General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did?
OptionResults
Always knew I wanted to do an IM someday36 Votes - [42.86%]
Said I never would but eventually did40 Votes - [47.62%]
Never really gave it much thought8 Votes - [9.52%]

2011-06-16 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3551897

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did?

used to say "those people are nuts!"

but finished my first oly last week, scheduled HIM in October whicH i am confident I will complete, the next thing would be an IM for me!!!......I know myself that after I accomplish the 70.3 I will not stop!!.......I want a Tattoo!!

2011-06-16 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
Warwick, RI

Did a sprint one year at the end of summer, loved it.  Said I would never do an IM, that didn't last long, did IM AZ my first season! I must have been nuts! I was 50lbs overweight, had only done a sprint, no background in swimming, biking, or running. What the heck was I thinking!

Over that year, I lost the weight, got in the best shape of my life, forged great friendships, and pushed myself way beyond what I thought I could do.

I'm on my fourth season now and I still look back on that season, the training, all the races in preparation, and it was one of the best years of my life. 

If you're on the fence, hop over. It's worth it Laughing

-Dave

2011-06-16 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

When I first started doing triathlons I had done many marathons and many bike century rides.  I remember saying to myself that JUST doing a marathon or JUST doing a century made me really really tired and sore and I couldn't even imagine trying to do them both on the same day.  So I guess I never really said I "wouldn't" do it.  I just didn't think it was conceivably possible.  I mean, a marathon would WASTE me for days!

And now I've done two IM's...I'm definitely in the camp that it isn't as hard as people make it out to be.  If you have an iota of perseverance you can do an IM.  I'm not calling it easy, but I think a large percentage of the population CAN do an IM even if they think they can't.

2011-06-16 3:40 PM

User image

New user

I watched Julie Moss on the Wide World Of Sports in 1982 and thought at the time that it seemed like an impossible dream. It took me 20 years to take up the sport and six more years to screw up the courage to enter an Ironman, but I finished ImMoo in 2008.

It wasn't pretty, but it was the ultimate triumph of a tiny bit of athletic ability and endurance combined with sheer stubbornness. If you don't break mentally, you can do it!

2011-06-16 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3552729

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Rogillio - 2011-06-16 11:27 AM
trix - 2011-06-16 12:53 PM

never will do an IM, unless i somehow find 20 hrs in my schedule to train doing a triathlon for a story is not of much interest to me. 

First off, never say never.  :-)

Second, I finished my 2nd IM at 14:30 and never really got over 10 hrs/week.  The training was an experience I will cherish my whole life.  The actually race was enjoyable too.  It's not about a story...it's about a memory (IMO)....and in the final analysis, when we are old and grey, all we have really have that is truly our own are memories.

x2

I never said never in the first place.  IM distance interested me from the start.  Did my first one in 2006 when I was 40.  My 8th one is June 26th at IMCDA. 

Yes, it's not about the story or the tattoo (or the bike, for that matter).  It's about the enjoying the training, enjoying spending time with training partners, the satisfaction of individual accomplishment, the excitement of the race start, the agony of run mile 23 combined with the thrill of just a 5K left. 

Below is what I wrote about the finish of IMC 2009 when I had to sprint to make my sub 13 goal, which I thought I'd missed by several minutes.  This is what it's about.

Before long I was running past the cheers of my fellow JFTer’s on Lakeshore Drive, grabbing a drink at the last aid station and making the last turnaround to run past them again. That’s when I was stunned by Jill yelling “you can still make 13!” Thanks so much Jill for saying that, because although I thought I was running as fast could, I dug deep and found a little bit more.

I could hear the announcer Steve King saying something like “Let’s cheer everyone in for a 13 hour finish – 2 minutes to go!”  All I could do was run toward the finish line as hard as I could hearing him count down “90 seconds to go”, “less than a minute to go”, then “30 seconds”.  I passed three or four runners and the crowd was really cheering but I could barely hear them over the sound of my hammering breath and pounding feet.  My Garmin says I did the last quarter mile at a 6:57 pace with an average HR of 189 and a peak of 197, which must have been right as I entered the finish chute and knew I had made it.

I ran the last few yards with my arms overhead in victory, and broke the tape at 12:59:46, falling onto the catcher on the other side.  She got me standing and walking and I saw my fellow JFTer John Marquis just a moment later and screamed “I made it!”  I knew he was a finish line volunteer and I was so happy he stuck around after his shift was over.  Thanks John!   I also saw Theresa and Lana on the other side of the barricade and I was so happy that they had seen my “big finish”. 

http://brucemorgan.blogs.com/afc/2009/09/ironman-canada-2009-race-report.html

2011-06-16 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
meh...its just my personality.  trust me when i say never this would only change if i had 20 hrs of free time per week to train.

Edited by trix 2011-06-16 5:26 PM

2013-10-16 8:26 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Originally posted by Rogillio

trix - 2011-06-16 12:53 PM

never will do an IM, unless i somehow find 20 hrs in my schedule to train doing a triathlon for a story is not of much interest to me. 

First off, never say never.  :-)

Second, I finished my 2nd IM at 14:30 and never really got over 10 hrs/week.  The training was an experience I will cherish my whole life.  The actually race was enjoyable too.  It's not about a story...it's about a memory (IMO)....and in the final analysis, when we are old and grey, all we have really have that is truly our own are memories.

I've not done an IM, nor is it currently on the cards, but I was going to say exactly the same thing
2013-10-16 8:48 PM
in reply to: rmt

User image

Pro
Houston
My husband said he would never do one and did IMFL last year.
I said I would never and I am doing IMAZ next month.

Not wanting to do one is OK and it is OK to just say you don't want to do one just don't come up with excuses why you can't.
I have 5 kids a job and homeschool my children. I did take a break from coaching volleyball this season knowing my training
would be thick during the season. You can make time if you want to. If you don't want to that is OK too.
2013-10-16 9:10 PM

I guess I am backwards to everybody, my first triathlon is going to be an IM. I've never done anything like this, I came from racing motorcycles and dirt track cars. But as these hobbies became to expensive (not that this sport is much cheaper other than after the start up cost) I decide to jump into the deep end of triathlons.
2013-10-16 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4878856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I haven't yet but I am signed up to do Boulder next August. I call when I hit submit on my payment for the IM my "Oh S#%t" moment.
2013-10-16 10:17 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Doing an IM was definitely an evolving thing for me.
My husband said "never," and then did an IM. Now he says "one and done." We'll see.

2013-10-17 7:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
Dang, someone is digging deep into the BT archives.....

I'd like to add a secondary question: Who said "That's it, I'm done with IM. BTDT. No more IM for me!" - And then later signed up for another IM?

Yeah, that'd be me. Last IM was 2008. Got injurred training for IM 3 and decided I was done with IMs forever.....aallllmost sold my tri bike. Then they announced an IM 2 hrs from home in a river that I've spent a lot of time in/on and it drew me in like a moth to the flame. I'm all in now!

Edited by Rogillio 2013-10-17 7:33 AM
2013-10-17 7:51 AM
in reply to: trix

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by trix

this is me.

of course I have also said I would never run a marathon and now I am doing Boston 2014
so my kids are saying I will do an IM but I do not have the time to train
2013-10-17 11:10 AM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I might, rabbit, I just might...

Not sure, though.  I threw a HIM onto the end of my season this year, and can still recall the (totally awesome) butterflies waiting for the gun - "how is this going to feel?" kind of thing.  Then after doing it and immediately thinking it wasn't so long or hard, I wondered (wonder) what an IM is like.

Buuuuuut, having done HMs and full marathons, half is a whole lot less than half (I've always said a marathon isn't half over until you hit mile 21).  So, not sure about IM.

Also, in the post-mortem of this past season, those 10-15 hour weeks really cut into things that we've always done as a family (boating, fishing, whale watching, etc. - didn't do much or any of that this past year, as I was hammering along on tri's and the Better Half was training for a marathon - kids were busy, too, but I usually grab everyone and just go to the boat at least a few times no matter what).  So I'm not sure I would feel "good" about upping the training (or even that level again in the next couple years), if it cut out that family time in the next few years.

Once the kids are a bit bigger (another 4-5 years), then maybe.

I'll have to come back to this post then and re-read this! 

Matt

2013-10-17 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Depends on how you define "never"

There was a time (watching IM coverage on TV in the early 80's) when I said "never." But, once I started doing tri's (2005) I wasn't saying "never." As it turns out, I've done two now and want to do more.

I do recall a friend of mine suggesting I could sign up for a 10K/HM (this was back in 2005) and I told him "Nope, I don't like running *THAT* much!"

Please don't look at my race history or even my logs...I've now run 10 marathons/ultras and logged about 5000 miles running since proclaiming that I don't like running that much...
2013-10-17 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Did my first marathon this spring and after it I swore that I had zero interest in the IM distance, ever.

I'm doing B2B Full next week.

2013-10-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Rogillio Dang, someone is digging deep into the BT archives..... I'd like to add a secondary question: Who said "That's it, I'm done with IM. BTDT. No more IM for me!" - And then later signed up for another IM? Yeah, that'd be me. Last IM was 2008. Got injurred training for IM 3 and decided I was done with IMs forever.....aallllmost sold my tri bike. Then they announced an IM 2 hrs from home in a river that I've spent a lot of time in/on and it drew me in like a moth to the flame. I'm all in now!

During the last half of the run of each and every one...

I think was going to keep my word since it's been almost a year since my last and DON'T want to do another...  But the last couple weeks, now that the weather is cooler here in Vegas, the idea of one crept into my head...

What I think is funny, is when I was training for 10k years and years ago, a marathon really seemed difficult/impossible.  My friend and I used to marvel/laugh at the idea of doing one AFTER 2.4 and 112 mile ride since both of THOSE seemed almost too much to handle.  Funny how feasible something get's as long as you slowly work at it.  Suddenly, you are there, doing it.

Edited by Kido 2013-10-17 1:11 PM
2013-10-17 1:53 PM
in reply to: wannanorseman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by wannanorseman

msteiner - 2011-06-16 8:48 AM Needs to be an option for "wants to do an IM, but semi-afraid of doing one".

x2

A year and a half later from posting this I finished IMAZ.  Funny looking back at this.

2013-10-17 3:53 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

I got into endurance sport as a last dash hope to cling to my youth as I turned 40.  I signed up for a half-marathon on a whim, found a training plan, and started running.

Said I was going to be one-and-done with running after that. 

2 weeks before my first half-marathon, I was putting my credit card number in on Active.com registering for my second.  After that race, I said I'd never do a full.

A year later at that race as I crossed the finish line for the full marathon, I said I'd never do another. 

I'm 80-some-odd days away from the Disney Marathon... Which I'm running the day after the Half, and the 10K the day prior, and the 5K the day prior to the 10K.

So let's just say I'm not ever ruling out the possibility of doing a 140.6 race. 

2013-10-17 5:32 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
PNW
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by wannanorseman

msteiner - 2011-06-16 8:48 AM Needs to be an option for "wants to do an IM, but semi-afraid of doing one".

x2

A year and a half later from posting this I finished IMAZ.  Funny looking back at this.

Funny for me, too. My answer hasn't changed one iota! ;-)

Not afraid, don't doubt I could do it if I really wanted to...I'm just not interested. I guess I don't "LOVE" the sport that much. There are too many other things I like to do with my time!
2013-10-18 7:18 AM

User image

Elite
I'm in the pre-stage of this train of thought. When I started tri training three years ago I did a sprint at the end of the summer and jumped right to a HIM the following June. I continually said a full IM is for the crazy people. I've since done a few more sprints and four Olympics. My long term plan is IM St. George 70.3 in May 2014, going to volunteer at IM CDA in June 2014 to see it up close, sign up for IM CDA 2015. I really really like the training. The funny thing is DH knew three years ago after I completed that first sprint that the words 'I think I want to do a full Ironman' would eventually come out of my mouth!

2013-10-18 7:31 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Champion
Alabama
It seems many people think you have to lay down your life on the altar of training to do an IM. This is simply not true. Here are 3 BT triathlon training plans.

Intermediate Full Ironman - 20 Week – max hrs week: 15
Intermediate Half Ironman - 16 Weeks max hrs week: 13
Intermediate Olympic - 10 Week – max hrs week: 14

For these 3 plans, the maximum hrs per week is negligible. You may train a little longer but unless you are a total couch potato the increase in training is not that much...and only for 3 or 4 month.

I post this not to convice those that say they don't want to do one but to let people who might be considering an IM know that life does not have to stop to prepare for an IM.
2013-10-18 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

In the back of my head I've wanted to do one for a long time, but even before I did my first triathlon I wasn't sure if I could swim well enough to do the full distance.  It wasn't until I took swimming seriously (and now ironically it's my favorite and best of the three disciplines) that I realized I could do an Ironman.  Then it became an issue of whether I wanted to commit the time, energy and resources to do one.  Finally did it in 2012 and then I said I don't think I'd ever do another one.  Ironically, I am signed up for IMWI in 2014 after missing all the fun in 2013.  Strange how that works.

2013-10-18 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
I was the one who said I would never do a full marathon and did an Ironman. My plan was to stop at a half marathon but caught the TriBug and the rest is history.
2013-10-18 8:48 AM
in reply to: Maks Tri

I started running in early 2010 to train for a half marathon. I never did 5k or 10k races. I had a decent time despite the IT band problems so once I healed I was ready to try another. I kept improving and ended up running 6 HMs within 12 months. During that time, a friend talked me into a duathlon. I loved it. Unfortunately, there aren't too many duathlons around and figured I needed to learn to swim if I wanted to keep doing multi-sport events. Swimming 25 yards was tough when I started. Did one short pool sprint tri in fall 2011. Thanks to some friends, I did my first OWS in mid 2012. Jumped to Oly distance in Aug 2012.

I always though 70.3 and 140.6 people were crazy but I liked the challenge of the longer distances. I registered for a 70.3 in May 2013. Race day conditions were brutal but I slogged through a slow race. Around this time, I met another great group of people that I started training with. Most of them were registered for a 140.6 this year. After consulting with a coach, I hired him and he put me on a 12-week plan for IM Louisville. I was way behind on bike training but had a decent run base. Everything came together beautifully on race day. I also tackled my second HIM last week even though I did little training in the 7 weeks between IM and the 2nd HIM. I still PR'd the HIM distance by over an hour.

I'm registered for my 2nd IM next fall.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did? Rss Feed  

of 3