Hurricane, Utah
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
Total Time = 2h 55m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5. Breakfast was applesauce & bagel with peatnut better washed down with gatorade. Nutrition plan was a gel half hour before swim. On the bike I packed two bottles - 1 water, 1 strawberry hammer nutrition eletroyles drink and a gel bottle (200 calories). On the run it was a powerbar gel.

I got to the lake around 6:30 and tried to get the official, to let me in the parking area, but wasn't going to happen. So I park about a half mile away and biked it in. I wanted to be early to get a end rack. I was in T1 at 6:50 (was told transition open at 7:00) and there were two bikes in my asign area oh ready. Oh well I got the third best area right in the middle.
Event warmup:

So I had a hour and a half to kill and I forgot my ipod in the car that was a half mile away. So I walked around transition, chatted with couple tri buddies, and sat at a bench. Half hour before my swim, I had a gel. Got my wetsuit on and checked transition to asure everything was good. Then off to the swim. I got in before my wave and swam about 100 yards to warm up.
Swim
  • 29m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have done two other oly distance tri and both were point to point swim. I have never done a two lap swim. It sucks!!! I had hope to swim much faster than my time, but I didn't have it that day. I started off fast and I felt like I had a good pace, but after the first bouy, I knew I went out too fast. I slowed it down and found some legs to draft on. On the last turn I saw a fellow tri buddy that I usually can beat in the swim. I was a little bummed that he was up with me or me up with him. So I knew my swim wasn't going to be good. I picked up the pace on the final turn as I as wanted to beat him. There was one positive aspect about the swim which was that I came up and I wasn't tired. I ran in to transition and wasn't winded!!
What would you do differently?:

I had swam at alot of interval swimming at the beginning of the year and focused alot of speed work in 50s & 100s. I totally disregard my long swim. I need to do my 200s and higher.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I felt good running into transition. Wasn't tired or out of breath. The suit come off easy, shoes on, glasses on, helmet on, grabbed the bike and I was off. I keep on thinking I was forgetting something. Always over thinking things. I ended up having the fastest transition time in my division.

Getting faster.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 18s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 14.85 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy with my bike race. The good - I went up the hill pretty easy (I dont remember it being that bad). I got passed alot, but I was able to pass a couple of people as well. My legs never burned or got tired. I finished about 2/3 of both my bottles and finish off my gel bottle. I biked my race and did not get carried away with the other bikers. I felt strong coming in. The bad - I have done this course serveral times now (I guess thats good) but last week I rode the full course and clocked in a minutes faster than this race. Looking at the results in my division, I'm still in the BOP. I hadhoped with all the training I did during the winter, I would be much faster.

Just bike more. Lose more weight.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I came in and racked the bike, helmet off, shoes off, socks on. I started to cramp a little in the ab area. I got the other sock on. Then the shoes,I grab my visor & race belt. I had to take garmin watch off bike. Off I went.

Need to get a separate bike computer (garmin edge). Also I need to take another towel to use while I'm puting my sock on. As I ended up having some gravel in my sock. I was able to run with in, but for a long run I would have taken my time to assure that my feet were clean.
Run
  • 1h 06m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I started with a cramp in my abs for the first 1/4 mile and it went away. I had hoped to run under one hour, but it wasn't going to happen. I got into a groove and kept myself positive about the run as I was getting tired. I caught up with a tri buddy a little over a mile in. We chatted for awhile. His pace was a little slow, so I passed him. I knew he was about to turn around because he was doing the sprint distance. One of the negative thoughts I had was that I would one day have to do a half marathon in 1/2 ironman distance. Thinking about yhis made me worried. I pushed that thought away and focused on this race. At mile 2, I decided to take my powerbar gel. I dont know if it helped or if it was the downhill I was running, but I felt good from mile 2-3. At the turnaround, I know I had a up hill that I had to battle. Knowing that I was half done, I picked up the paced. I passed a couple of people, which boosted my confidence, even though they were walking. It was getting hot and I had taken a cup of water at every station, but decided not to have any on the last two stations. I pushed to the end and I was stilling smiling.

Next time at the last water station or any station I chose not to drink, I should maybe take a walk and pour the water on my head and to keep me cool. I saw a runner do this at the last station and I thought that was the smartest thing I had ever seen. :) You always learn something at a race.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and had more water & some oranges. I passed on the banana & bagels.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My body weight.

Event comments:

Last year was the first time I did stg tri (sprint distance) and I loved it. I gave it my all and I walked in pain for a whole week. This year I moved up to oly distance and I gave it my all and I walk proud and strong this year. No frankinstein walk for me!
I still have a issue hregarding having to park outside of the park and then having to be shuttle in. Especially when I see tons of parking in the parking alot. That why I gave this race a 4 instead of a 5.

Last updated: 2010-11-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:58 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: In the water start with a two loop diamond shape course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:18 | 18.64 miles | 14.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/13
Wind:
Course: Out and back. Couple rof ollers. On a major hill, I a saw couple of newbies walking up.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:40 | 06.21 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Course: Out and back. Same course as the bike.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes