RM Events Management
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 10m 4s
Overall Rank = 23/472
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/43
Pre-race routine:

This race brings out the best in Western Canada, and I was curious to see how I'd stack up against the best of the best.

Leading to race day I had taken the week fairly easy. A couple easy runs on Tuesday, Thursday plus a couple swims and the Wednesday Night Race plus a commute. I'd guess my running legs were 95% there, but not quite 100% recovered from the Half Marathon two weeks prior.

Breakfast was not great. I had a coffee, cherry turnover and a Power Bar...that's it. But I didn't have a lot prepared for it.
Event warmup:

I went for a quick spin on the bike for 5 minutes, plus another 5 minutes in the water. I swam back to shore with literally 30 seconds left before the gun went off.
Swim
  • 26m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was kind of run over within the first 5 seconds, but after that it was smooth swimming. It was likely the least contact I've experienced at a race. I started into a nice rhythm and did my thing. I passed a bunch of people that went out too hard after 200m and found myself in some open water area. After the turn I grabbed on to some feet and stayed in the draft until the end. The swim time includes a long run up to T1. My actual swimming would have been around 25:30, I'm sure.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep improving at swimming. I think the lack of contact was for a few reasons, one of them being that I wasn't swimming with all the hack and thrashers that are in the 28-30m range.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Just guessing on the T1 time by extrapolating my Garmin bike time (1:02:42) and my officially listed bike time (1:04:53).
Bike
  • 1h 02m 42s
  • 40 kms
  • 38.28 km/hr
Comments:

I blew out of T1 and was on the bike quick. I passed a bunch of people right off the bat and then slowly picked guys off one-by-one. It was new pavement and the course was non-technical: straight and flat. There was a slight headwind for kms 6-22, plus some rollers that keep you honest. I didn't have to leave my big ring though and really pushed it for most of the ride. I was passed by just one guy with a few kms left to go.

I pretty much guessed my bike split would be around this time. I think I executed it to the best of my abilities, although I probably should have consumed a few more calories.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Just guessing on the T2 time by extrapolating my Garmin bike time (1:02:42) and my officially listed bike time (1:04:53).
Run
  • 39m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I was running 'blind' here. No Garmin so no HR data, no pacing data, no kms splits. It was just me and my brain keeping things in check.

I screamed out of T2 like a rocket and quickly passed 5 more people, including the 1 guy who passed me on the bike. I knew I was working hard and needed to settle down. It wasn't until about 3k in where I feel like I settled into my running pace and calmed myself. I continued to push forward and was passing several more people. I was feeling pretty good for a while and was finally able to pass 3 consecutive guys in my AG. I kept the pace strong and narrowed in on some people ahead of me...but by the 7km I was toast. I couldn't hold my pace and I was fading bad. I didn't have a huge gap behind to the next guy so I needed to keep pushing, but it was painfully hard.

It was either nutrition or pacing that killed my run. Probably a bit of both. While this was a PB run for me, I know I am capable to go faster.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My biggest limiter is my swimming. Out of all the people that beat me, only one, Woolstencroft, had a worse swim. The AG podium was a 2:06 , so I need to shave 4 minutes off the swim to have a chance. If I could ever get down to a 22m swim...I dunno.

Event comments:

The course was very fun and fast. One big swim loop and the bike had fresh, smooth pavement. The run course was okay - probably not the best run course I've done, but still pretty good.

Post race meal of chili and bun was good - but certainly not worth the $20 they wanted to charge for spectators.

They also didn't post Olympic results until after noon so I had to wait around a couple hours just to see how I did.

I would do the race again next year.

Last updated: 2011-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:06 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/43
Overall: 74/472
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: