World Triathlon Corporation
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 48m 47s
Overall Rank = 872/1206
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 24/40
Pre-race routine:

Arrive at the park with my wife, son, dgt about 9:45am..walk the mile up the dirt road to T1..already dropped off bike last night. Set up bike gear, walk the path from water to bike..put on some sunscreen..check bike stuff again then hang out with my family over near the swim start...talk to some guys in my AG...the 50 and above men all go together 9min after the pros...there is a 78yo man from Canada that has been doing tris for 40yrs. A reporter with a TV camera does an interview with him. I suit up and wear my booties and insulated cap for the 53 degree water. It's sunny and in the upper 60's with very little wind.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 57m 23s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I say my swim performance is average because my average is poor...I really am a poor swimmer...my goal again this year will be to take swim lessons in the fall if I am to continue doing tris.
My navigation was actually much better...I tend to swim to the right but I sighted more often and stayed on course most of the time. I tried to stay to the outside (to the left of the mainstream) so I didn't get swum over too often but it was difficult because the bouys were to the right.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim...also, my hands were very numb in T1...I learned a trick to put vaseline on the outside of my hands to keep them warmer. I'm told it really works.
Once again, my swim was average but average for me is poor!
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Last year 2 young female "strippers" had trouble getting my suit off...I think that's where I got the 2 holes in my rt shoulder. This year I went right up to a burley guy who had that suit off in a flash! I liked the fact that my booties stayed on for the run to my bike.
This was a long and very interesting transition, looking back on it.
I was very cold and my hands were very numb. I know now I was not thinking straight...I spent way too much time trying to get my socks and gloves on. My hands just would not work. I thought of going sockless for the bike, as I started to put the socks in my bag with the wet suit, but then realized I would not have my socks for the run. I never thought of stuffing them in my pocket and putting them on later. Same with the gloves...I could have stopped 20 minutes later on the bike, put on those socks and gloves, and still saved 3-4 minutes. I also put my helmet on backwards!!! I realized right away it didn't feel right LOL!!! I finally started heading to the mount line and saw my family along the fence...seeing them always gives me a big boost.

Vaseline on the outside of my hands, go barefoot on the bike, put the gloves in my pocket, and a pair of socks in T2.
Bike
  • 2h 59m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike and had the goal of 3hrs (fastest time was 3:15). I kept watching my time as I got closer and closer...I pushed hard down Capitol Blvd to make it to T2 with 30sec to spare!

We had a really cold and wet spring which kept me from doing more long distance rides. I did few 50-80mi rides but would have liiked to do more. I think that would have helped me a lot.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Had a good T2...family was right along side me at the fence...it was nice to let tham know how I did on the bike and how I felt. Their presence at these races really motivates me to go on.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 19m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm just not a very fast runner...I wish I had more to give on the run but I don't think it would help to slow down on the bike any, especially since that is where I make up some time. I don't think I could give it any more mental effort...I was pretty much maxed out. I was a bit disappointed in my run and was hoping for at least 10min less.

Train in a way to get faster...I'll look into it!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around with my family..talk to some friends that ran the race..drink 5 chocolate milks and head for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm just a BOP and will have to be satisfied being there...I think I can get faster but someone has to be BOP so all the others can be MOP and FOP!!!!

Event comments:

I didn't get a massage after the race but would have liked to. By then it has been a very long day for the family and they are a bit anxious to get home. I did go see my massage therapist 2 days later for 1.5 glorious hours of stretching and massage. I also had my easiest recovery yet and i attribute that, at least in part, to my massage therapist. The best thing about today's race is I did it 19 minutes faster than last year!
Will I do it next year? Give me some more time to forget....

Last updated: 2011-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:23 | 2112 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/40
Overall: 1156/1206
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: Lucky Peak Res...triangle course due to the depth of the water..is was a rectangle last year, which I liked better because I swim "bouy to bouy" and the distance between bouys is closer because there are 4 of them!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:35 | 56 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/40
Overall: 896/1206
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Same as last year..I had ridden it several times in training which really helps to know what's coming up.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:19:17 | 13.1 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/40
Overall: 872/1206
Performance: Average
Course: Same as last year..all along the river greebelt and under the trees.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-14 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2011-06-15 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3549625

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise

Nice race.   Except for the water temp, it was about a perfect day.  Great time on the bike.  If I can stay injury-free, I'll see you there next year!

2011-06-15 10:56 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Nice job Tom. It was nice to recognize someone out on the bike course.
2011-06-15 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Congratulations and nice job! I think we forget the pain, so I'll see you next year!
2011-06-15 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Thanks you guys....hope to see some of you at the Spudman or Emmett....Tom
2011-06-16 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Nice work...I thought I was being excessive with 3 chocolate milks. Wow they were awesome.

Glad to hear your recovery has gone well, the mental one in which you forget the pain will go well too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed