General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum 2 Mile Pier to Pier Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dwight Crum 2 Mile Pier to Pier Swim - Swim

View Member's Race Log
Hermosa Beach, California
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m 8s
Overall Rank = 213/692
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/77
Pre-race routine:

It's a late start, so sleep in and go to Starbucks :)
Event warmup:

SOme stretching, light running, quick dip in the ocean
Swim
  • 1h 03m 8s
  • 3520 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

After hearing horror stories of falling in the surf line and getting trampled, I started way left. Too far left. Had to swim over folks to get to the pier in a straight line. Sorry folks. Didn't hurt anyone though.

I enjoy the mass starts. Must be my water polo background. Survival of the fittest and all. There's two places being 6'2" and 230 pounds is a real benefit. Asia and mass swim starts. I know that if people crowd me they're simply going to bounce off. :) I did lock arms with a few people, got a mild kick to the cheek, a hand on my ass. All in good fun.

Found someone to draft off of for about 1/4 mile, then felt like the line was too far out, so found someone else. Ended up on my own near the end, looked like people were out further. Wonder if I got more caught in a nearshore current.

About 500 yards to go to the pier, orange cap dude swims right across my bow. I see him ont he right, stopping and sighting. seconds later, he's swimming over my feet. Dude, come on.,,,,,,,, yes, he is shortly swimming at an angle right for my head. I have to admit raising the elbows a little higher to block him from cutting me off again.

At this point there was a lifeguard on a surfboard tracking me from the right. I kept wondering what I looked like to have a lifeguard paying such close attention to me.

Rounding the pier, a girl came smoking around my left side. I picked up the draft for a couple hundred yards but couldn't hold on. Finished one spot behind her. As we exited the water, before hitting the timing mat, there were volunteers telling us to slow down. .... wtf????

Looked up at the clock when I stood up from the water. 1:02. Shit. Ah well, there's always next year.

The distance is more than two miles. I was swimming at my pace, which is about 1:20/100. This is way more than that. I'd say 2.2 miles
What would you do differently?:

Follow the wisdom of the crowd more and head outside.
Post race
Warm down:

mope, whine, complain. Actually, not, I was much more accepting of it right afterwards than I am now :)

Last updated: 2005-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:03:08 | 3520 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/77
Overall: 213/692
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: Hermosa Pier to Manhattan Pier
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 5:57 PM

User image

Subject: Dwight Crum 2 Mile Pier to Pier Swim

2005-08-29 9:38 PM
in reply to: #236920

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Dwight Crum 2 Mile Pier to Pier Swim

Heehee...my 2 mile swim was short.  I'll take your extra 0.2

Great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum 2 Mile Pier to Pier Swim Rss Feed