United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 44s
Overall Rank = 1023/9782
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 105/815
Pre-race routine:

Drove from East Liverpool to Logan and go to the race site about 2 hours before my wave. Hung out and watch people finishing up the last few obstacles
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 32m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I had heard going in that the 1st 1.5 miles was basically uphill but I was not really expecting it to be that bad. At the gun I took off through the field and just tried to maintain a good pace. At first I was wondering where the hills were? Well I found them quickly. I will say the "Battleground" map online was not the same as the course and I don't remember the exact order not that it would have helped. Plus all the obstacle were basically lumped together with fairly decent runs in between. There were also no marking as to how far in you were. I believe the first obstacle involved jumping over a 3 foot wall and then crawling under a log and then repeating the process. Next involved running through hanging tires. Neither of these were all that difficult or dirty. Next involved juming into "waist deep" (I think they measured on Manute Bol because the water came to my chin) stinky, nast water and pushing down 4 or 5 telephone pools in about 50 yards. Also along the way were ropes you had to manuever through and a tunnel that required crawling over rocks and dirt, A 15 ft cargo net, a 15 foot straigh wall, walking planks and a quick run down a waist deep river. Finally I could hear the finish line. Only 2 more obstactle. The leap over two rows of fire logs and then the jum into the barbed wire covered mud pit.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder and just
Post race
Warm down:

Got hosed off by freezing cold water

Event comments:

This was a fun race and I would definately do again if it was closer. Definately the hardest 5K I have ever run.

Last updated: 2011-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:44 | 03.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 105/815
Overall: 1023/9782
Performance: Good
Course: The course was run on a motocross track that had been run on by 15K people before me and received a good night soaking. Steep uphills and downhills and 12+ obstacles made for "3.1 Hellish Miles".
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes