AA SPORTS, LTD.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 30s
Overall Rank = 182/386
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Had a really hard time getting to sleep the night before and had not slept really great the prior night either. I think it was really my nerves. This was my first real Triathlon.I finally got to sleep about 11 and was up at 5 didn't feel rested and my stomach was in knots. Tried to eat some breakfast but had no appetite at all. I was got down about 3 bites of oatmeal and a half of a banana.
Event warmup:

I set up my transition area and tried to calm my nerves and get a little more food in but wasn't able to. I sipped some water and got in the lake to swim for about 5 minutes before they pulled everyone from the water for the start of the race.
Swim
  • 34m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a horrible swim. I think a combination of my nerves getting to me and my lack of experience swimming made me have a really hard time finding my pacing for the swim. Since this was my first race at this distance I just wasnt sure how much effort I could put in and still feel good coming out of the water. I learned that it is a lot more then what I did. Had a really hard time sighting also due to the sun being in my eyes.
What would you do differently?:

I need a lot more practice swimming and working on my pacing. This is definitely my week point.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

The transition was very long .25 miles from the water to where you mounted on your bike with the transition area right in the middle. Transition felt okay I just tried to get my bearings about me and not focus on how bad my swim was. My chain popped off during the run to the mounting line and it took me a good 30 seconds to get it back on before I could mount my bike.

Hustle a little more. Make sure my chain is in a gear where it wont pop off.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.90 mile/hr
Comments:

My stomach was still killing me from the lack of food and the nerves. Had a hard time even sipping water for the first 6 miles or so. Was moving at a decent pace but felt like I just should have been riding quicker. Tried to get a Gu in at about mile 12 but it made me gag so put it back away. Tried to drink some of my Gluekos with the exact same response so stuck with just water. Drank about 20 ounces or so. Got passed by another guy from the Portland Triathlon Club who told me to bring my knees in. I focused on this for the last half of the race and could feel a difference My Hamstrings started to get a little tight for the last 2 miles or so of the ride.

Push the ride harder. Figure out my nutrition.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Had about a .10 of a mile run to rack the bike. Worked on controlling my breathing. Got my running shoes on quick but forgot to tighten the elastic laces so had to stop for a second after I came out of transition to tighten them.

Work on being able to run barefoot. Running in the bike shoes sucks.
Run
  • 46m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt very heavy but was surprised to see that I was running about a 7:30 pace. The lack of eating was really starting to get to me though and was not feeling all there and stomach was still cramping a little.

Work on nutrition
Post race
Warm down:

My girlfriend brought me some water and food and I sat and finally got down a little bit of food. It took me about 4 hours or so after the race for my stomach to really feel decent again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience and nerves causing my stomach to be in knots and not get any food in.

Event comments:

I thought this was a great first Olympic for me to do. I wish my stomach would have cooperated better. My goal was 2:30 so if I would have had a better swim and could have got some food in I think I would have made my goal. It is hard to complain about 2nd in my division on my first race though.

Last updated: 2011-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:53 | 1640 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 333/386
Performance: Bad
Suit: TYR Full Sleeve
Course: One counter clockwise lap
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:05 | 24.85 miles | 21.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 133/386
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course with two legs to it. Almost totally flat with just one overpass and one underpass.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:56 | 06.21 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 149/386
Course: Out and back course almost totally flat with the last mile winding through the park into the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-14 6:36 PM

User image

Subject: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon

2011-06-15 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3549381

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon
2nd in your division is amazing! Great run time. Way to fight through the stomach stuff!
2011-06-20 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3551382

User image

Subject: RE: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon
Thanks so much
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed