General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hopefully a little bit of motivation... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-15 10:55 AM

Subject: Hopefully a little bit of motivation...

Yesterday I accomplished something that has not happened in 11 years since I was a senior in High School; I dropped below 170lbs.  I know your thinking, so what, but let me tell you a little story:

About 3.5 years ago I found myself in a bad place without even realizing it.  I was experiencing first hand a slow steady death, one that was unavoidable.  In High School I was a 3 sport varsity athlete from freshman year playing major roles in soccer, basketball, and track.  In my Sophmore year I went to the state finals for the mile and 800.  When I graduated HS I weighed 155 pounds, and was in incredible shape, running about 8-12 miles per day.  I got engaged to my HS sweetheart right away and it all went down hill from there.  Three years later I dropped out of college because I needed to "find myself".  I decided at that time my life ambition would be to work in the parts department of a Toyota dealership, :/ At this time I had become very overweight; 254 lbs to be exact.  In three years I had managed to gain 100 lbs.  In November of 2007 my HS sweetheart fiance left me, and rightfully so.  I was an overweight, lazy scrub with no education and no ambition, and that wasnt me. 

So I turned my life around.  I was too big to run so I started with cycling.  Originally I had a weightloss goal of 50lbs, and when the trainer at a local gym laughed at me I told him F you i'll break below 200.  And so began my recovery.

Now here we are in 2011 and as of yesterday I am at 169.3 lbs and getting ready for my first triathlon.  In the years past I spent a lot of time on myself, getting healthy both physically and emotionally.  I am happy to say that I am also getting married next June to my true soulmate.

Obviously there is a lot more to the story, and if you have read this far I applaud you.  The point of my story? I know what its like to be at the top, stumble to the bottom, and have to climb your way back up, and ANYONE can do it, and its NEVER too late!  We are all amazing and beautiful people!

Lets see if I can get the before and after pics to work:

Before: I am on the left

After: With my fiance

2011-06-15 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3550382

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Hopefully a little bit of motivation...
Well Done. We should be the ones applauding you.
2011-06-15 12:04 PM

Great job and definitely inspirational and motivational.  Thank you for sharing.
2011-06-15 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma

Thanks for sharing your story & congrats on your recovery. My downhill slide started when my wife got preggo. I blew up bigger than her. Be glad you got your motivation from a trainer (even if it was negative), I got mine in a hospital bed. It is still easy for me to get sidetracked, I have to watch my scale like a hawk.

2011-06-15 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Congratulations on both achievements and thanks for sharing.  It's always good to see some inspiration!
2011-06-22 8:39 AM

St Louis
Definitely motivational! Thank you. I needed this.

2011-06-23 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico
Congrats and thanks for sharing.  Keep up the good fight!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hopefully a little bit of motivation... Rss Feed