something in the tank for the run at the end. I'd hope to average above 20mph, but it just wasn't happening on this course.

I need to ride more! I'm still not putting the miles in to be 100% comfortable and confident in the saddle. That will be a big goal in the coming weeks!
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

My speed laces are a little small which makes it difficult to get the shoes on even when they are fully loosed. I plan on getting some new tri shoes in the coming month, so hopefully that problem will be eliminated.

Being able to get my shoes on faster would have probably saved me 20-30 seconds in T2. Again this is just something I haven't practiced enough. I will continue to work on this.
Run
  • 21m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Running continues to be my dominant sport of the three. I was a full minute faster than anyone else in my age group. I'll take that. I know with a little more conditioning and strength in the bike, I can even improve on that. Something I'll continue to try and do!

Nothing. I felt great about how I did on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing..

Event comments:

This is a really well-organized race and I will likely add it to my annual race calendar. It's a great location, and a great course. The delays in the start were done to clear the bike course and as a safety matter, completely acceptable.

Last updated: 2011-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:45 | 547 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 0/226
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: The course was in a small lake and very easy to navigate. This was by far my best OWS ever. I was very pleased with my sighting, pace, etc.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:10 | 10 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 0/226
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A little hilly, but not terrible. There was a pretty good mixture. I think the ride was more difficult than I'd anticipated.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:50 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 19/226
Course: The course is mostly out and back and it's kind of neat because you can see a lot of the other racers on the course. The course is well marked and easy to follow. Reminded me a bit of a cross-country route, minus the trails, grass, etc. The finish was under a giant inflatable gorilla, which was the coolest thing ever!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes