United States
SheROX Triathlon Series
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 54s
Overall Rank = 1306/1469
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 115/124
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3ish, breakfast of egg, turkey sausage and a few gulps of coffee. Packed a bagel w/ peanut butter for later, ate it while watching the elites start. Left the city at 4:20, got into transition at 5:20 and we totally beat the rush.
Event warmup:

Setting up was really easy, I am pretty sure I did everything exactly the most efficient way possible. The waves started oldest to youngest, with the elites, relay, and ovarian cancer survivor waves going first, so we got to cool our heels for a while. Warmed up in the “pool” which was awesome- the water was actually warmer than the ambient temperature. Then we got out and tried to warm up again while we cheered on the starters. My wave didn’t start until 8:30, ugh, the nerves!
Swim
  • 22m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

After swimming 1/3 of the course to warm up earlier, I felt a LOT better about the swim than I did this past week. I was a wreck. I’d never swam 800 meters in one shot before, and I’m very new to swimming (started in February). The awesome part is that this race has “swim buddies” who are volunteers who will stay alongside you and coach you through the whole swim course, so I grabbed a nice lady (Georgie was her name? I can’t remember!) and she stayed with me. I really surprised myself by only take a few quick breaks to get my bearings after the next wave kept running into me, and after I kept running into the course markers. I was slow, but much steadier than I expected- I finished at 22:50 and did the crawl almost the whole time.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim faster! I really did a lot better than I thought I would here though.
Transition 1
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

My rack was over by the swim-in which was ok, but that meant I had to run my bike even further to/from the bike in/out. Meh. I also was totally done by the time the swim was over- I was exhausted and just wanted to stop. I did get a bit lost over in my racks because I went down the wrong aisle, but it didn’t take long to get over the “OMG SOMEONE STOLE MY BIKE!” freak-out and actually find it. Slipped on my helmet, sunglasses, sock and running shoes (thank you bungee laces!)

Realize there was more than one entrance to the racks
Bike
  • 59m 48s
  • 14.17 miles
  • 14.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I don’t actually ride this bike much. Or at all, rather. And none of the spin bikes I train on have computers so I had no idea what to expect here. I can’t stop thinking about how much having tractor tires slowed me down, but oh well. The course was through a residential area in the suburbs, with one short stretch on a major road. It was relatively flat with some inclines, enough to mess around with my gears but not totally wear me out. The only obnoxious part really were the people riding side by side, or hanging out right in the middle of the road. I had to do more aggressive passing than I wanted but there were some people I was just scared to ride behind because they weren’t following rules or riding straight, etc. Everything felt good though, I nibbled on a Clif bar, drank some G2, blah blah. It was tiring, but I didn’t wear myself out. I was too afraid to!

Get the tires changed, maybe a different handlebar setup so I have more hand placement options- they were getting a little sore during the second lap.
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Much easier (still had to walk the bike super far though.) Off with the helmet, grabbed my race belt and hat and out I went!

Maybe jog faster with the bike, but whatever.
Run
  • 39m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Miserable. I knew I wasn’t going to PR my 5K time on this, but I was hoping to come close to my average 36 min. I’m really comfortable with bike/run bricks, but not this one. I’m still trying to figure out what it was, but I was having awful upper abdominal cramps, like right under my bra band. It could’ve been the Clif bar (which I nibbled on mile 3 during the bike, but only like 2 bites), or too much water, or my breathing, or the bra band… who knows. It sucked. I slogged for a few minutes and then walked. Slog, walk, repeat. It wasn’t until just after the first mile that I was able to actually run without stopping. Oh well. Everything else felt fine- well, except for my left should which has been tightening up during runs. No idea what’s causing this. The best part of this run was probably the scenery- it was near a park on the river, so a mix of paths through trees, along the river, through neighborhoods.. very nice.

Don't wear a new sportsbra.
Post race
Warm down:

PUT ON MY MEDAL! Oh my goodness, I have never ever received a medal for anything, let alone a psychical activity!!!! Grabbed water, a banana, pounded those, then found my friend over in the raffle/awards ceremony. I finished pretty close to last I think, so there wasn’t much going on at that point.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My newness to swimming, my bike not designed for the sport, and the weird upper stomach cramps/pain during the run.

Event comments:

I would do this again in a heartbeat. Easy peasy for a first timer, very supportive environment.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:50 | 820 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/124
Overall: 0/1469
Performance: Good
Suit: Bike shorts & tank
Course: Zig-zag through a large outdoor "pool"/quarry. Deep end was 15'
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:48 | 14.17 miles | 14.22 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps, mostly flat through residential suburbs. Enough inclines to change gears.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:32 | 03.11 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Couldn't get my HRM to work up until the run, and it stayed around 160-165 (unless I was walking)
Course: Most flat through residential streets, sidewalks, and park trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes