General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-08-12 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3550668

User image

Regular
Bronx
Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread
I stayed at the finish until midnight last night, and MAD PROPS to you all! Word was that the course was brutal. Great job, all!

2012-08-13 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4359310

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

katieduffy - 2012-08-12 12:16 PM I stayed at the finish until midnight last night, and MAD PROPS to you all! Word was that the course was brutal. Great job, all!

I crossed the line at 16:29:15 (clock time) so you probably saw me cross.  What a great expierience it was and the finish line crowd was awesome.  And yes the course was brutal (for me atleast).

Edited by obrats 2012-08-13 8:33 AM
2012-08-13 2:21 PM

I think it was brutal for all of us.....

My 2nd IM, and was so much harder than the first (apart from that nice little swim at the start !!)

2012-08-13 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Thought there would be more finisher posts on here today! Congrats to all the finishers!

Personally I PR'd by an hour on a harder course then last. Don't let all the posts about the easy swim get you down, the run course made up for it! Ouch!

See you all at the next one!
2012-08-13 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

Hey All- Congrats to everyone who finished and volunteered.  And a huge thanks to the volunteers   For my first IM I went 13:33 and I am deeply satisfied after missing 12 weeks starting February with a 2nd metatarsal stress fracture, and then a Grade III ankle sprain on the afternoon of the 4th of July.  On the morning of the 4th, i did my longest run at 9 miles.  I literally could not run train for most of my schedule leading up to this race, and to face a sadistic marathon course like that (also my first 26.2) made this all the more gratifying for me.  I dont have any experience with marathons, but front loading the course with hills really was grueling.  And those switchbacks at the end? wow.  

The nice little push during the swim (which felt amazing by the way...my 2nd time in the Hudson) was taken back in spades on the marathon.  I thought the bike course was very fair, but the roads near Suffern were terrible.  I front flatted at mile 70, but i changed my 404 in 3 minutes according to my garmin.  Dont ask me how, as I always struggle changing tubes.

As a New Yorker, I think the organizers did a great job.  There is plenty of complaining around but people should have anticipated hiccups for a first time event.  Prayers for the man who passed during the swim, which definitely has curbed my personal enthusiasm.  At $1,200 for 2013, I think they are insane, so I am glad I was a part of the first.  I will post a race report if anyone is interested in the next day or so.

I hope you all had as satisfying of a day as I did and exceeded your expectations and goals.  If not, wipe away the pain and zip that wetsuit up another day.  Monday came just like it always does.      

2012-08-13 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4361084

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

Congrats on the 1 hour PR! that is fantastic.  Well done Shawn. 

-Dave

2012-08-14 7:22 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
About 13:25 for me for my first IM. I went in without a real time goal, but sort of thought this would be about when I would finish. The swim was a little faster and run a little slower than I guessed, but my overall time was about what I predicted. All in all pretty happy with the way the race played out for me. I learned a few lessons about racing this distance, and am already thinking about the possibility of IM #2 sometime down the road (probably not in 2013, though).

My race in a nutshell:

I really liked the swim, and not just because it was fast... I thought swimming along the Palisades was really nice, and the time trial start meant minimal contact with other swimmers. The last few hundred yards through all the churned up silt was a little nasty, though....

I thought I paced the bike pretty well. I got a little off on my nutrition plan and over-did nutrition a bit in the middle, leaving myself feeling a little bloated. I realized what was going on and backed off the intensity for a bit and switched to just liquid nutrition until that feeling passed. Got to the run feeling pretty strong.

The run was the run.... I started off feeling pretty good. I walked most of the hills and the aid stations. I hit the GWB feeling great - probably a little too good... I picked up my pace over the bridge and for the first mile or so after the bridge, but probably picked it up a little too much. By about mile 18 or 19 I started to pay for that.... Those first few miles after crossing the bridge, after getting past the crowds on the NY side and getting onto the river path were probably my least favorite part of the run... Not much crowd support, and just sort of boring.... Of course, it could be that I had already been moving for 11 or 12 hours at that point.... I ended up walking more of the last several miles than I thought I would, but I'm okay with that for my first IM on a tough course & a hot day. I chock up walking more to over-doing the first half of the run and the weather than anything else. The finish was fun, and all-in-all I consider it not a bad day for IM #1.
2012-08-14 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran

Whew#  First IM done in 14:04. 

Was hoping to break 13 hrs but I am satisfied.  I can honestly say I really enjoyed the day. 

Not sure I will do this IM again, but I will race this distance again.  RR to follow.

Thoughts and prayers to the family of the athlete that passed away.  So very sad.

2012-08-14 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4362191

2nd Ironman for me and a PR by 1 hour and 40mn! Finished in 12h04mn, which was faster than I expected. Swim was fast and fun, except the few yards before the end! I though the bike ride was fair, rolling hills, nothing to hard (6H10mn). The run course was brutal. Took it easy on all the uphills, walk all the aid station and felt great the all time. Ended up running a 4H45 marathon.

I thought the volunteer were great as well as the spectators (when they were there!-)

Wonder if there will be a 2013 Edition? $1,200, I won't sign up for this price for sure!

2012-08-14 8:15 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Back in Canada - finished my first IM - it was awesome. Good luck to everyone in the rest of your pursuits. I am starting to think about which one I will do next year!

Any suggestions?

KC

2012-08-14 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Good stuff out there everyone. I did okay, there is always room for improvement right? Did see Shawn out there a few times and he was doing well. Toughest course out of the 6 I've done. Let the haters keep hating, most of them would complain about a perfectly run IM and the others probably don't have the sack to even try one. Be proud of your training and the end result. See you all soon....Chris

2012-08-15 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
There is talk that this event is dead and will never happen again, if that ends up being true, how cool is it that we were able to do it?
2012-08-15 12:56 PM

User image

New York, NY

If this was the only race, we were really fortunate. It was a tough race, but an excellent experience. It'll be a shame if it's cancelled given how much effort went into getting it off the ground.

Registration wouldn't have been reversed due to logistic or course concerns from athletes and spectators. Those can easily be addressed over the next year. Race organizers must be getting backlash from the municipalities regarding the closure of the Palisades and complaints from cranky residents near the finish-line.

Imagine what the local coverage could have been had this not coincided with the Olympics or if we had Lance Armstrong on the course...

2012-08-15 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4363654

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Lookin good out there yourself Chris, glad we got a chance to catch up at the beginning, and again at the finish area for a few.

Don't know if he told you but Joel ended up getting his Kona slot and I came in at 11:45 after a miserable run.

Thinking about Cozumel next year, little more relaxing atmosphere then NYC. I don't know about anyone else, but I was stressed in the days leading up to the race just because of the logistics and the potential swim cancellation. I knew what it would be going into it, but damn, never been so stressed in the 2 days leading up to a race.
2012-08-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4363584

Glad that is over! 2nd IM and had 45 minute PR. Tough race on an number of levels: logistics, humidity, hilly run, isolated bike, etc. Maybe not the most exuberant, well-spectated race any of us will ever do but nonetheless a huge challenge. Run, in particular, I thought was brutal. Be proud of yourselves for perservering and enjoy your recovery.

P.S. Hold on to that finisher gear....it may turn out to be a collector's item!
2012-08-26 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=457693

Finally got to a race report.

Edited by obrats 2012-08-26 10:38 AM

2012-08-27 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ
I am contemplating signing up for IM Wisconsin 2013.  Has anyone that did NYC this year done IM Wisconsin?  I hear a lot about the hills on the bike in Wisconsin and was wondering how the course compares to NYC?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2014-03-13 5:22 AM
in reply to: aintaround

Hey

I was also happened there it was a great experience. here was a huge crowd and the championship was very interesting and fantastic. Anyone here knows that when will be the next championship will held?

Weehawken NJ Locksmith

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27