Annapolis, Maryland
United States
Great Chesapeake Bay Swim, Inc
Total Time = 2h 19m 44s
Overall Rank = 214/622
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had been looking forward to this race for a long time. As a long-time Maryland resident this one had been on my "bucket list" for a while.

Awkward start time of 11:30. Wasn't really sure when or how much to eat. Ended up eating breakfast at 7ish and then a banana and PB&J at around 10:30. Was a bit full but I think it helped having the extra fuel.

Hemmed and hawed about wearing a wetsuit, but finally ended up using the sleeveless. I guess it was an ok decision, but I got chafed like crazy even with Body Glide.
Event warmup:

Yeah, right. More like trying to stay cool.

Tried to listen to the pre-race briefing by the race director. But it was hard to hear over the obnoxious guy sitting next to me who kept loudly talking to his buddy about how he DNFs this event half the time he enters. Well duh, idiot, it's because you aren't listening to the current conditions.

Race director said the currents would be tame today. I was heartened by this, but I am not so sure he was right (see later).
Swim
  • 2h 19m 44s
  • 7744 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started way to the right to get out of the way of some of the masses. Even so I got clubbed in the eyes a few times. Swam the 1.5 miles very strong and was feeling very positive about things. Tried to draft a couple times, but it was hard to stay close to people with all the open water out there.

Then at about mile two, the current took off (maybe due to the storms coming in?). It was pushing me very hard south, and I basically had to swim at a 45-degree angle for the next mile or two just to keep between the spans. Every time I would look up I would be pointed almost directly toward the north span, but was gradually being pulled under the south span. I saw a kayaker start to head my direction so I turned on the jets to put some distance between me and a DQ.

One thing that surprised me was how much the water temperature fluctuated over the course of the swim. At times I swear it was 90+ degrees and I felt like I was going to fry. Then a few yards later it would turn icy.

My endurance flagged a bit just before mile 4, I probably lost a bit of time there. Turned on the gas again for the last half mile but it was harder to sight after leaving the bridge, so I zig-zagged a bit.

What would you do differently?:

My goal for the race was to get in under 2 hours. Obviously that didn't happen. My swim volume probably wasn't where it needed to be this spring. But I know I can swim that pace in a non-current OWS, so I have to believe a lot of it was due to current. Looking at the time of the field compared to last year, it looks 10-20 minutes slower across the board. So I think that strong current around mile 2-3 made a big difference.

Probably should have approached this less like a race and more like a casual swim event. I took a couple moments just to stick my head up and look at the bridge spans on either side of me. Totally inspiring; I should have done more of that just to suck it all in.
Post race
Warm down:

Totally spent at the end. Too tired to even eat or drink for a few minutes. Then had to hustle back to my car to beat the thunderstorms rolling in. Too bad - I would have liked to hang out longer.

But especially too bad for the ~80 people they pulled from the water because the storms were coming. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been to swim ~4 miles and then get pulled for a DNF. Hope they let those folks bypass the lottery next year.

Event comments:

Really an awesome event. While a bit disappointed with my performance, I am totally glad I did it.

I was shocked to see a couple people take it less-than-seriously. Don't underestimate this race. One of the guys this year suffered a heart attack during the swim and died. He was only 43 years old, very sad.

Last updated: 2010-11-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
02:19:44 | 7744 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/622
Performance:
Suit: De Soto sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: