General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Wisconsin vs. World Championships 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-06-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3552702

Regular
Annapolis, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin vs. World Championships 70.3
ChrisM - 2011-06-16 2:15 PM
tripadigin - 2011-06-16 11:07 AM
ChrisM - 2011-06-16 2:01 PM

bryancd - 2011-06-16 10:44 AM
tripadigin - 2011-06-16 11:27 AM Who was the pro one year at Kona that couldn't run anymore due to injury (Rutger Beke perhaps).  Instead of quitting he continued walking.  His reasoning was he didn't want to disrespect the slot that he had by quitting...a slot that could have gone to someone else.  He earned huge points in my book for this and from the IM tri community
Rutger Beke 2007, I ran by him as he was walking in the Energy Lab. I was very impressed as a pro he felt it was improtant to finish the race and I respect that, BUT, I don't cling to some excessively romanticized concept of what IRONMAN "means" and if it should be "respected". It's just a race.

Rutger Beke walked because he had taken an AGer's slot?  I didn't know that.......I though he was racing as a pro

A pro slot not AG...the correlation is still relevant.

OK.  If you say so.  Although I thought this whole brouhaha was due to the bad form of an AGer signing up for a limited spot and taking away from another AGer who couldn't get in.....   I applaud Beke's resolve to continue, but that's not why he did....

For those just tuning in, you can ignore the prior 3 pages as I can summarize this thread thusly:

"Chocolate ice cream > vanilla ice cream

No it's not, vanilla ice cream > chocolate ice cream

You disrespect the work in collecting cocoa beans

I don't get your point"

Some people would prefer to participate in WCs 70.3 over an IM.  Some people would prefer to participate in IM over WCs 70.3.  Neither is wrong.  Neither is right.

I certainly can't qualify for WCs 70.3 at my HIM times.  They may roll down some, but not to where I am.  I can pretty much enter any IM in the world that I want to, including NY today.  There's lots of ways to get into IM that don't require sitting in front of a computer.

According to Beke interviews, that is why he continued.

Duly noted on the ice cream comparison.

Lots of ways to get in, but if you are on a budget, sitting at the computer for the general entry slot is cheapest.

Edited by tripadigin 2011-06-16 1:26 PM

2011-06-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3552725

As the OP, I think we have beaten this horse to death.  Thanks to all.  What I have learned:

If I buy vanilla ice cream, I should eat all of it so that I don't offend other people who didn't have the opportunity to buy vanilla ice cream.  However, if I have a craving for chocolate ice cream and there is a limited supply of chocolate ice cream, but I have already purchased vanilla ice cream, then I should eat all of the vanilla ice cream first and then see if there happens to be any chocolate left.  Maybe I should just go for neapolitan ice cream next time.  I'm so confused.

2011-06-16 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3552767

Regular
Annapolis, MD
Snyderman - 2011-06-16 2:47 PM

As the OP, I think we have beaten this horse to death.  Thanks to all.  What I have learned:

If I buy vanilla ice cream, I should eat all of it so that I don't offend other people who didn't have the opportunity to buy vanilla ice cream.  However, if I have a craving for chocolate ice cream and there is a limited supply of chocolate ice cream, but I have already purchased vanilla ice cream, then I should eat all of the vanilla ice cream first and then see if there happens to be any chocolate left.  Maybe I should just go for neapolitan ice cream next time.  I'm so confused.

I've enjoyed the debate...hoping my words were not too harsh...if so, I apologize.  Whatever you choose, have a great race.

2011-06-16 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3552767

User image

Snyderman - 2011-06-16 11:47 AM

You are going to be one fat triathlete

2011-06-16 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3552895

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
ChrisM - 2011-06-16 2:39 PM

There's a blog for that...

2011-06-16 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3553251

User image

AndrewMT - 2011-06-16 4:01 PM

shhhhhhhh  (at least on that other board)

2011-06-16 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3548136

I believe a better question to ask is why in the grand wisdom of the WTC would they move the WC 70.3 to a already and mind you very popular ironman date. I understand the reasons for the venue change and even understand the change in time of the year but I believe they could have found a better date that would not conflict with one of  North America's most popular ironman venues- Wisconsin, just my two cents! Either way the WTC is making their money. 
2011-06-16 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3553253

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
ChrisM - 2011-06-16 6:04 PM
AndrewMT - 2011-06-16 4:01 PM

shhhhhhhh  (at least on that other board)

Innocent

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Wisconsin vs. World Championships 70.3 Rss Feed  

of 4